Drake @ MSU (New Years Eve 2 PM)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Drake @ MSU (New Years Eve 2 PM)

Postby CaseyGarrisonforPrez » January 2nd, 2012, 10:59 am

Bearvision wrote:Patterson is going to make a killing in some European league, but his skills do not translate to the NBA at all.

Way too slow and soft.

He will play games wearing the Jerry West logo. How many teams are there in the NBA now 30 or 32? And each team has 15 roster spots. I don't see him as a star but he can hang out on a bench for several years.

Moving forward 2-0 start has caused me too reevaluate and elevate the expectations. I'm not ready to declare us the team to beat quite yet but the road to the championship will come through JQH. We will have a huge say in who wins the MVC. I have been ticked off for a few months because we weren't getting much respect for being the defending champs. I'd say less respect than any defending champ has ever gotten. That has left a sour taste and a giant chip on our Bears shoulders. Glad to see our team starting to get some swag back. We may be hated by some but you have to respect us.
CaseyGarrisonforPrez
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Bluejay09Bear06 » January 2nd, 2012, 11:19 am

Casey, not sure I can fault our Valley peers for not giving us respect early on. While we avoided any bad losses, we had multiple chances to make a statement against big teams and couldn't finish. The early returns on conference play indicate that we may have turned a corner, and certainly Wednesday's win in Omaha was a big statement. But I won't fault the Valley for doubting us during the nonconference. I hope you're right that the Bears are playing with a chip on their shoulder, and continue to do so.
Bluejay09Bear06
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » January 2nd, 2012, 11:44 am

Casey I've got to disagree with you about Patterson. I follow the NBA pretty closely. Just where would he play? Even as a seldom used backup? No way he could matchup with the centers in the NBA. As a 4? He'd definitely be one of the better shooting 4's in the league BUT that position places a high value on defense and rebounding. That's not his strength at all. As a 3? He's just not quick enough for that position.

I don't mean to run him down. I like him. For a near 7 footer he's really got a sweet shot and shooting touch. But......

And despite our 2-0 start we are not the team to beat. I like our chances a lot better than I did a couple of weeks ago but we've got to show some kind of consistency first.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bearvision » January 2nd, 2012, 8:52 pm

If's and but's and all that, but two possessions from 11-3, and that's on the Bears.

To me though, some of that has changed since the look of the rotation has changed dramatically over the past few weeks. Moving Downing to the 2 and starting him has changed the team. Moving Cope to the first G off the bench has really helped.

Just imagine if he was getting the bulk of the minutes against West Virginia and not Scheer. Same for the OSU game. Going smaller, quicker, faster has changed the whole look of the team.
Bearvision
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MoValley John » January 2nd, 2012, 10:22 pm

CaseyGarrisonforPrez wrote:
Bearvision wrote:Patterson is going to make a killing in some European league, but his skills do not translate to the NBA at all.

Way too slow and soft.

He will play games wearing the Jerry West logo. How many teams are there in the NBA now 30 or 32? And each team has 15 roster spots. I don't see him as a star but he can hang out on a bench for several years.

Moving forward 2-0 start has caused me too reevaluate and elevate the expectations. I'm not ready to declare us the team to beat quite yet but the road to the championship will come through JQH. We will have a huge say in who wins the MVC. I have been ticked off for a few months because we weren't getting much respect for being the defending champs. I'd say less respect than any defending champ has ever gotten. That has left a sour taste and a giant chip on our Bears shoulders. Glad to see our team starting to get some swag back. We may be hated by some but you have to respect us.

Do you have any idea of how little respect that UNI got after their first title??? UNI was Rodney Dangerfield the next year. And you think MSU hasn't gotten their due respect?

I really have a hard time taking you seriously, ever. Maybe I should just read, laugh at you and not reply.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball