8 Lawsuits against the NCAA

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Snapshot9 » September 21st, 2010, 2:12 pm

Should the student-athlete be compensated by the NCAA? That is the question that these 8 lawsuits pose?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-ncaalawsuits
Snapshot9
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: 8 Lawsuits against the NCAA

Postby squirrel » September 22nd, 2010, 10:36 am

Only 2 domestic sports organizations have won anti-trust cases: MLB and MLS. The NFL has repeatedly lost them. . .at least on 3 separate occasions.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » September 25th, 2010, 11:21 am

Snapshot9 wrote:Should the student-athlete be compensated by the NCAA? That is the question that these 8 lawsuits pose?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-ncaalawsuits

Yes, in spades.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » September 30th, 2010, 7:54 am

I think the case against the video games companies is especially strong. In that one you have the games listing the player's home town, height, weight, correct number and proper skin color, not to mention that the graphics are designed to look just like the real person --- all without the real person's consent.

It is one thing for the NCAA to show highlights of past NCAA tournaments and football games. It is something all together different for a third party to steal somebody's likeness and sell a computer game from it...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ISUBirds89 » October 6th, 2010, 3:37 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:I think the case against the video games companies is especially strong. In that one you have the games listing the player's home town, height, weight, correct number and proper skin color, not to mention that the graphics are designed to look just like the real person --- all without the real person's consent.

It is one thing for the NCAA to show highlights of past NCAA tournaments and football games. It is something all together different for a third party to steal somebody's likeness and sell a computer game from it...

I don't necessarily agree with that. While the players are clearly designed to be that person if you take a look at the graphics for NCAA Football 11 and Madden 11. Both games have excellent graphics. However, the players in NCAA look nothing like their counterparts. Also, if you play NCAA the rosters are so butchered other than the major Heisman candidates.
ISUBirds89
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 7th, 2010, 9:17 am

ISUBirds89 wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:I think the case against the video games companies is especially strong. In that one you have the games listing the player's home town, height, weight, correct number and proper skin color, not to mention that the graphics are designed to look just like the real person --- all without the real person's consent.

I don't necessarily agree with that. While the players are clearly designed to be that person if you take a look at the graphics for NCAA Football 11 and Madden 11. Both games have excellent graphics. However, the players in NCAA look nothing like their counterparts. Also, if you play NCAA the rosters are so butchered other than the major Heisman candidates.

You don't think that, just maybe, the 2011 versions of the games, which were made after the lawsuit had already been filed, may have been "adjusted" just a bit because of the lawsuit, perhaps to make the computer images look a little less like the real people????
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 45otseoj » October 7th, 2010, 9:57 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
ISUBirds89 wrote:

You don't think that, just maybe, the 2011 versions of the games, which were made after the lawsuit had already been filed, may have been "adjusted" just a bit because of the lawsuit, perhaps to make the computer images look a little less like the real people????

It won't be a huge issue if EA is forced to make random college players as long as the edit feature is still available.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » October 7th, 2010, 11:25 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
ISUBirds89 wrote:

Double does not take disagreement well.

One question mark is sufficient. Four question marks indicate "How dare you to question my opinion?"
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » October 7th, 2010, 10:25 pm

Huh????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball