SIU needs to remove Lowery now

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby bigdawg » December 11th, 2011, 3:26 pm

It's obvious to everyone that our program is at a historic low. There is no question that Lowery is coaching his last season at SIU, but I feel strongly that he must be removed as head coach of our basketball team immediately. Allow one of the assistants to finish the season and at the end of the year we need to hire Rodney Watson to coach the Salukis.

Thanks Coach, but it's time for us to move on.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: SIU needs to remove Lowery now

Postby Kyle » December 11th, 2011, 3:32 pm

Haven't we been talking about this for 2-3 years? I'm still not convinced SIU has the cash to get rid of Lowery. If they did, it would have already happened.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » December 11th, 2011, 4:05 pm

We don't have to fire him and pay his contract off. Just remove him from duties.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » December 11th, 2011, 4:15 pm

I think SIU could go to the boosters of other Valley schools and raise the money to fire Lowery in about 2 days.

No Valley team wants an RPI 340+ opponent on the schedule once - let alone twice.

Lowery is embarrassing himself, SIU, and the Valley. Bethune-Cookman of the MEAC, Binghamton, of the America East conference, and Florida A & M of the MEAC are the only schools with a worse RPI than SIU. Even SIU-E is higher rated.

I really have a lot of sympathy for any SIU fans who are still following the Salukis. What Lowery did to that great program is one of the saddest stories in college basketball that didn't involve someone dying.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » December 11th, 2011, 4:33 pm

I like Lowery and think it's very unfortunate the program has slipped this far. We're talking about the best Valley program over the better part of a decade that is now among the worst in all of Division 1 basketball. Hard to pinpoint the exact cause, but the buck has to stop somewhere and it probably means that Lowery will need to be replaced sooner than later. Is there any real chance this could happen before the end of the year though?
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Wufan » December 11th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Don't remove Lowery now!!! If you do that, chances are that they win 2-4 games in Valley play and destroy the MVCs credability as a real conference. The Salukis have dug their grave and must now bury themselves in the dirt for the remainder of the year.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UE 71 » December 11th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Maybe Watson and Lowery should just trade places. Watson to D-I where he belongs and Lowery to D-II where he probably belongs.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby pafan » December 11th, 2011, 5:18 pm

MVCfans wrote: Is there any real chance this could happen before the end of the year though?

If someone donated enough $$$ to pay the buy-out tomorrow, I suspect he'd never coach again.

Otherwise, not happening.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby Jet915 » December 11th, 2011, 5:32 pm

Wufan wrote:Don't remove Lowery now!!! If you do that, chances are that they win 2-4 games in Valley play and destroy the MVCs credability as a real conference. The Salukis have dug their grave and must now bury themselves in the dirt for the remainder of the year.

We'd be blessed if SIU went 0-18 in Valley play, that is the best case scenario for the valley. Unfortunately, you know SIU will probably win 1 or 2 games, hopefully it's not against an upper tier MVC team.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby troutangler » December 11th, 2011, 9:42 pm

While the RPI hit is unfortunate for the rest of us, I can't honestly say I feel sorry for conference rivals, no matter how far they fall. I know it sucks, but that's like Duke sitting around feeling sorry for UNC when they have down years.

Would everyone here be crying if Wichita went sub-300? I doubt it. I wouldn't expect other fans in the Valley to feel sorry for MSU if we fell that far.
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball