Mo State v. West Virginia 7PM ESPN3

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Mo State v. West Virginia 7PM ESPN3

Postby FeartheQ » December 23rd, 2011, 6:08 am

WSUbballer wrote:glm, I'm not about to turn this into a silly off-topic rant. Maybe you should learn to brush off comments not intended for you like others in your fanbase have. I told the said poster that when MSU loses, that he's gonna wish he never stooped to the level he did and made the comment he did at the time. Now, unfortunately, you know how I felt, which was also after an OT loss, although we didn't lose it in quite the same fashion.

You're right. I don't forget things like that very well. You're gonna have to just get over it and hope snide comments don't come from your fanbase in the future.

It also doesn't surprise me that PeKaph hasn't been back since as his team has never been the same since either.

Moving on.

I guess I don't see the point. If you are targeting just one person why don't you PM him? It seems like you are stooping to his same level, which makes you just as much of the problem.
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdmanBB » December 23rd, 2011, 8:15 am

Jet915 wrote:How did Sheer miss that???????????????????????????? Bizoukas needs to go back to the gym tonight and shoot 100 FT's. Tough loss Bears.

heartbreaking.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » December 23rd, 2011, 8:54 am

troutangler wrote:Our coach won't tell our players to foul up three with 10 seconds left with WVU in the bonus....

There are many really successful coaches that will not foul in situations just like that.

And each and every one of those coaches is dead wrong. Anyone that thinks making a FT, missing the next, getting the offensive board and scoring again is easier or more likely than making one 3 point shot is absolutely stupid. Even factoring in the possibility of a bizarre shooting foul getting called doesn't change the correct decision.

Tragic error by the new coach, and one he's certainly not the first (nor the last) to make.

YOU FOUL THERE, period.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » December 23rd, 2011, 9:08 am

2livewu wrote:
troutangler wrote:Our coach won't tell our players to foul up three with 10 seconds left with WVU in the bonus....

There are many really successful coaches that will not foul in situations just like that.

And each and every one of those coaches is dead wrong. Anyone that thinks making a FT, missing the next, getting the offensive board and scoring again is easier or more likely than making one 3 point shot is absolutely stupid. Even factoring in the possibility of a bizarre shooting foul getting called doesn't change the correct decision.

Tragic error by the new coach, and one he's certainly not the first (nor the last) to make.

YOU FOUL THERE, period.

Some coaches do it, some don't. I don't think it's about the possibility of a 3 point play with a make, miss and then a 2, but more about just respecting the other team you are playing and allowing them the opportunity to outplay you. Personally, I think any time we are playing a BCS team that the courtesy should go out the door and you foul in that situation. We need the wins.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » December 23rd, 2011, 9:42 am

BirdmanBB wrote:
2livewu wrote:

YOU FOUL THERE, period.

Some coaches do it, some don't. I don't think it's about the possibility of a 3 point play with a make, miss and then a 2, but more about just respecting the other team you are playing and allowing them the opportunity to outplay you. Personally, I think any time we are playing a BCS team that the courtesy should go out the door and you foul in that situation. We need the wins.

Secure the victory. Then worry about courtesy.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MoValley John » December 23rd, 2011, 10:00 am

I watched the second half on ESPN3 this morning. What a gut wrenching loss. There is no way West Virginia should have won that game. There are so many ways the Bears gave that game away I lost track, but I don't think the foul/don't foul ranks in the top five. Sure, the prayer shot tied the game, but why was Bazooka shooting threes? Why did the Bears get so passive in the last five minutes of regulation? Why can't Bazooka shoot free throws? How do you miss the open layup at the end of ot? Where was Weems? In a lot of ways, the finish reminded me of so many Creighton games last year where the Bluejays snatched defeat from the arms of victory. A little less clock management from Lusk and a little more offensive aggressiveness and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » December 23rd, 2011, 10:50 am

I watched a game last year where a team fouled up 3 with 10 seconds left. 2 throws cut the lead to 1. Immediate foul put the team that was up 1 at the line. Missed throw and team down one had the ball. Time out with 8 seconds left. A 2-point shot with 2 seconds left gave the game to the team that had been down 3 with 10 left.

If a team has a player who shoots throws like Bizoukas, you don't want to take a chance on your opponent putting your brick layer on the line late in the game. I think I'm with Lusk on this one. Try to defend for 10 seconds when you can leave all 5 guys outside the arc.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pawball » December 23rd, 2011, 11:55 am

MoValley John wrote:I watched the second half on ESPN3 this morning. What a gut wrenching loss. There is no way West Virginia should have won that game. There are so many ways the Bears gave that game away I lost track, but I don't think the foul/don't foul ranks in the top five. Sure, the prayer shot tied the game, but why was Bazooka shooting threes? Why did the Bears get so passive in the last five minutes of regulation? Why can't Bazooka shoot free throws? How do you miss the open layup at the end of ot? Where was Weems? In a lot of ways, the finish reminded me of so many Creighton games last year where the Bluejays snatched defeat from the arms of victory. A little less clock management from Lusk and a little more offensive aggressiveness and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

All good points. In addition, Weems and Patterson didn't even seem to have a thought about putting a body on some of the WV players who grabbed offensive rebounds at certain times. Solid boxing out could've also secured the W.

A WV fan thot their guy should've had an +1 on the final trey during regulation.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby havoc » December 23rd, 2011, 12:09 pm

Aargh wrote:I watched a game last year where a team fouled up 3 with 10 seconds left. 2 throws cut the lead to 1. Immediate foul put the team that was up 1 at the line. Missed throw and team down one had the ball. Time out with 8 seconds left. A 2-point shot with 2 seconds left gave the game to the team that had been down 3 with 10 left.

If a team has a player who shoots throws like Bizoukas, you don't want to take a chance on your opponent putting your brick layer on the line late in the game. I think I'm with Lusk on this one. Try to defend for 10 seconds when you can leave all 5 guys outside the arc.

I agree with your premis of not fouling and defending the three, but if you do foul the team and put them in the line with 10 seconds left, and you leave your bricklayer in the game, you are just asking for trouble. Why not put your 4 best free throw shooters and a reliable inbounds guy in the game at that point?
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby troutangler » December 23rd, 2011, 12:45 pm

Aargh wrote:I watched a game last year where a team fouled up 3 with 10 seconds left. 2 throws cut the lead to 1. Immediate foul put the team that was up 1 at the line. Missed throw and team down one had the ball. Time out with 8 seconds left. A 2-point shot with 2 seconds left gave the game to the team that had been down 3 with 10 left.

I'll still take the chance instead of letting some guy throw in his 14th three pointer of the half like last night.
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball