Missouri State at Creighton - 7pm

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missouri State at Creighton - 7pm

Postby glm38 » December 29th, 2011, 6:02 am

Aargh wrote:At no time did WSUBaller say MSU should have lost the game. He said that CU losing the game was bad for the Valley. That equates to MSU winning the game is bad for the Valley.

At no time did he say that MSU playing to win the game was bad for the Valley.

I agree that MSU beating CU in Omaha was bad for the Valley. Add in InSU losing to Drake and it was a disastrous day for the Valley.

Unfortunately, some MSU fans have concluded that the blame for a disastrous day for the Valley was the Bears fault. The sad fact is that a team deserving a top-20 ranking almost never loses at home to an RPI 100+ team - and CU did that. All the pollsters, pundits, and media guys who had been blowing CU's horn just got embarrassed and they don't like that.

The bad day for the Valley is not laid on the Bears. The Bluejays are responsible for the Valley taking a huge hit today.

For once I'm going to have to agree and defend baller. I don't have a problem with what he said initially. MSU probably isn't in the running for an at large bid and their win last night probably does hurt the MVC's chances at multiple bids. But for once he didn't knock MSU or make a snide comment. Although he did that later (of course).

I still think CU is a very good team. The Bears just played up to their potential last night. Finally. What a great win!!!
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MVCfans » December 29th, 2011, 7:49 am

Nice writeup on Weems from Jeff Goodman:

OMAHA, Neb. - Kyle Weems had every excuse to bolt.

New coach, seven new faces and a team that was set to be picked in the bottom half of the Missouri Valley.

However, Weems - who could have taken advantage of the NCAA's fifth-year rule and played for a high-profile program such as Kansas, Kansas State or Oregon this year - remained at Missouri State.

"It was flattering," Weems said moments after torching Creighton for 31 points in a 77-65 road upset. "But I love this university. I didn't want to leave this place."

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs. ... 6/34077901
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Bearvision » December 29th, 2011, 11:16 am

It's the way Weems has been to this University and this city that just makes me laugh when opposing fans call him a punk all the time.

He's a punk because he's demonstrative on the court? Hilarious. He loves his school and plays with passion.

A punk is a kid who is out getting into trouble off the court, disrespecting coaches and teammates, and pretty much being out for himself.

Say what you want about Kyle Weems, but the kid could have left to go play for Kansas. Freaking Kansas. About an hour away from his hometown (or less), and undoubtedly play in the tourney as he so desperately wants. But no, he stayed true to his school, and to his commitment.

Because of that, I'll always be in his corner. First pumps and chest slaps or not.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Jays26 » December 29th, 2011, 11:25 am

Congrats to the Bears....outplayed us in every aspect of the game.

Time to regroup...very tough game on NYE but the season is young and there will be more highs than lows for this team I really believe.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » December 29th, 2011, 1:21 pm

Jays26 wrote:Congrats to the Bears....outplayed us in every aspect of the game.

Time to regroup...very tough game on NYE but the season is young and there will be more highs than lows for this team I really believe.

Classy post. Thanks. It's going to be an interesting conference season for sure.

I totally agree with your comments about Weems Vision. And anyone who's met him knows he's not a punk. Nothing further from the truth. And he's just a remarkable big game performer.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » December 29th, 2011, 3:27 pm

Punks can be good community guys and nice to their friends and supporters.

Punks win and lose WITHOUT class. That's Weems.

I know he's your guy, and he's one hell of good player, but he's a punk.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » December 29th, 2011, 3:38 pm

I am a neutral observer in the Weems debate and I too, without question, agree that he is a pure punk. He looks like a total whiner when he's off his game and getting his rear handed to him. He's even worse though when he's on his game. With his abilities, I wish he just stopped at it there, because he is a good player. But after watching the game last night, there he was again, opening up his trash hole and barking it up, during and after the game. Total punk.

You don't see that with McDermott, win or lose. McDermott can get fired up when he's on, but it's not in a punkish way. He's not talking trash either. He just straight up beats you, gets excited, and that's the end of it. No chest bumping or throat slashing needed.

And that is why I can never respect him, with his attitude, and am glad that he's not a member of our team for that aspect.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 29th, 2011, 5:11 pm

When Jamar Howard was at WSU, I loved him! Loved his heart, loved his game, loved his attitude. Was he a punk? If you were a WSU opponent he was! Was he a bad kid? No...but not exactly an honor student either.

Kyle Weems is different things to different people. I root against him big time but would take him on the Shockers in a heartbeat. In the end, wins and losses is all it's about. Whatever it takes.

P'allen was a Punk!!!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » December 29th, 2011, 5:19 pm

You guys make me laugh...

That is all
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » December 29th, 2011, 5:20 pm

WSUbballer wrote:I am a neutral observer in the Weems debate and I too, without question, agree that he is a pure punk. He looks like a total whiner when he's off his game and getting his rear handed to him. He's even worse though when he's on his game. With his abilities, I wish he just stopped at it there, because he is a good player. But after watching the game last night, there he was again, opening up his trash hole and barking it up, during and after the game. Total punk.

You don't see that with McDermott, win or lose. McDermott can get fired up when he's on, but it's not in a punkish way. He's not talking trash either. He just straight up beats you, gets excited, and that's the end of it. No chest bumping or throat slashing needed.

And that is why I can never respect him, with his attitude, and am glad that he's not a member of our team for that aspect.

Your first sentence is pretty much bogus. I won't dissect much of the rest beyond that point. You are not neutral at all when it comes to MSU because you do not like us. Which is fine by me. But everything you post comes from the vantage point of an MSU hater.

Weems is a true "community champion." He is a really good kid from what everyone close to the program says. It does bother me to see other fans try to tear him down just because he scores so many points and is such a solid ballplayer. I honestly think if I was his father I would have a nice little chat with some of those who think he is a "punk."
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball