Katz gives UNI credit

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Katz gives UNI credit

Postby BirdmanBB » December 12th, 2011, 1:34 pm

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/notebookweeklywatch1202/week-2

2. Northern Iowa is back to being relevant. Just two years after that stunning defeat of Kansas in the NCAA tournament, the Panthers have lost just once and that was a late-night game at Saint Mary's after an arduous travel schedule to begin the season. UNI has won eight in a row since, including an easy sweep of Iowa and Iowa State and a blowout of previously 8-1 Milwaukee on Saturday. Ben Jacobson's group looks like a strong contender with Creighton, Wichita State and Indiana State for the Missouri Valley Conference title.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Katz gives UNI credit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Katz gives UNI credit

Postby achrist70 » December 12th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Andy Katz has always been a UNI fan, as well as a Valley fan. I really wish we could play St. Mary's at 7:00 instead of 1am.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ali » December 13th, 2011, 8:33 am

I'm surprised at how well we're doing after losing Luke and Kwadzo. If we dance, Jake could be gone because people will realize what a great coach he really is and nice offers will come.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » December 13th, 2011, 8:51 am

He recieved nice offers after beating Kansas. I don't think he has a ton more to prove at this point. He is already one of the hottest candidates for a BCS position. I have a feeling he might actually enjoy UNI.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » December 13th, 2011, 9:46 am

Agreed... The aTm chair was pulled out for him after this past season and he didn't sit down. I think it would take a certain program for him go go. Something like Wisconsin or Minnesota. Here's hoping the Gophers have a strong season.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Hail Our Panthers » December 13th, 2011, 10:37 am

Maybe we should just make a thread for ESPN articles that relate to the MVC
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 2livewu » December 13th, 2011, 10:59 am

There are 2 sides to see with Jake from my point of view:

1)He is smart enough (kind of obvious I know) to see the other side and realizes happiness can't be bought. He has what he needs, and he likes where the program is today and where it's heading tomorrow. He turned down a very, very good job at a great University. If he didn't take T A&M, there is no reason to think he'll take something else.

2)UNI is ultra important to him and he wouldn't turn it over without every T crossed and every I dotted. Nervous about team turnover and youth after last season, he wanted to better position the Panthers for the next guy. Problem solved. UNI is poised for the top spot (s) in the league for the foreseeable future. It's ok to go now, for the right job.

Personally, I don't think he's going anywhere, but I don't know him and that's just an impression I get.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » December 13th, 2011, 11:34 am

2livewu wrote:There are 2 sides to see with Jake from my point of view:

1)He is smart enough (kind of obvious I know) to see the other side and realizes happiness can't be bought. He has what he needs, and he likes where the program is today and where it's heading tomorrow. He turned down a very, very good job at a great University. If he didn't take T A&M, there is no reason to think he'll take something else.

2)UNI is ultra important to him and he wouldn't turn it over without every T crossed and every I dotted. Nervous about team turnover and youth after last season, he wanted to better position the Panthers for the next guy. Problem solved. UNI is poised for the top spot (s) in the league for the foreseeable future. It's ok to go now, for the right job.

Personally, I don't think he's going anywhere, but I don't know him and that's just an impression I get.

Totally agreed.

It will take something really, really good to get Jake to leave UNI. I've always worried about a potential Minnesota opening, but I'm not so sure anymore. Maybe he wouldn't even take that position? Its not exactly a great job at this point. A&M is certainly a much better job right now than Minnesota is. I think maybe if Bo Ryan ever left, and a program like Wisconsin came calling, that would be an absolutely perfect fit for Jake, and it is a great program.

But who knows. All I know is that we have a really great coach, and UNI is so very lucky to have him.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 13th, 2011, 11:38 am

Five years ago, everything said in this thread was said about Altman.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » December 13th, 2011, 11:53 am

Altman was at Creighton for 16 years. If UNI gets Jake for 16 years, I think everyone will be more than happy.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball