CREIGHTON @ WICHITA ST (Sat, Dec 31st, 5pm)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: CREIGHTON @ WICHITA ST (Sat, Dec 31st, 5pm)

Postby PowderBlue » December 31st, 2011, 7:26 pm

Wow, great road win for Creighton. I was really hoping CU and WSU would just hold serve against each other. Solid team game in terms of contributions...which sucks to see as an ISUb fan. Creighton (as we all pretty much knew) is going to be VERY tough to stop.
PowderBlue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MSUDuo » December 31st, 2011, 7:34 pm

Just goes to show how tough the Valley is. The preseason top 4 teams all have a loss within the first 2 games
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby WSUbballer » December 31st, 2011, 7:46 pm

I found out tonight there's a lot more to Creighton than just Doug McDermott. The Jays are well balanced and will not miss a beat despite their recent home loss.

If Carl Hall wasn't present for WSU, this would have been about a 20 point blowout. Marshall continues to struggle as a coach in late-game situations. This game reminded me of the MSU game at Koch last year. I realize the opponent was tough and they made the plays down the stretch to win, but this was a deflating blow already out of the gates for WSU. They are proving once again how NOT to defend the home court.

Congrats again Jays.

And with that, a happy, fun, and joyous New Year's Eve to come!!!!!111 :bounce: :roll:
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » December 31st, 2011, 7:57 pm

Crazy Valley continues! Is MoST now the team to beat? :roll: :P

12-6 may win the Valley!
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ACECARD » December 31st, 2011, 10:07 pm

MSUDuo wrote:Just goes to show how tough the Valley is. The preseason top 4 teams all have a loss within the first 2 games

They all are going to the big dance though, aren't they?
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby pawball » January 1st, 2012, 12:15 am

WSUbballer wrote:I found out tonight there's a lot more to Creighton than just Doug McDermott. The Jays are well balanced and will not miss a beat despite their recent home loss.

If Carl Hall wasn't present for WSU, this would have been about a 20 point blowout. Marshall continues to struggle as a coach in late-game situations. This game reminded me of the MSU game at Koch last year.
And with that, a happy, fun, and joyous New Year's Eve to come!!!!!111 :bounce: :roll:

For once I agree with you on your assessment, esp the comparison to the MSU game at Koch last year when the Shocks went a bit splastic at the end. Personally, I'd have a hard time watching Marshall coach the team I follow. Although the comparison runs a tad thin, his hyper state, at least the way he appears to be on the sidelines, would make me antsy in the same way that Mr Hinson did me at MSU. The antsyness easily translates as a lack of calm (duh) and confidence. But, kick me, Rick Patino's that way too.

CU game in to this one with something to prove. Imagine the Shocks will in their next one too.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby capnkirk » January 1st, 2012, 1:00 pm

congrats to CU. They were the better team last night.
capnkirk
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » January 1st, 2012, 1:56 pm

Congrats to Creighton. Better team won last night. Here are some of my thoughts on the game:

Bluejays;

Nice adjustment in the second half.

Even in his poorest performance of the year, you can see how good Doug McD is. He shoots or passes so quickly that it makes it difficult for the defense to adjust. Even without the enormous stat line last night, you could tell that his presence really caused havoc for the Shocks. On a different note, you could tell that the announcers had really boned up on their Doug knowledge and even when he was non-existent they just kept talking about him. My wife, who was preparing dinner in the kitchen during the game, asked in the second half, "Who's Doug McDermott? Did he just score 50 points?"

Greg E was too big and strong for our posts.

Gibbs is a very good player.

Young abused Ragland.

Shockers;

Marshall got outcoached and/or gave his team too much control and allowed them to make bad decisions. Horrible three point shots taken out of the flow of the offense. There was at least good effort for the majority of the game even if the execution was bad.

Murry would have been invisible except for the fact that he played so poorly that you couldn't help but wonder what he was doing.

Ben Smith did an excellent job guarding Doug McDermott. Props to him.

Stutz wilted due to the physicality of play.

Hall was the best player on the court. Absurd amount of effort was exurted in obtaining the statistical dominance that can be read in the box score.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 1st, 2012, 2:10 pm

I really don't think the sky is falling for WSU. Still a lot of talent and it's a long season. CU rightfully played with a lot of desperation in trying to not start 0-2.

I think Marshal held Hall out too long/too much. It seemed to me like when he was out is when CU took charge.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LJay » January 1st, 2012, 4:15 pm

Actually,CU took charge when Gibbs was in the game as they were +25 with him in 26 minutes and -18 without him.His foul trouble against MSU was a factor in that one too.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball