2012 ESPN Bracket Buster projections

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2012 ESPN Bracket Buster projections

Postby MSUDuo » December 14th, 2011, 8:53 am

MVCfans wrote:
MSUDuo wrote:How many rematches have there been in back to back years? I can't see them matching us up with Valpo again

Fair point. The trouble is that top of the bracket buster road team food chain is dominated by Valley teams. As I mentioned on the Creighton board, if they don't get St. Mary's, there is a precipitous drop to the next best team.

Yeah, for MSU the top 4 away teams will be teams we've already played. Not good if we are one of the top home teams later. But we have a lot of work to do to get there...
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ihsi » December 14th, 2011, 9:08 am

squirrel wrote:As for Bradley, this event save for the first couple seasons and last year have morphed into the Bradley-Horizon League challenge and has become quite boring.

Does that coincide with the success of Bradley in any way?
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby squirrel » December 14th, 2011, 9:28 am

ihsi wrote:
squirrel wrote:As for Bradley, this event save for the first couple seasons and last year have morphed into the Bradley-Horizon League challenge and has become quite boring.

Does that coincide with the success of Bradley in any way?

It absolutely does, but in many instances I know Bradley specifically requested some of the teams we've played, when IMO other more attractive options were available. So, granted the quality of the program had a role, it wasn't THE only reason it's sucked.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » December 14th, 2011, 9:54 am

Anything outside of a top game is usually matched up based on region. This is why we might be more prone to playing a teams from the Horizon, OVC or MAC.

I do know that the valley usually has a pretty strong voice concerning how our matchups are made (I am assuming after ESPN is done picking theirs).
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » December 14th, 2011, 9:59 am

BirdmanBB wrote:Anything outside of a top game is usually matched up based on region. This is why we might be more prone to playing a teams from the Horizon, OVC or MAC.

I do know that the valley usually has a pretty strong voice concerning how our matchups are made (I am assuming after ESPN is done picking theirs).

Correct on both accounts. And I know that Bradley specifically hand-picked twice HL teams when better "regionial" options were available.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ihsi » December 14th, 2011, 10:24 am

When these announcements are made and Elgin is making the rounds telling us why the BB is do great, we need to remind him that multiple MVC teams were already being discussed for at large bids long before the BB of 2012. With the MVC having most of the good teams in the BB it seems like a lose-lose for us.
ihsi
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdmanBB » December 14th, 2011, 10:46 am

ihsi wrote:When these announcements are made and Elgin is making the rounds telling us why the BB is do great, we need to remind him that multiple MVC teams were already being discussed for at large bids long before the BB of 2012. With the MVC having most of the good teams in the BB it seems like a lose-lose for us.

I definitely agree, but last year we had teams that played their way out of the tourney with some crucial losses. Point is, that if our conference can become good enough that we can earn respectable wins within it for consideration, then it will be time to bail. This year is one of those years, but previous ones weren't more often.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » January 5th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Just finishing updating my bracket buster projected MVC matchups. I will post them in the morning on The MVC Report. There are a couple of changes at the top.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MVCfans » January 6th, 2012, 7:17 am

MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby BirdmanBB » January 6th, 2012, 8:42 am

Redbirds are a home team this year.
BirdmanBB