Southern Illinois at Evansville - 7pm

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

SIU@Evansvile Thurs 1-29 7:05

Postby sixth ace » December 28th, 2011, 9:25 pm

broadcast on Fox sports UE opens as a 5.5 favorite.

UE might as well be playing on a neutral court Monday &Tues night Ice Hockey, tonight Zac Brown Band is playing there.

Heard from an alum that UE has a letter to the graduates about donations to build an on campus Arena for Basketball. They have their eyes wide open to the problem with the Ford Center.
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

SIU@Evansvile Thurs 1-29 7:05

Sponsor

Sponsor

Southern Illinois at Evansville - 7pm

Postby MVCfans » December 29th, 2011, 8:08 am

Aces are 6 point favorites.

Quick look at the game: The MVC Report - Preview of games December 29
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Re: SIU@Evansvile Thurs 1-29 7:05

Postby Nighthawk328 » December 29th, 2011, 9:27 am

sixth ace wrote:Heard from an alum that UE has a letter to the graduates about donations to build an on campus Arena for Basketball. They have their eyes wide open to the problem with the Ford Center.

This really does not suprise me at all. The Ford Center is great but the seating setup is made for hockey. Also, like you said, just not enought practice time in the Ford Center. If UE ever raises enough money to build an on campus Arena for Basketball, the city of Evansville (government) will most likely be shocked. Even though this would help the Evansville Icemen hockey team with scheduling. Since UE has first choice of the dates we want for games. It is my belief that this would help UE overall, in attendance, prices, and the quality of the program.

The main questions for an on campus Arena for Basketball would be:
What type of lease do we have with the city of Evansville and the Ford Center?
Where on campus would it be built?
Price?
Size?
Would this help attendance? Especially student attendance?

Go ACES! :Beer:
Nighthawk328
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ACECARD » December 29th, 2011, 10:38 am

Nighthawk328 wrote:
sixth ace wrote:Heard from an alum that UE has a letter to the graduates about donations to build an on campus Arena for Basketball. They have their eyes wide open to the problem with the Ford Center.

This really does not suprise me at all. The Ford Center is great but the seating setup is made for hockey. Also, like you said, just not enought practice time in the Ford Center. If UE ever raises enough money to build an on campus Arena for Basketball, the city of Evansville (government) will most likely be shocked. Even though this would help the Evansville Icemen hockey team with scheduling. Since UE has first choice of the dates we want for games. It is my belief that this would help UE overall, in attendance, prices, and the quality of the program.

Price?
Size?

This is the most rediculous thing I have seen in a long time. I will believe this when I see an actual letter. Never mind where it would be located, where would you park two or three thousand cars on campus? You can hardly find a place to park 500 people for a baseball game. I'm sure that the Aces have a long term lease to use the Ford Center for basketball. It's too bad the Aces can't practice there more, but it's for sure they will play there at least 19 more times than any of their opponents will. I will believe the Aces will make the final four before I will believe this.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Nighthawk328 » December 29th, 2011, 10:52 am

ACECARD wrote:
Nighthawk328 wrote:

Price?
Size?

This is the most rediculous thing I have seen in a long time. I will believe this when I see an actual letter. Never mind where it would be located, where would you park two or three thousand cars on campus? You can hardly find a place to park 500 people for a baseball game. I'm sure that the Aces have a long term lease to use the Ford Center for basketball. It's too bad the Aces can't practice there more, but it's for sure they will play there at least 19 more times than any of their opponents will. I will believe the Aces will make the final four before I will believe this.

I don't think this is really a ridiculous idea. I love the Ford Center but this is probably an ultimate goal for the University in the long-term.

Go Aces! Beat SIU!
:buddies: :dance: :Yea!:
Nighthawk328
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Aces1982 » December 29th, 2011, 11:05 am

I have said this for several years. Build a 7500 seat arena on campus. Parking and money would be the biggest issues. They could build it where the old armory stands. I don't think this will ever happen, but I do think it would be what is best for UE.

Ford Center is nice but not built for their #1 occupant. Not to mention the limited practice time in the arena.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ace Dad » December 29th, 2011, 12:11 pm

I may be wrong. But, I believe the fundraising is for a "practice facility." In fact, I am almost sure that UE wants a shared practice facility for both teams. I thought the Ford Center was a permanent option for games.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bball Junkie » December 29th, 2011, 12:30 pm

I am surprised that nobody caught this during the UE-UNC game on ESPNU a few weeks ago. During the game, one of the announcers alluded to the fact that the Aces play in a tough mid-major conference, are playng their first season in a brand new state of the art arena, and will be building a brand new practice facility.

I thought they were simply mistaken ---- I guess their comment had legs afterall. If this is the case, it would be a great addition to the program and would be a good recruiting tool.
Bball Junkie
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby sixth ace » December 29th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Bball Junkie wrote:I am surprised that nobody caught this during the UE-UNC game on ESPNU a few weeks ago. During the game, one of the announcers alluded to the fact that the Aces play in a tough mid-major conference, are playng their first season in a brand new state of the art arena, and will be building a brand new practice facility.

I thought they were simply mistaken ---- I guess their comment had legs afterall. If this is the case, it would be a great addition to the program and would be a good recruiting tool.

It maybe that they have decided to go the extra step after experiencing the new Ford Center this year.
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby klinky » December 29th, 2011, 12:52 pm

I'm an alum' along with 8 others in my immediate family and none of us have seen such a letter.
Wishing I was back home again.
klinky
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball