Wichita State Shockers at Evansville (Wed, Jan 4th)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Ace Dad » January 3rd, 2012, 8:50 am

The Shocks are better, taller, quicker, and deeper.

The Aces will have to use outside shooting to keep it even.

Pressure is on the Shockers, even on the road.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Wichita State Shockers at Evansville (Wed, Jan 4th)

Postby LanceShock » January 3rd, 2012, 2:04 pm

Looking back at the Shocks over last season and the first two Valley games of this year, going on the road is not as much of a problem for this team as for most teams. They actually seem a little more jittery at home.

The Shockers also just lost a game that hurt a LOT. Add in that Evansville is 2-0 in Valley play and the Shocks will show up ready to play.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WSUbballer » January 3rd, 2012, 2:10 pm

Why is it everytime WSU and UE play the pressure is always on the Shockers?

I think that's baloney. WSU will be determined and pissed off after their recent misfortunes. UE is the team with the 2-0 record coming off a huge win. WSU with pressure? Absolutely not.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby getreal4 » January 3rd, 2012, 2:21 pm

Shox have to win keep at large hopes alive, losing to EVille would almost end the Shox chances.

EVille's pressure is to avoid play in status.
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Aces1982 » January 3rd, 2012, 2:41 pm

WSUbballer wrote:Why is it everytime WSU and UE play the pressure is always on the Shockers?

I think that's baloney. WSU will be determined and pissed off after their recent misfortunes. UE is the team with the 2-0 record coming off a huge win. WSU with pressure? Absolutely not.

Why the pressure? Because WSU was picked 1st or 2nd and with a home loss already, a loss at UE could really hurt a top 2 finish. Not to mention a loss, would all but kill any at large chances and the slogan would be St. Louis or NIT.

I will guess that WSU will be favored in the 6-8 range.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 45otseoj » January 3rd, 2012, 2:48 pm

Hall > Sawvell

Colt can score 40; don't think it'll matter.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockem » January 3rd, 2012, 2:51 pm

The timing of the CU game was not good for WSU. They hadn't had a real test for quite a while and it served as a wake-up call. Shox will come out fired up so the Aces better be ready to bring it.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUbballer » January 3rd, 2012, 2:55 pm

Aces1982 wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:Why is it everytime WSU and UE play the pressure is always on the Shockers?

Why the pressure? Because WSU was picked 1st or 2nd and with a home loss already, a loss at UE could really hurt a top 2 finish. Not to mention a loss, would all but kill any at large chances and the slogan would be St. Louis or NIT.

WSU actually opens up as 10.5 favorites.. http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

Man, not a lot of respect coming to the Aces. Regardless, if WSU was 2-0 coming off a big win and UE was 0-2, the pressure most assuredly would be on WSU. As of now, it's not the case. You're definitely right about the St. Louis or bust slogan if we lose though (nice Shockernet find btw). I think if WSU comes out pissed off, they won't be feeling any pressure at all.

But of course, this is all just my opinion. Maybe that's why WSU doesn't win much in Evansville (or do they?) They always have so much pressure on them all the time.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » January 3rd, 2012, 3:27 pm

WSUbballer wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:

WSU actually opens up as 10.5 favorites.. http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/

Man, not a lot of respect coming to the Aces. Regardless, if WSU was 2-0 coming off a big win and UE was 0-2, the pressure most assuredly would be on WSU. As of now, it's not the case. You're definitely right about the St. Louis or bust slogan if we lose though (nice Shockernet find btw). I think if WSU comes out pissed off, they won't be feeling any pressure at all.

But of course, this is all just my opinion. Maybe that's why WSU doesn't win much in Evansville (or do they?) They always have so much pressure on them all the time.

Evansville is expected to lose this game. On paper, WSU is a better team. During the Preseason, the Shockers proved to be a better team. The gamblers have already called for the Shocks to win.

WSU is expected to win this game, even though it is a road game. That indicates the strength of WSU and ther perception that the Aces are "weaker." The Shockers as a team and within the fanbase EXPECT to attend the "Big Dance" due to the Shockers having a good team this year. WSU needs to beat the so called weaker sisters in the Valley if they are to garner a record good enough to support an at-large bid. Lots of pressure on the Shockers to win this game because it is early in the season and they must establish themselves as one of the Top 2 Valley teams to keep the "buzz" alive.

When Coach Marshall walks onto the Ford Center floor Wednesday night, he knows he must win this game to keep WSU's tournament hopes alive.

When Coach Simmons walks onto the Ford Center floor Wednesday night, he knows that a close loss of competitive loss will alllow his team to "grow" and that a win would be a true "upset."

So Baller, the pressure is always on WSU because for the last ten years, the Shockers have been contenders and better than the Aces.

That said, I hope your big man gets into foul trouble early, we hit five threes in a row, and Toure loses composure as the Shockers play "catch-up" basketball. The Shockers do not want to play from behind Wednesday night.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 3rd, 2012, 3:48 pm

I think if there is pressure on anyone, it will be WSU. However, I don't think anyone will feel any pressure unless WSU is down late in the game.

I was very impressed with Hall in the WSU-CU game. While I find Stutz to be really soft, I still think he is much better than anybody UE has on the inside. The only way I see WSU losing is if they start jacking up treys instead of working it inside.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball