Creighton at Tulsa - 7pm Monday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Creighton at Tulsa - 7pm Monday

Postby unipanther99 » December 20th, 2011, 1:35 pm

I understand that point of view, Casey. But I think you have to look at how unique this situation is (best UNI recruit in a long time, leaving too late in the recruiting season to offer any of our back-ups, going to an in-conference school, and some feeling like Coach Mac abused the transfer rules by playing the "friend" card with Coach Jake).

While I don't think UNI fans should dwell on it or constantly bring it up, you'll forgive us if we don't greet the McDermotts with open arms when they come to Cedar Falls this year. Turn the page, yes. Simply get over it? Not likely.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby LMS » December 20th, 2011, 1:40 pm

I don't blame UNI fans for being bitter toward Doug, but ultimately it was their coach (under pressure perhaps) who allowed him to go. You can't forget that.
LMS
All MVC
All MVC

Postby unipanther99 » December 20th, 2011, 1:55 pm

LMS wrote:I don't blame UNI fans for being bitter toward Doug, but ultimately it was their coach (under pressure perhaps) who allowed him to go. You can't forget that.

And just look how Phil Martelli is being brutalized by the media today (maybe rightfully so) for not releasing the benchwarmer who transferred to UAB. Imagine if Jacobson decided to keep Doug from playing for his daddy. Coach Jake had one option, and that was to release Doug and do so gracefully.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Durango Jay » December 20th, 2011, 2:14 pm

I would hope that all MVC participants are willing to be bigger people, and do the right thing. Now about Phil Martelli, I'm not sure the whole story is out there, but the SI article makes him look awfuly bad. We'll see how this develops.
Durango Jay
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby SubGod22 » December 20th, 2011, 2:30 pm

How can he not look bad? The kid earned his degree and is furthering his education. For Martelli to stand in the way of him finishing up his eligibility while doing this is disgusting. Why would any kid want to go play for this guy now? He's proven that he'll stand in the way of them moving on if/when the time comes.

But in my opinion, the NCAA looks even worse.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby omahaben » December 20th, 2011, 2:59 pm

unipanther99 wrote:I understand that point of view, Casey. But I think you have to look at how unique this situation is (best UNI recruit in a long time, leaving too late in the recruiting season to offer any of our back-ups, going to an in-conference school, and some feeling like Coach Mac abused the transfer rules by playing the "friend" card with Coach Jake).

While I don't think UNI fans should dwell on it or constantly bring it up, you'll forgive us if we don't greet the McDermotts with open arms when they come to Cedar Falls this year. Turn the page, yes. Simply get over it? Not likely.

"Abused the transfer rules"?

Look, I understand UNI fans being bitter about losing what could turn out to be an all-american. But how exactly did anything about it fall within even a grey area of the rules, let alone abuse them?
omahaben
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby valleychamp » December 20th, 2011, 3:03 pm

LMS wrote:I don't blame UNI fans for being bitter toward Doug, but ultimately it was their coach (under pressure perhaps) who allowed him to go. You can't forget that.

lol, right. Yeah, he was really in a position of control in that situation. There was literally nothing Jake could have done.

Mac took advantage of Jake big time, and put him in a horrible spot. He knew he was not going to last much longer at ISU, so he just "stored" Doug at UNI with his buddy Jake, unless he got another job. The thing that makes this so much worse is that it was in-conference. Not only did it leave a gaping hole in UNI's roster and inherently weaken it, it infinitely strengthened a conference rival.

And lol at Casey, the ultimate loony sensationalist on this board, telling UNI fans to get over it. I'm sure you would have the same opinion if it happened to MSU.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » December 20th, 2011, 3:05 pm

omahaben wrote:"Abused the transfer rules"?

Look, I understand UNI fans being bitter about losing what could turn out to be an all-american. But how exactly did anything about it fall within even a grey area of the rules, let alone abuse them?

Normally a player would have to sit out for a year when tranferring in-conference like this. Doug Elgin waived that requirement at the request of Creighton, with UNI's approval. If this involved other schools and there was no family or friendship involved, would that year have been waived? I kind of doubt it, but who knows.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby valleychamp » December 20th, 2011, 3:08 pm

Actually, I believe for an in-conference transfer, you have to sit two years.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » December 20th, 2011, 3:31 pm

valleychamp wrote:Actually, I believe for an in-conference transfer, you have to sit two years.

If it was a true "transfer," yes. But because Doug had not yet started school at UNI only the conference rule (and not the NCAA transfer rule) applied. At least that's the interpretation I heard.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball