squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Re: Bradley @ Michigan 12/22

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdmanBB » December 23rd, 2011, 9:04 am

Bradley looked good for a bit. It was quite the slugfest and they were shooting the ball uncharacteristically well. They really gave Mich. trouble with the zone for a while. Kind of surprised Mich wasn't going to the post earlier in the game to draw more fouls. I suppose thats what a few blocks will do for you early in the game.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » December 23rd, 2011, 9:24 am

@tribecalledquest -- I don't agree that Shayok is clueless out there. I'd rather have him out there than Thompson. But I do agree he's got some problem areas and he's got a huge upside if he can figure some stuff out.

I like how Shayok plays, very aggressive on and off the ball, but he's going to struggle offensively until he works on his shot. From what I saw, he doesn't have much touch when he shoots. I noticed if he was close to the hoop, he'd sort of just beam it in there like a line drive with very little arc. He had a couple longer shots that looked downright dreadful and teams shouldn't be afraid to foul him because he looked rough at the ft line. The BTN announcers seemed stunned he was averaging less than 5 pts a game, but I think that is just typical freshman inconsistency. I think he'll be the cornerstone of this team in 1-2 years if he works on some things.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » December 23rd, 2011, 9:32 am

I know Bradley signed a PG for next year, and if he can play immediately, the Braves will be much improved. Sims-Edwards, Lemon, Shayok, and Prosser are a nice returning line-up with some upside. Crawford should find his way over time. Need to add a dominating 6-8ish JUCO post and Bradley is right back where they belong.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » December 23rd, 2011, 9:41 am

Ptown...don't focus on the negative connotation to the word clueless.

Shayok is essentially a blank page in terms of the game of basketball. Which I think is actually an added bonus...it's all new to him and he is doing it at just about the highest level. He will learn and grow and there will be mentors addressing shortcomings and bad habits along the way.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » December 23rd, 2011, 9:53 am

What Bradley did well in this game that I think other teams in the MVC will take notice of is they had their non-shooters trailing their shots for offensive rebounds and putbacks. They will likely see tight zone defenses a lot this year as their opponent will challenge them to win by shooting the three and I can guarantee their opponents will have it drilled in their heads to find a man and box them out on a shot.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ptownbraves » December 23rd, 2011, 10:01 am

I am already excited to see Bradley a year from now playing Michigan at Carver Arena in Peoria. Nice job scheduling a 1 for 1 against a powerhouse.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » December 23rd, 2011, 10:07 am

ptownbraves wrote:I am already excited to see Bradley a year from now playing Michigan at Carver Arena in Peoria. Nice job scheduling a 1 for 1 against a powerhouse.

It's the least Michigan could do after Bradley hired Patrick Beilein as director of basketball operations. ;)
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » December 23rd, 2011, 9:38 pm

squirrel wrote:Ptown...don't focus on the negative connotation to the word clueless.

Shayok is essentially a blank page in terms of the game of basketball. Which I think is actually an added bonus...it's all new to him and he is doing it at just about the highest level. He will learn and grow and there will be mentors addressing shortcomings and bad habits along the way.

This. Thanks squirrel.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » December 23rd, 2011, 9:40 pm

Wufan wrote:I know Bradley signed a PG for next year, and if he can play immediately, the Braves will be much improved. Sims-Edwards, Lemon, Shayok, and Prosser are a nice returning line-up with some upside. Crawford should find his way over time. Need to add a dominating 6-8ish JUCO post and Bradley is right back where they belong.

I don't know how well he will play but Bradley did sign a 6-7 JUCO kid from Dodge City averaging 15 ppg, and 10 rpg so far. Im hoping another scholarship or two opens up and Geno can get another guy like that. Then a mid pack finish next year isn't out of the question.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball