Do we get 4?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Do we get 4?

Postby FearDaTrees » December 18th, 2011, 10:17 pm

I know there is a lot of season left to be played but I think it is an actual possibility. These top 4 have played well enough in the non conference to make a case for the MVC to be a 4 bid league. Most likely right now we would get 2 or 3 but these teams have built good resumes for March.

Northern Iowa- (9-1) RPI 3 SOS 16
Key Wins- @ Iowa St, Colorado St

Indiana State- (7-2) RPI 17 SOS 40
Key Wins- @ Vanderbilt, Fairfield

Creighton- (8-1) RPI 32 SOS 137
Key Wins- @San Diego St

Wichita State- (8-2) RPI 51 SOS 77
Key Wins- UNLV, Colorado
FearDaTrees
MVC starter
MVC starter

Do we get 4?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Do we get 4?

Postby AndShock » December 18th, 2011, 10:25 pm

Only way we get 4 is if there is major separation between the Top 3 and the rest of the league and another team wins in St. Louis. Even then I'd say it's a longshot.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby achrist70 » December 18th, 2011, 10:36 pm

As I posted on Panthernation it is not completely out of question. The Valley has had some very good out of conference wins this year which is something we really haven't had in the past. Creighton starting with national hype will also help. Then you have to take into account that the BCS conferences seem to be down. The Big East is no where near it was next year, they will still get too many in but, I see that conference losing at least 4 bids off of last year. The Pac 12 is terrible, and won't get more than 2. The ACC is down and gets 4 or 5. The Big 10, Big 12 and Sec are all going to get there teams in, but I don't see any of those gaining spots. The CAA is somewhat down. The A10 will get multiple bids but isn't more impressive than the Valley at this point, and the Mountain West is down and will probably get 2, maybe 3 if New Mexico sneeks in. The WCC gets multiple teams in this year, but that has happened before. The rest of the conferences are more than likely 1 bid leagues, unless there is an upset in their tourney. I see the Valley getting multiple teams in just because there seems to be more bids available .
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ace Dad » December 18th, 2011, 10:46 pm

No.

No.

No.

We will beat up on each other and Evansville will beat a team or two we are not supposed to beat.

I cannot believe we are talking 4 NCAA bids so early. Three is pushing it. Two, yeah.

The Big Boys will get the typical mid of the pack conference finishers in before we get four. ESPN has to approve the MVC getting four (kidding.)
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » December 18th, 2011, 11:45 pm

I think to get two teams in, the non-winner of the conference tournament would have to win/tie the conference plus have an almost perfect conference record, plus drawing national attention with ratings.

I think we will see more so called upsets than other years. It will be tough to come out on top unscathed as the season progresses.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » December 19th, 2011, 2:37 am

The only way all four teams listed in the OP get in is if they finish with 6 or less conference losses, none of those losses are to bottom half teams, and they all win their first game in St. Louis with the 4th place team winning the whole thing.

We have a much better chance of at least two of those teams laying an egg against SIU and getting blown out Friday in St. Louis while the winner of the conference and best at large candidate wins the MVC tournament. Such is life in the MVC. :Bam:
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » December 19th, 2011, 7:29 am

Four teams have, to this point, made a case as an at large. That does not equal getting four teams in. Three teams need to seperate themselves from the other seven. It the fourth place team wins in St Louis, then you've put the third place team on a HUGE bubble, and if that team is UNI...they may not get in. I say that because UNI does not have a win against a top 25 team and is not Creighton. WSU or Indiana State, with a strong third place finish and a Bracket Buster win COULD get into the tourney along with the MVC tourney and regular season champion.

Three bids is doable with the right breaks. Four bids requires an alignment of the stars.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » December 19th, 2011, 8:06 am

Ace Dad wrote:We will beat up on each other and Evansville will beat a team or two we are not supposed to beat.

Yeah, I agree. The Aces might beat Bradley this year. Maybe even in Peoria. :bounce:

Back on topic.

Four bids is highly unlikely. I don't think anyone is a shoo-in at this point. If CU were to go 13-5 in the Valley with a Friday loss in StL, do they get in? I doubt it. Same for WSU, UNI, InSU or MSU.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby BirdmanBB » December 19th, 2011, 8:26 am

Missouri St. still has a couple of big games to improve their status. UNI also has a big one against Ohio U. Creighton has Tulsa and Northwestern. Don't forget we will all have bracketbusters and because of the good wins/RPI's early, we have more quality games in conference play. So when CU, UNI, WSU and Indiana St. beat each other, it will be added to the quality win list which adds to each others resumes.

The important thing right now and the biggest difference from years past is the quality of teams and games being played within our conference. 4 is very much a possibility at this point.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UE 71 » December 19th, 2011, 11:55 am

We will get two unless there is a big surprise in St Louis. Name teams from high profile conferences will rule as always.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball