McDermott stats

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: McDermott stats

Postby unipanther99 » December 16th, 2011, 9:22 am

I will say, the one thing that has helped this year is Seth Tuttle's suprisingly strong freshman season (so far).
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 16th, 2011, 9:25 am

LMS wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:I'm glad Doug represents Creighton for much more than what he can do on the court. He's a good kid, an extremely hard worker that doesn't hunt for his own shots, doesn't showboat, doesn't pout and doesn't talk trash. He's the antithesis of flashy.

In other words, he's the opposite of P'Allen Stinnett.

Yup, P'Allen is one of several that fit that description.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » December 16th, 2011, 12:45 pm

glm38 wrote:Irregardless of that he seems like a good kid and his talent is certainly a credit to the whole MVC.

Sorry to be the "word police" but "irregardless" isn't a word and has no logic in its existence. "Regardless" would've worked just fine. I apologize glm38, that kind of stuff is a bit of an OCD quirk for me

jayball wrote:We won the lottery jackpot with a ticket someone else gave to us.

That may be the most perfect analogy in the history of man. Ouch...my heart!
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » December 16th, 2011, 1:41 pm

PantherSigEp wrote:
glm38 wrote:Irregardless of that he seems like a good kid and his talent is certainly a credit to the whole MVC.

Sorry to be the "word police" but "irregardless" isn't a word and has no logic in its existence. "Regardless" would've worked just fine. I apologize glm38, that kind of stuff is a bit of an OCD quirk for me

"irregardless" is a word. It's in the dictionary although it is listed as "nonstandard" and used more in speech as opposed to the written word.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/irregardless

I really can't believe I took the time to even respond to this though? :Bam:
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby dannyobyrne » December 16th, 2011, 3:13 pm

glm38 wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:

"irregardless" is a word. It's in the dictionary although it is listed as "nonstandard" and used more in speech as opposed to the written word.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... regardless
facebook.com/BluejayBanter
twitter.com/bluejaybanter
dannyobyrne
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MVCfans » December 16th, 2011, 3:17 pm

Link to podcast with McDermott interview: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7360560
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TylerDurden » December 16th, 2011, 3:59 pm

glm38 wrote:
PantherSigEp wrote:

Words that people make up, like "irregardless," often enter the dictionary when they become common through incorrect usage. Its listing in the dictionary is generally an acknowledgement by the publisher that the word is commonly used in error and an attempt (albeit a slightly illogical one) to clear up the situation.

IMO, listing a word that isn't a word in the place where people search for words is counterproductive.

Irregardless, specifically, is a double-negative. The prefix "ir-" means "not" or "opposite of." Regardless already means showing no regard, heedless or without concern.

Irrespective is probably the word people are trying to use when the say "irregardless." Of course, they could simply be ignorant about the definition of the word regardless. Plus the English language is a bit tricky with the various prefixes and suffixes, at times.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jet915 » December 16th, 2011, 4:26 pm

MVCfans wrote:Link to podcast with McDermott interview: http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7360560

Very nice interview, was very humble, gave props to his fellow teammates and mentioning several by name, class act.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » December 16th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Thanks for the English lesson Tyler. I wasn't saying it was a proper word. Just that it was in the dictionary so it is obviously a word. I'm well aware that slang words are also listed in the dictionary.

REGARDLESS - When I post on an online forum I don't generally proofread or think about grammar too much. It's not a college dissertation.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » December 16th, 2011, 7:45 pm

glm38 wrote:Thanks for the English lesson Tyler. I wasn't saying it was a proper word. Just that it was in the dictionary so it is obviously a word. I'm well aware that slang words are also listed in the dictionary.

REGARDLESS - When I post on an online forum I don't generally proofread or think about grammar too much. It's not a college dissertation.

Didn't mean to spark a debate, but I half-told-you-so ;)
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball