Do we get 4?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Do we get 4?

Postby Khan4Cats » December 20th, 2011, 11:01 am

We should be looking at 2 with an outside shot at a third. I don't think 4 is reachable as we don't have the "name" scalps like we did in past years' (LSU, Syracuse) We may keep 4 teams in the upper portion of the RPI but the committee is not going to give the same weight to an MVC in-conference win over a top-50 RPI as they will an ACC in-conference top-50 win. They should all count the same but they won't. End of the year they'll look at 40 RPI Wichita State as being 6-5 against the top-50 and say but 8 of those were among Valley schools and they lost 5, while looking at a 50 RPI Florida and see them at 5-6 vs the top-50 and say they played a grueling schedule and have 5 wins to show for it.

Need to get at least two in and those, whoever they may be, need to make noise.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdmanBB » December 20th, 2011, 11:28 am

with how bad the pac-12 is, it wouldn't surprise me if we got a little more attention come selection time.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » December 20th, 2011, 1:31 pm

I agree, but the PAC 12 isn't the only conference that should get fewer bids this season, I think there are at least 2 other BCS conferences that should get fewer bids, i.e. Big East, Big 12 (not sure how many bids the big 12 had last year though)

BirdmanBB wrote:with how bad the pac-12 is, it wouldn't surprise me if we got a little more attention come selection time.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 20th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Ace Dad wrote:No.

No.

No.

We will beat up on each other and Evansville will beat a team or two we are not supposed to beat.

I cannot believe we are talking 4 NCAA bids so early. Three is pushing it. Two, yeah.

The Big Boys will get the typical mid of the pack conference finishers in before we get four. ESPN has to approve the MVC getting four (kidding.)

+1
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 20th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Dear Administrator,

Please save this thread for review along about the first week in March 2012.

Thanky.

RDR
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » December 20th, 2011, 5:13 pm

I have a feeling Evansville will be last year's version of ISUB, poor nonconference record and they start clicking during valley play and "upset" a few of the top tier teams.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUbballer » December 20th, 2011, 8:39 pm

Being that it is only December 20th and listening to UNI get their rears handed to them on their home floor by an equal opponent, I think it's safe to say this topic was created a tad too early.

You can argue the league profile has improved greatly compared to the last few years, but this 4-team talk is a bit ridiculous. Let's just hope for more than 1 for the first time in a while.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Kyle » December 20th, 2011, 11:37 pm

Can we change the title of this thread to "Do we get 3?" Save for a most unlikely dominating conference performance, UNI officially left the at large discussion tonight.

I'm still proud of our OOC results though. For a very young team starting two true freshman, a 10-2 record heading into MVC play is not bad.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TampaMVCFan » December 20th, 2011, 11:42 pm

It's not the end of the world for UNI! One loss does not define the season in college basketball! Ohio has a real good chance of wearing white jerseys when the tournament bracket is out come March! Keep in mind this year Valley teams have signature wins on there profile! And as long as they don't slip up against the bottom feeders of the league good wins can be had!
TampaMVCFan
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby Aargh » December 21st, 2011, 12:40 am

TampaMVCFan wrote:It's not the end of the world for UNI! One loss does not define the season in college basketball! Ohio has a real good chance of wearing white jerseys when the tournament bracket is out come March! Keep in mind this year Valley teams have signature wins on there profile! And as long as they don't slip up against the bottom feeders of the league good wins can be had!

I think you're missing the entire point of why BCS schools won't schedule MVC schools. Sometimes, even on the home court of the BCS team.

Most MVC teams don't have national identities. For the BCS schools, the possibility of losing at home to a school with minimal national identity could put them on the wrong side of the NCAA bubble. The BCS schools don't want to take that risk.

I probably pay more attention to non-BCS schools than most of the voters in the polls, and I'm barely aware of Ohio's record this year. I remember that they're a run-of-the-mill MAC team. I have to do research to realize that they're better this year than most years.

There are only 2 top-100 teams in the MAC right now. OU is unlikely to be able to maintain a top-50 RPI through league play.

UNI doesn't have any "signature" or significant wins. At this point in time, UNI's best W is Colorado State. That's not going to be much to bank on when compared to other bubble teams in March. UNI has two blowout losses to teams that are not likely to be in the top 50 in March.

UNI may have an RPI of 4 in late December, but it's a real uphill battle from here on out for UNI to move into a reasonable position on the NCAA bubble. Splitting with the upper-level MVC teams won't be enough.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball