2012 ESPN Bracket Buster projections

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2012 ESPN Bracket Buster projections

Postby MVCfans » January 6th, 2012, 8:51 am

BirdmanBB wrote:Redbirds are a home team this year.

Thanks. It should read Valpo at Illinois State.
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Duan » January 6th, 2012, 9:58 am

I don't really understand the bracketbuster so can someone tell me why Creighton would play St. Mary's and not Long Beach St.?
Duan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdmanBB » January 6th, 2012, 10:12 am

Duan wrote:I don't really understand the bracketbuster so can someone tell me why Creighton would play St. Mary's and not Long Beach St.?

Murray St. has a better RPI than them and would match up with LBST first. To be honest, I think if they had to make a decision today I'm guessing that ESPN would rather see a creighton vs. st. mary's matchup for tv purposes.

What I find interesting is that with Murray St. being undefeated, their greatest chance at a 1st loss at this point are the bracketbusters. Since they will likely end up being a tv game, ESPN basically chooses who their opponent will be. Ultimately, they can decide what story they want to write by giving them a strong or weak matchup.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PowderBlue » January 6th, 2012, 10:14 am

I know Butler is down this year, but I'd love to see ISUb play Butler just because I live 15 minutes from the Butler campus. Problem is, Butler may not be considered a quality road win this year other than the fact that they do still have name recognition.
PowderBlue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ali » January 6th, 2012, 10:36 am

BirdmanBB wrote:To be honest, I think if they had to make a decision today I'm guessing that ESPN would rather see a creighton vs. st. mary's matchup for tv purposes.

This is all that matters. SMC vs CU or Murray vs Wichita would have national interest.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 6th, 2012, 10:41 am

Duan wrote:I don't really understand the bracketbuster so can someone tell me why Creighton would play St. Mary's and not Long Beach St.?

Because Long Beach State is just barely above .500.

I really hope we get St Mary's. I've got something special in store for that quitter Kenton Walker....
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » January 6th, 2012, 1:33 pm

ihsi wrote:When these announcements are made and Elgin is making the rounds telling us why the BB is do great, we need to remind him that multiple MVC teams were already being discussed for at large bids long before the BB of 2012. With the MVC having most of the good teams in the BB it seems like a lose-lose for us.

The MVC had the best teams in 2006, too. It didn't seem to impact bids and the regular-season champ lost as did the tournament champ.

BB is not the reason the MVC has been a one-bid league.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Duan » January 6th, 2012, 1:49 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
I really hope we get St Mary's. I've got something special in store for that quitter Kenton Walker....

:+1:

I forgot about him!!!! I also would love to see CU show Walker up!
Duan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball