Drake @ MSU (New Years Eve 2 PM)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Drake @ MSU (New Years Eve 2 PM)

Postby getreal4 » December 31st, 2011, 4:45 pm

way too many easy shots made possible by a combination of Bear's good plays & poor defense from Drake.

Weems was the best player on the court today, but Rice isn't far behind!
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » December 31st, 2011, 4:46 pm

Good win for the Bears but it wasn't easy. The Bulldogs have some players. Rice was unconscious in the 1st half. Putting Pickens on him was the answer. I think Simons is a really good player too.

Weems had a really good all around game and so did Gulley. Patterson was a non factor for us for the 2nd straight game which is concerning.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » December 31st, 2011, 5:01 pm

On the Mo State side I was impressed with Copeland and Gulley. They seemed pretty acrobatic at going to the hoop. Seemed the Bulldogs missed some Bunnies and free throws that really could have helped at key times.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » December 31st, 2011, 5:09 pm

We BOTH missed a lot of free throws. It was kind of pitiful on both sides.

And ironically our worst FT shooter (Biz at 40%) canned his only 2. I've heard he's really been working hard in practice shooting hundreds of FT's. Hopefully he's got that turned around.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby pawball » January 1st, 2012, 12:29 am

cpacmel wrote:Mo State 47
Drake 46
10 minutes to play in the game

Weems 18 points (8-10 FG) 7 boards

Rice 16 points

Both teams with 5 team fouls

I'd of sworn Weems had more boards than that, but must be so.

I think that the Bears' tough non-conf and the unusually quick progression of the juco's, Downing and Gulley, is as much responsible for how they are playing at this point as anything. Lusk is doing a great job, obviously, in keeping the kids in tune and balanced, and Weems is really stepping up. If Pickens keeps giving the minutes he's been giving lately, Bears will be a true force in The Valley.
pawball
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » January 1st, 2012, 10:42 am

The Spfld reported Weems with 9 boards. He grabbed a lot of big ones. I agree with you that Gulley and Downing are very nice players and compliment Weems very well. Gulley is amazing around the hoop.

If Pickens stays healthy and Cope continues to give us a lift off the bench we'll be tough. Some Bears fans were ready to give up on Cope saying he's just not good enough for the D1 level but that's obviously not true. He's got a nice offensive game, good size for a guard, and is an improving defender.

My main concern is our post play. It's concerning that Weems at 6'6" seems to be our best post defender. And Kirk at 6'7" and a freshman is our next best in that regard. We really need Patterson to start playing like he did our first 4 games. Or even 50% of that.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » January 1st, 2012, 11:10 am

pawball wrote:
cpacmel wrote:Mo State 47
Drake 46
10 minutes to play in the game

Weems 18 points (8-10 FG) 7 boards

Rice 16 points

Both teams with 5 team fouls

I'd of sworn Weems had more boards than that, but must be so

The stat you quoted was with 10 minutes still to play in the game.....it was not the final stat.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby troutangler » January 1st, 2012, 6:13 pm

glm38 wrote:
If Pickens stays healthy and Cope continues to give us a lift off the bench we'll be tough. Some Bears fans were ready to give up on Cope saying he's just not good enough for the D1 level but that's obviously not true. He's got a nice offensive game, good size for a guard, and is an improving defender.

I'll admit that I was wrong about Copeland when the "Patterson is going to get drafted" crowd comes back to reality and admits that he won't play in the NBA.
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » January 1st, 2012, 6:33 pm

troutangler wrote:
glm38 wrote:

I'll admit that I was wrong about Copeland when the "Patterson is going to get drafted" crowd comes back to reality and admits that he won't play in the NBA.

I may have been one of those? If so I'll readily admit I was wrong. I think some Bears fans just thought some NBA team might take a chance on him (Patterson) due to his size and shooting touch. But even if he were to somehow get drafted he's just not tough enough for the NBA.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bearvision » January 1st, 2012, 8:58 pm

Patterson is going to make a killing in some European league, but his skills do not translate to the NBA at all.

Way too slow and soft.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball