Ohio at Northern Iowa - Tuesday 7pm

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Ohio at Northern Iowa - Tuesday 7pm

Postby BirdmanBB » December 21st, 2011, 10:01 am

Redbirds best win right now is probably Norfolk St. (hopefully Rutgers turns it around). Worst loss is UNC-W (wish we could have that one back).
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby unipanther99 » December 21st, 2011, 2:24 pm

TylerDurden wrote:When did MacLeod open? BU put a pretty good beating on them in 2006.

The Mcleod Center opened at the start of the 2006-07 season, Ben Jacobson's first season as head coach.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » December 21st, 2011, 4:42 pm

TylerDurden wrote:
valleychamp wrote:Just was one of those nights...

Haven't seen a defensive performance like that out of UNI, maybe ever. Ohio was wide open all night long, and they shot freaking lights out.

Ohio is really, really good. Have never seen a team come into Mcleod and do to us what they did tonight. I think that is a team that will spend some time in the polls this year, and is definitely an NCAA team. Mad props to them.

Tough loss, especially at home. But I'll definitely take 10-2 heading into conference play. Gotta forget this one and regroup.

When did MacLeod open? BU put a pretty good beating on them in 2006.

I remember that game and it was in the Dome.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby NEI Panther » December 21st, 2011, 6:40 pm

Mark it down for your 12-5 upset come march. Ohio is a very good team.

This was a bad loss and excuses are not going to change that. We looked very slow last night. A lot like the St. Mary's game where we didn't have much offensive flow. There point gaurd was able to get into the middle at will and caused a lot of trouble.

I will say Koch and James looked very tired. At one point in second half Koch put his hand to his mouth and looked like he was about ready the throw up.
NEI Panther
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 21st, 2011, 8:55 pm

MoValley John wrote:
Duan wrote:I am not very familiar with who UNI has beaten this year. Who is their biggest, most impressive win against? For that matter, I wouldn't mind knowing every team's biggest win.....and maybe loss. Reasoning for why that is the case would also be appreciated. Anyone have time to do this? Maybe it could be done in a new thread?

UNI has played a strange schedule. Not a lot of meat on the bone, but no bottom feeders, either. In the end, they have managed to build a gaudy RPI by avoiding sub 200 teams. But it kind of makes identifying their best win very subjective, I'd guess Colorado State. At the same time, you could argue between Ohio and St Mary's as to which school as a worse loss. My guess is that UNI's worse loss is Ohio.

Of the other schools currently vying for an at large:

Creighton:
Best win San Diego State
Worst loss St Josephs

Indiana State:
Best win Vanderbilt
Worst loss Boise State

Missouri State
Best win Nevada
Worst loss Oklahoma State

Wichita State
Best win UNLV
Worst loss Temple

Fans may disagree with me on these picks, but it is how I would choose best wins and worst losses. I'm sorry I only included the current top 5. Figuring this out for SIU would be a nightmare.

Speaking of SIU, are there any Saluki fans on this forum anymore?
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 21st, 2011, 9:03 pm

Don't under estimate Coach Groce and the Bobcats.

Coach Groce was an assistant coach with the Buckeyes. He has a pretty good pedigree.

http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/m-bas ... ohn00.html
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pafan » December 21st, 2011, 9:10 pm

Ricardo del Rio wrote:Speaking of SIU, are there any Saluki fans anymore?

Fixed :mrgreen:
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby WSUbballer » December 22nd, 2011, 12:04 am

TylerDurden wrote:
valleychamp wrote:Just was one of those nights...

Haven't seen a defensive performance like that out of UNI, maybe ever. Ohio was wide open all night long, and they shot freaking lights out.

Ohio is really, really good. Have never seen a team come into Mcleod and do to us what they did tonight. I think that is a team that will spend some time in the polls this year, and is definitely an NCAA team. Mad props to them.

Tough loss, especially at home. But I'll definitely take 10-2 heading into conference play. Gotta forget this one and regroup.

When did MacLeod open? BU put a pretty good beating on them in 2006.

Actually, you don't have to look that far back to see UNI's biggest beatdown at the McLeod Center. Last year, WSU whipped em 73-55.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Hail Our Panthers » December 22nd, 2011, 12:54 am

That was a real, real good Ohio team that played in the Mcleod Tuesday night. I think they are in for a great year, but only time will tell.

But yeah, did UNI play well? No. Was it a bad loss? Absolutely. We had a chance to make a great finishing touch on our non-con resume and we missed a great opportunity. Its tough to watch your team get blown out, especially at home, but at least it wasn't on national TV. UNI fans who are completely dismissing that loss as "no big deal" are probably a little off if their main wish is an at-large bid.

But those who were not able to watch the game should not discount Ohio. UNI would have had to play a nearly flawless game to beat them.

Suggesting that our strange scheduling this year was a result of the program being too poor is laughable. Yeah they got a check from the St. Marys game but that wasn't the biggest reason. For a mid major to get an at-large they need to do something special in the non-conference schedule. Doing whatever possible to play tough opponents is a necessity if you're going to give yourself a chance; signed, Illinois State during the Eldridge Era.
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » December 22nd, 2011, 8:09 am

NEI Panther wrote:I will say Koch and James looked very tired. At one point in second half Koch put his hand to his mouth and looked like he was about ready the throw up.

...or yawn.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball