Creighton at Tulsa - 7pm Monday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Creighton at Tulsa - 7pm Monday

Postby omahaben » December 20th, 2011, 3:32 pm

unipanther99 wrote:
omahaben wrote:"Abused the transfer rules"?

Look, I understand UNI fans being bitter about losing what could turn out to be an all-american. But how exactly did anything about it fall within even a grey area of the rules, let alone abuse them?

Normally a player would have to sit out for a year when tranferring in-conference like this. Doug Elgin waived that requirement at the request of Creighton, with UNI's approval. If this involved other schools and there was no family or friendship involved, would that year have been waived? I kind of doubt it, but who knows.

Yeah, and if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle. The fact remains this did involve family, which is probably why the conference approved the waiver under the procedure set forth in the conference's by-laws...

unipanther99 wrote:
valleychamp wrote:Actually, I believe for an in-conference transfer, you have to sit two years.

If it was a true "transfer," yes. But because Doug had not yet started school at UNI only the conference rule (and not the NCAA transfer rule) applied. At least that's the interpretation I heard.

The conference rule is stricter than the NCAA rule. "A student-athlete who has accepted or received an athletic scholarship award at a member institution of the MVC" shall not play for 2-years, unless the waiting period is waived (which is expressly allowed in a subsequent by-law).

The Letter of Intent language is more favorable, since there is no statutory waiting period to get out of a LOI once the release has been approved.

I guess the first question is whether or not Dougie ever signed the scholarship papers, thereby accepting the scholarship at UNI. Because if he hadn't, then there was no need to get a waiver once he was released from his LOI.
omahaben
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby omahaben » December 20th, 2011, 3:41 pm

https://www.mvcadmin.org/forms/docs/MVC ... Bylaws.pdf

For those who care to read for themselves.
omahaben
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby MoValley John » December 20th, 2011, 3:42 pm

valleychamp wrote:
And lol at Casey, the ultimate loony sensationalist on this board, telling UNI fans to get over it. I'm sure you would have the same opinion if it happened to MSU.

That isn't a fair statement. Casey couldn't know as it could never happen to Casey's team because shenanigans, like stealing another team's player, don't happen in C-USA.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Jet915 » December 20th, 2011, 5:08 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:
CaliJay wrote: You walk into the local malls, you see McDermott jerseys everywhere and Teach Me How to Dougie tshirts are in all the sports stores.

:lol: That's awesome!

I prefer to "RUN DMD"

Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » December 20th, 2011, 6:53 pm

I think maybe part of the reason there isn't more of a buildup regarding McDermott is it just really hasn't hit everyone in the face yet just how good he really is or at least how good he's been to this point in the season.

As good as he was last year - he's improved exponentially in his sophomore year. And who could have foreseen that? Yes players generally improve but not to this extent and some not at all.

I watched part of the game last night and he just looks unstoppable offensively. It will be interesting though when the conference starts. Some of the better Valley teams will really gear up to stop him or at least hold him in check. Will that happen? Weems did a pretty fair job on him head to head last year even getting a key steal from him in crunch time that won the game in Spfld. Should be an interesting matchup again. Or at least I hope it's interesting LOL.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ictjay » December 21st, 2011, 8:30 am

I've watched every game either live/tube and the opponents are throwing everything at Doug. Double down low and he goes out top. He has a court awareness you cannot teach/coach. Being relentless on the offensive boards gets him 8-10 a game. Looking forward to WSU's gameplan. Quite frankly, I would let him get his and make sure they hold everyone else.
ictjay
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » December 21st, 2011, 9:27 am

I also look forward to the WSU/CU match-up. It should be a good game between two talented teams with totally different athletes/styles of play!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheShock » December 21st, 2011, 9:38 am

Wufan wrote:I also look forward to the WSU/CU match-up. It should be a good game between two talented teams with totally different athletes/styles of play!

I'm glad it's on ESPNU, however too bad it's not on ESPN or the 'Deuce'. Has the potential to be one of the premier games of the year. The place should be electric. Jay Bilas recently mentioned that attending a game at Koch Arena is on his bucket list... Jay, this would be the one.
TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball