2 Big East teams leaving for basketball only conference?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2 Big East teams leaving for basketball only conference?

Postby unipanther99 » December 28th, 2011, 9:47 am

Really this is all up to Notre Dame, isn't it? A Catholic league is worthless unless the Irish bring along their name brand.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby squirrel » December 28th, 2011, 2:16 pm

Unless this is an Eastern-oriented league (i.e. it's Providence and Seton Hall holding the talks) Seton Hall is most likely to join the A-10. If they've already seriously considered such a move for budgetary reasons, no way they join a lower-profile league with a greater footprint.

Most likely bedfellows are DePaul/Marquette, Seton Hall/Providence, St. John's/Georgetown.

Temple is involved because Villanova ultimately does figure into the future picture of Big East football.

Given that schools specifically mentioned in the article are Butler, Temple and Xavier leads me to think that the schools involved are in fact Midwestern-based.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » December 28th, 2011, 2:40 pm

Lets just add Butler, Temple, Xavier, and Marquette to the Valley and let them choose two schools to drop :dance: ...unless one of those schools is WSU due to us being so far south and west.

Wichita is really in a crappy geographical location to have a basketball/baseball heavy school. All the good mid-western basketball schools are pretty far northeast of here, and the good baseball/basketball schools in the area all play bigtime football. Also, we're a little too cold weather for the top baseball schools. What about west? There's like three Colorado schools 8 hours away and then you've got to cross the rockies to find any more schools. :Violin:
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TheShock » December 28th, 2011, 4:45 pm

Wufan wrote:Lets just add Butler, Temple, Xavier, and Marquette to the Valley and let them choose two schools to drop :dance: ...unless one of those schools is WSU due to us being so far south and west.

Wichita is really in a crappy geographical location to have a basketball/baseball heavy school. All the good mid-western basketball schools are pretty far northeast of here, and the good baseball/basketball schools in the area all play bigtime football. Also, we're a little too cold weather for the top baseball schools. What about west? There's like three Colorado schools 8 hours away and then you've got to cross the rockies to find any more schools. :Violin:

Hey, thanks for making my day! :?
TheShock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby SubGod22 » December 28th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Non BcS schools in surrounding states would be: Colorado State, Denver, Air Force, Northern Colorado, Creighton, Nebraska-Omaha, Missouri State, UMKC, Saint Louis, Southeast Missouri State, Tulsa, Oral Roberts, Little Rock, Arkansas State, Central Arkansas, Pine Bluff, Drake, Northern Iowa.

I suppose you could expand a little more and add Texas, New Mexico, Wyoming, Illinois and Louisianna to the list to expand the number of teams. But even with that you're not adding a lot of pleasant options.

New Mexico, New Mexico State, North Texas, Prairie View A&M, Sam Houston State, Stephen F Austin, UT-Arlington, Houston Baptist, Lamar, McNeese State, Rice, Texas A&M-CC, Texas Pan-Am, Texas Southern, Texas State, UTSA, UTEP, Tulane, Southern, Southeastern LA, Nothwestern St., Nicholls State, Monroe, Louisianna Tech, Lafayette, Grambling, SIU-C, SIU-E, Chicago State, UIC, Loyola, Northern Illinois, Bradley, Eastern Illinois, Illinois State, Western Illinois.

If you could pull 9 schools to pair up with Wichita from that group to form a strong basketball conference, you'd be looking at New Mexico, Creighton, Tulsa, Oral Roberts, Northern Iowa, UTEP, New Mexico State, Missouri State and Saint Louis?

If you were trying to set something up to try and get certain markets but remain as good as possible it would be Wichita, Creighton, New Mexico, UTEP, North Texas, Tulsa, Saint Louis, Bradley/Illinois State, Northern Iowa and Rice?

For a 10 team league it'd be something like that. Obviously, nothing like this is going to happen and a number of those schools play football. Those being, New Mexico, Tulsa, UTEP, New Mexico State, Rice, North Texas.

As far as schools without football, or FBS football, I think I've already posted that somewhere. May have been on SN.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball