ISUr

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

ISUr

Postby jwa123 » December 21st, 2011, 1:04 pm

Back before the bball season began, the poll by the members here had ISUr challenging Bradley or SIU for last place in the Valley. I kept my silence. I almost posted then but did not in total fear that all of you would mock me and have fun at my expense. What I was going to say back then is don't confuse this season's version with last year's version.

With 10 games under our beloved's belt, I feel compelled to speak out. This is not a 10th place team. I am not going to say that they will win the Valley or even place in the top half of the league, though I will not be surprised if they do finish in the top half this season. Will they get smacked around by the elite of the league at times? Yes, could happen. However, if you expect an easy W over the birds when they come to your town, you will be surprised. This year's team is stronger, more athletic and more resilent than last year. They can even shoot the damn ball!

I root for all Valley teams (cept Bradley) when not playing my birds. I hope all Valley fans (cept Bradley) are enjoying their season so far and best of luck to all of you for the remainder of the season (cept Bradley).
jwa123
MVC starter
MVC starter

ISUr

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ISUr

Postby BirdmanBB » December 21st, 2011, 1:15 pm

I think you are still speaking a little soon jwa. I would have waited until after our game at home against UNI. We were 8-3 at this point last year too with a slightly weaker schedule (which is still debatable). The only thing we really have going for us so far is a good effort (probably should have won) against Illinois.

On the other hand, having watched us play, we have improved defensively since last year. Offensively we are leaps and bounds better than last year. You are right, we can actually shoot from the outside. This is something that killed us last year which led teams to be able to pack it in tight. We also had a bit of a turnover issue last season as well and this year we have much better ball handlers (Moore, Brown and improved Cousin).

The upcoming game against UNI will be real telling. We haven't had much luck against them in the last few years or so, however, games have always been close. This year we might just have enough to get over that UNI hump.....at home anyways.

UNI might be coming off a tough home loss, which many would think will lead to them playing better against us, however, we are coming off a crazy game with Jank getting tossed. I think our team will be just as fired up for this one. Should be a heck of a game.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » December 21st, 2011, 1:48 pm

I don't think anyone doubts that Illinois State has talent, they always have. In fact, over the last few years, they have had more talent than many teams in this league. My concern with the Redbirds is simply coaching. Jankovich had by far, the most talent in his first two years, but he got less than expected results from it. Since then, he has been scheduling down, winning in the non-con and not being prepared for the Valley. I still hold out hope that he can turn things around, but if he couldn't win the regular season or Arch Madness with Osiris and the gang, what would make me think he can do it now?

Given the fact that this is Jank's first head coaching gig, maybe he has just needed a few years to learn the position of head coach, but at the same time, the Valley is loaded with great coaches right now and I don't rank Jank in the top half of coaches. In fact, I would put him ahead of only Lowery and on par with Phelps. In my book, he is behind everyone else. Maybe the talent on the roster is enough to overcome the mediocre coaching, but as I see it now, there are several coaches in the Valley that can beat Jank in the chess match and overcome most any athletic advantages that Illinois State might have. Until I see Jank coaching better, I don't see the Redbirds any higher than 7th, 8th or worse. Sorry.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » December 21st, 2011, 1:57 pm

Jank was the head coach at my old community college and I believe he was the HC at North Texas for a few years.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby jaybydna » December 21st, 2011, 1:59 pm

Honest question: Are you ready to play valley ball? Do you really think you are ready to play the upper half of the valley after playing the 326th best schedule? Take one of your signature wins, and compare the starting lineup against WSU, Creighton, and UNI? Compare team intangibles as well. Do they have a deep bench or did they play 7 guys? Do they run and gun or play defense or both? Were they on the road for 3 weeks straight when you played them?

If you are prepared, great. I would be shocked, but great. If you are not prepared, you should be calling for Jank's head.
jaybydna
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MoValley John » December 21st, 2011, 2:03 pm

RoyalShock wrote:Jank was the head coach at my old community college and I believe he was the HC at North Texas for a few years.

I thought he was only at Kansas as an assistant. I guess I was wrong. But if he has had that experience, then I stand further behind my skepticism in his ability to finish high in the Valley. Then again, my thoughts on Jank are only my opinion, and my opinion is that talent isn't holding the Redbirds back, it's coaching.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » December 21st, 2011, 2:08 pm

Like I said, this game against UNI in the opener should be very telling. Yes I do think this team is much better than last years and can win against the top half on a good night. Jank also seems to be coaching much better and making better adjustments in game and at the half.

Maybe Jank wasn't used to the valley. He locked us into those dumb world vision tournies for 3 years instead of real ones. I hope he has learned his lesson by the 4th year. We will see on the 29th, but I think we have a good shot at winning that one at home especially if we continue to shoot well from the outside which sounds like UNI has trouble defending.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » December 21st, 2011, 2:08 pm

Here is Jank's coaching resume:

1983–1984 - Texas–Pan American (asst.)
1984–1986 - Kansas State (asst.)
1986–1987 - Texas (asst.)
1987–1991 - Colorado State (asst.)
1991–1992 - Baylor (asst.)
1992–1993 - Oklahoma State (asst.)
1993–1997 - North Texas (HC)
1997–1999 - Hutchinson CC (HC)
1999–2002 - Vanderbilt (asst.)
2002–2003 - Illinois (asst.)
2003–2007 - Kansas (asst.)
2007–present - Illinois State (HC)

I had forgot he came to Hutch after his HC stint at North Texas.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MoValley John » December 21st, 2011, 2:22 pm

RoyalShock wrote:Here is Jank's coaching resume:

1983–1984 - Texas–Pan American (asst.)
1984–1986 - Kansas State (asst.)
1986–1987 - Texas (asst.)
1987–1991 - Colorado State (asst.)
1991–1992 - Baylor (asst.)
1992–1993 - Oklahoma State (asst.)
1993–1997 - North Texas (HC)
1997–1999 - Hutchinson CC (HC)
1999–2002 - Vanderbilt (asst.)
2002–2003 - Illinois (asst.)
2003–2007 - Kansas (asst.)
2007–present - Illinois State (HC)

I had forgot he came to Hutch after his HC stint at North Texas.

With that, what do you think Marshall, McDermott, Simmons, Jacobson, Ford, Lusk or Lansing could do with this roster?
Jackie Carmichael Justin Clark Matt Coates Osiris Eldridge Austin Hill Terry Johnson Tony Lewis Blake Mishler Dinma Odiakosa Lloyd Phillips Alex Rubin Kellen Thornton

I left Phelps and Lowery out as they might just figure a way to screw this up. But really, I think there are several of the above coaches that could waltz to a regular season or conference tourney title with that bench. Jank couldn't.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » December 21st, 2011, 2:50 pm

That's pretty easy to say after the fact. To be perfectly honest, you may be right. Not that they would win a conference title or tourney, but probably an NCAA bid. Janks biggest issue isn't much coaching as it is poor scheduling which has been highly documented amongst MVC followers and our own. It's something that really cost us, but not coaching IMHO.

Although, if there were 68 teams allowed in the dance when he started at ISU, I have no doubt we would have made it in at least one of the first two years and could quite possibly be at a different job right now.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball