Valley's best win of the day

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley's best win of the day

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 18th, 2011, 12:36 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:Everything we have done up to this point = more quality in conference games. I like the valley to get 3-4 this year easy.

Wins in conference are actually going to mean something this year. When they ask "who have you beaten" at the end of the year, any wins over WSU, CU, UNI and In St. will be considered quality.

Agreed.

That is the single biggest difference between this season and pretty much every MVC season since 2007. It is also the key multiple bids.

Having 4 or 5 losses in conference is not as big of a deal when the losses are to teams with decent RPIs. When the MVC isn't very strong, to get an at large bid you are expected to dominate the weak conference which is a lot easier said then done in the MVC. Dominating the MVC schedule is a lot harder than dominating in the MVC or even WCC as most of their road games are against crowds of a couple thousand as opposed to 5K or more.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby rally » December 18th, 2011, 3:01 pm

Aargh wrote:The UNLV win was offset by Alabama getting crushed by Kansas State and Temple getting beat by Texas.

The net 24-hour RPI adjustment for WSU was -2; from 49 to 51. WSU is not looking good from an RPI standpoint, but...

...WSU has a signature (and decisive) W over UNLV
InSU has a signature roadie over Vandy
UNI's best win so far is Colorado State. I doubt CoSt will remain in the top 50
CU's best win is San Diego State, another unlikely top-50 RPI team.

I doubt the Valley will get 4 teams in the Dance. With 4 teams contending, there's going to be some cannibalism. If it's close between teams 3 and 4, I suspect the Valley will only get two bids. The Committee won't take a chance on picking between two close Valley teams for a 2nd Valley at-large bid.

CU has the national ranking. UNI has the gaudy RPI. WSU and InSU have the quality W's. It's gonna be an interesting season.

Good post. I don't think any of the four teams mentioned can feel too comfortable with their at large chances if they don't finish in the top 2 of the conference. If one of the top 2 win the auto-bid, we very well could see only 2 teams get in. Things will be interesting.
rally
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball