McDermott stats

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

McDermott stats

Postby glm38 » December 15th, 2011, 5:09 pm

Has anyone else noticed Doug McDermott's season stats thus far? He's averaging 24 ppg. 9 rpg. And shooting well over 60% from the field AND from the 3 point line. I know it's still early but those are pretty eye popping numbers after 8 games.

If he comes even close to that for the season he'll have to get all american consideration. And that would have to be one of the better all around seasons in MVC history. And he's just a sophmore. Unbelievable.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

McDermott stats

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: McDermott stats

Postby valleychamp » December 15th, 2011, 5:10 pm

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » December 15th, 2011, 5:15 pm

Yeah, the 3 point shooting % is tops in the nation and PPG is second in the nation and he's only a sophomore! BTW, he will be on Scott Van Pelt's show tomorrow, it will be nice pub.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » December 15th, 2011, 11:16 pm

I've tried to tell myself I need to get over this as a UNI fan and look past the McDermotts, but I just can't quite do it. Panther fans like myself spent the better part of a year telling many of you on the old board how good he was going to be. Many (including a few Creighton fans) didn't buy it. Sometimes it sucks to be right. I don't hate the kid, but I still hate the awkward situation his father created.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Kyle » December 16th, 2011, 1:28 am

unipanther99 wrote:I've tried to tell myself I need to get over this as a UNI fan and look past the McDermotts, but I just can't quite do it. Panther fans like myself spent the better part of a year telling many of you on the old board how good he was going to be. Many (including a few Creighton fans) didn't buy it. Sometimes it sucks to be right. I don't hate the kid, but I still hate the awkward situation his father created.

This. It still stings knowing UNI would more than likely be competing for their fourth straight MVC title this year had it not been for a crazy and extremely unlikely series of events last summer.

To answer the OP's question, yes I've noticed. All UNI fans have noticed. Seeing Doug's incredible stats is like throwing salt in an old wound and it will continue to torture our fans until UNI finishes ahead of CU or Doug leaves.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Hail Our Panthers » December 16th, 2011, 3:32 am

sigh. Yep.

He seems like a nice kid and all, but man I hope Ben and the gang can manage to stick it to him in the end.
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » December 16th, 2011, 8:13 am

I didn't mean to stick it to the UNI fans by starting this thread. I forget about that whole UNI/Creighton scenario.

Irregardless of that he seems like a good kid and his talent is certainly a credit to the whole MVC. But if it had been the Bears that had been involved in that (in place of UNI) I'm sure I'd have a trace of bitterness too.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jayball » December 16th, 2011, 9:03 am

Really can't blame any UNI fans that hold a grudge at least a little.

I have no doubt that UNI would have challenged for the league title last year with him on the team. Doug has turned out to be one of those transcendent players and would have become a star on just about any program he played for. The game just looks easy when he plays it. Has to be hard to watch that and imagine what could have been.

CU was ridiculously lucky to end up with him. I think all we can do is say a prayer of thanks that he's on our side and shrug sheepishly at UNI fans. We won the lottery jackpot with a ticket someone else gave to us. In this situation there is no way to kick back any of the winnings.

As a CU fan I hope Greg can take advantage of his son's unique talent and do something special at CU. I know any success will stick in Panther fans' collective gut, unless maybe they are winning big also.
jayball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 16th, 2011, 9:17 am

unipanther99 wrote:I've tried to tell myself I need to get over this as a UNI fan and look past the McDermotts, but I just can't quite do it. Panther fans like myself spent the better part of a year telling many of you on the old board how good he was going to be. Many (including a few Creighton fans) didn't buy it. Sometimes it sucks to be right. I don't hate the kid, but I still hate the awkward situation his father created.

Your feelings are perfectly reasonable. I've said all along that UNi fans have a perfectly legitimate reason to not like Doug. In a lot of ways, they are the ultimate jilted lover. Ultimately, the only way to really understand the situation is if you have kids of your own.

I'm glad Doug represents Creighton for much more than what he can do on the court. He's a good kid, an extremely hard worker that doesn't hunt for his own shots, doesn't showboat, doesn't pout and doesn't talk trash. He's the antithesis of flashy.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LMS » December 16th, 2011, 9:21 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I'm glad Doug represents Creighton for much more than what he can do on the court. He's a good kid, an extremely hard worker that doesn't hunt for his own shots, doesn't showboat, doesn't pout and doesn't talk trash. He's the antithesis of flashy.

In other words, he's the opposite of P'Allen Stinnett.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball