SIU needs to remove Lowery now

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: SIU needs to remove Lowery now

Postby pafan » December 13th, 2011, 6:07 pm

Rodney Watson's only NCAA head coaching job is at Southern Indiana. He followed Rick Herdes, a coach who won a lot of games but was forced to resign in disgrace over academic rules violations. The major difference between Southern Indiana and Southern Illinois is that there were quality players on the roster and being recruited at Southern Indiana when Watson took over. Wouldn't so much be the case at SIU.

I think many people see the Southern Indiana job as a place for SIU to "park" Watson close to C'Dale but away from Lowery, privately telling him that he is the next man up. Kind of like Purdue did when Painter was at SIU.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UE 71 » December 13th, 2011, 7:12 pm

xsaluki wrote:I would assume there would be a decent search, but I think that any new salary range is going to limit the options.

I agree that it takes a different skill set to build a program as opposed to maintain or build upon a decent program.

I also think it takes a different skill set to tear a program into tiny pieces and shove it to the absolute bottom of Division 1 and then take it hostage. If anyone is looking for a coach with those kinds of skills, we can send him your way.

Obama
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ace Dad » December 13th, 2011, 9:45 pm

UE 71 wrote:
xsaluki wrote:I would assume there would be a decent search, but I think that any new salary range is going to limit the options.

I agree that it takes a different skill set to build a program as opposed to maintain or build upon a decent program.

I also think it takes a different skill set to tear a program into tiny pieces and shove it to the absolute bottom of Division 1 and then take it hostage. If anyone is looking for a coach with those kinds of skills, we can send him your way.

Obama

As I say to my students, mid grade military oficers when they have a slip of the tongue and refer to the Commander in Chief as "Obama:"

"Regardless of your political affiliation, the proper way to refer to an American President is President Obama."

Now, can we get back to basketball?
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » December 14th, 2011, 9:47 am

Ace Dad wrote:

As I say to my students, mid grade military oficers when they have a slip of the tongue and refer to the Commander in Chief as "Obama:"

"Regardless of your political affiliation, the proper way to refer to an American President is President Obama."

Now, can we get back to basketball?

Really? So we should have addressed both Bush's as President Obama? I don't think we addressed Clinton as President Obama, either.

In my opinion, regardless of political affiliation, the proper way to address any president is President, followed by his name. Not all presidents are President Obama.

As far as Lowery goes, he needs to go. The guy was paid a lot of money to perform, he hasn't. It's not like he's being paid D-2 coaches money, while not at the top of the D-1 pay scale, he is making more than 3/4 of the coaches out there and the performance hasn't matched the compensation.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 14th, 2011, 10:17 am

Ace Dad wrote:As I say to my students, mid grade military oficers when they have a slip of the tongue and refer to the Commander in Chief as "Obama:"

If you are in the military, and the President is your ultimate boss, I agree. One must always respect one's boss. I sure hope that you were as strict in your concern about titles when others were in the white house.

I'm in the private sector, and Obama is not my boss, so I feel like I can call him whatever I like. The only such things that would fit past the PG filter of this site would probably be "destroyer of our economy", "King of Unemployment Creation", "an Epic Mistake", "Czar of low approval ratings" and "absolutely clueless when it comes to job creation and small business development."

Now, back to basketball.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ihsi » December 14th, 2011, 10:21 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:As I say to my students, mid grade military oficers when they have a slip of the tongue and refer to the Commander in Chief as "Obama:"

If you are in the military, and the President is your ultimate boss, I agree. One must always respect one's boss. I sure hope that you were as strict in your concern about titles when others were in the white house.

I'm in the private sector, and Obama is not my boss, so I feel like I can call him whatever I like. The only such things that would fit past the PG filter of this site would probably be "destroyer of our economy", "King of Unemployment Creation", "an Epic Mistake", "Czar of low approval ratings" and "absolutely clueless when it comes to job creation and small business development."

Now, back to basketball.

Former President Obama works for me :Cheers:
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ace Dad » December 14th, 2011, 11:56 am

LMAO!
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » December 14th, 2011, 1:05 pm

I know contractual issues are tricky. But I wonder how feasible it would be to incorporate a structured buyout into coach's contracts. Something with threshholds that change the amount based on the past 2-3 seasons of performance. For example:

If, in the past two seasons:
- Team finishes 1st-3rd at least once buyout is 100% of annual salary times years remaining.
- Team finishes 4th-6th or worse in conference in both years, buyout is 75% of annual salary times years remaining.
- Team finishes 7th or worse in conference in both years, buyout is 50% of annual salary times years remaining.
- Team finishes in last one time and over half the players you recruited are gone before their seniors seasons you resign in shame and pay back the last two years of salary.

Would coaches agree to something like that? (Ok, except that last one).
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 14th, 2011, 1:51 pm

RoyalShock wrote:I know contractual issues are tricky. But I wonder how feasible it would be to incorporate a structured buyout into coach's contracts. Something with threshholds that change the amount based on the past 2-3 seasons of performance. For example:

If, in the past two seasons:
- Team finishes 1st-3rd at least once buyout is 100% of annual salary times years remaining.
- Team finishes 4th-6th or worse in conference in both years, buyout is 75% of annual salary times years remaining.
- Team finishes 7th or worse in conference in both years, buyout is 50% of annual salary times years remaining.
- Team finishes in last one time and over half the players you recruited are gone before their seniors seasons you resign in shame and pay back the last two years of salary.

Would coaches agree to something like that? (Ok, except that last one).

When it comes to contracts, essentially anything is possible. The problem is that both parties have to be in agreement.

In the Lowery-SIU case, at the time that contract was entered into, Lowery was was coming off of several conference titles and a Sweet Sixteen. He was receiving some buzz about being an up and coming coach. At the same time, SIU had lost two previous successful coaches and was hearing from boosters/alumni about potentially losing a third. As a result, Lowery had substantially more leverage in the negotiations and presumably would have rejected the language you propose, as would probably almost any successful coach.

If you are a successful coach and you know a school desperately wants to keep/hire you, you get to make the demands.

If you are a brand new coach desperate for your first D1 head coaching job, or a coach coming off of an unsuccessful tenure or scandal at your previous employer, you may accept the terms you outlined just to get a job again.

It is called leverage. In this particular case, Lowery had it and used it. SIU either had to accept the terms or risk losing him. Hindsight shows that SIU got the raw end of the deal, but at the time the increased compensation seemed to be reasonable when compared to that paid to Lowery's peers.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby troutangler » December 16th, 2011, 1:52 am

ihsi wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:

Now, back to basketball.

Former President Obama works for me :Cheers:

You'll get to say that in January 2017, because none of the idiots your party is trotting out there are going to beat him next year.
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball