Wichita State Shockers at Evansville (Wed, Jan 4th)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita State Shockers at Evansville (Wed, Jan 4th)

Postby Ace Dad » January 5th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Baller, sometimes the best thing to do is to "stop digging."
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby WSUbballer » January 5th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Ace Dad, there's a reason why this thread is 10 pages long. It's not just me. You are proof of that.

And once again, an Aces fan can say whatever they want, without your homer eyes batting a lash. I respond and I'm the one that's "digging". You can't even argue my points. All you do is respond with one sentence digs yourself.

You need to get over it. When you guys rack up a couple conference wins, you're very hard to stand on here.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » January 5th, 2012, 8:55 pm

WSUbballer wrote:Ace Dad, there's a reason why this thread is 10 pages long. It's not just me. You are proof of that.

And once again, an Aces fan can say whatever they want, without your homer eyes batting a lash. I respond and I'm the one that's "digging". You can't even argue my points. All you do is respond with one sentence digs yourself.

You need to get over it. When you guys rack up a couple conference wins, you're very hard to stand on here.

Baller, I apologize. I will take a more measured approach.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby acesfool » January 5th, 2012, 9:33 pm

WSUbballer wrote:
sect.3purple wrote:I absolutely cannot believe that there is a complaint from some WSU fans about the calls last night. If anything I thought that Stutz got away with at least two uncalled fouls. Actually, there were very few calls for either side, which I found refreshing because so many Valley games have way too many whistles.

I think this whine about fouls is simply to cover up the fact that even though the Aces were a 13 -14 pt. underdog, and WSU fans were saying prior to the game that anything less than a 20 pt. win would be embarrassing, UE played a great game and came within one point of beating the Shockers.

I think WSU has a good team...and a 7-footer who can stand flat-footed against our guys and make shots. We knew that we were playing a good team and that a win would be hard to come by...what gets me is the disrespect shown to other teams, like the Aces, even when they almost defeat your team.

There are all sorts of basketball qualities that make for a good team...skilled athletes, the bigger the better in basketball, offensive and defensive threats, speed, etc. Included in winners' programs are heart, intensity, team play, and confidence......our Aces team does not have a 7 ft. center (wish we did - maybe soon) and we have to compete to bring in good athletes to our small school, but we have all the intangibles and you may see those intangibles beat a lot of teams that smugly ignore them....plus we have some dead-eye shooters, including Colt Ryan, who the rest of the conference likes to put down also....he is a super player that, on one of the "elite" teams would be heralded after every game! I'm glad he's wearing purple!

I am proud of my team. They deserve respect. I know they have to keep on earning it. I think that they will. And I look forward greatly to it. I think the whine coming from some WSU fans last night about the calls is simply a smoke screen to cover up their surprise at not beating us by 20 pts.

Whoa, slow your roll there cowboy.

Who on here called for 20 point WSU victories? I haven't found any. And secondly, Vegas had this one pegged as 13 point WSU favorites, as you mentioned. So don't peg predictions from WSU fans for a blowout as being far-fetched. Vegas felt the same way and so did those betting on the game as the line grew throughout the day.

The officiating situation was poor at the end. You being an Aces fan did not focus in on the 2 or 3 over-the-backs the Aces committed on the last WSU putback by Stutz. You also didn't realize that Stutz was smashed in the eye on the putpack which should have been a 3 point play. Add those facts with Evansville coming down the floor in the final seconds and a very late, phantom foul call was called on WSU with 1 second remaining. I realize nobody televises Aces games because there's no market for them, but having it on replay here, the last sequence was quite obvious. Stutz got hammered with a no call. Harris got 2 free throws with 1 second remaining on a scrum play with 5 players going for a rebound. Don't even go there buddy.

I know for your fanbase just "being there" at the end on your home floor, and 1 point losses are victories. But respect won't be totally earned until those turn into wins. That didn't happen. That didn't happen at home against Tennessee Tech or at Illinois-Chicago either. That's why you shouldn't expect people to bow down to your greatness for wins over Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa. No consistency = no respect.

Some of these Aces fans are starting to remind me of Sycamore fans last February and March and all summer.

You really think the Aces aren't consistant? The Aces have one win over a D1 team with a winning record (UNI), one win over a D1 team that is 500 (Butler, who the Aces got the first game when they were really bad, and four NCAA bottom dwellers. Sounds like the Aces are pretty consistant to me. How can you not respect them now?
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby sect.3purple » January 5th, 2012, 11:25 pm

WSUbballer wrote:
sect.3purple wrote:I absolutely cannot believe that there is a complaint from some WSU fans about the calls last night. If anything I thought that Stutz got away with at least two uncalled fouls. Actually, there were very few calls for either side, which I found refreshing because so many Valley games have way too many whistles.

I think this whine about fouls is simply to cover up the fact that even though the Aces were a 13 -14 pt. underdog, and WSU fans were saying prior to the game that anything less than a 20 pt. win would be embarrassing, UE played a great game and came within one point of beating the Shockers.

I think WSU has a good team...and a 7-footer who can stand flat-footed against our guys and make shots. We knew that we were playing a good team and that a win would be hard to come by...what gets me is the disrespect shown to other teams, like the Aces, even when they almost defeat your team.

There are all sorts of basketball qualities that make for a good team...skilled athletes, the bigger the better in basketball, offensive and defensive threats, speed, etc. Included in winners' programs are heart, intensity, team play, and confidence......our Aces team does not have a 7 ft. center (wish we did - maybe soon) and we have to compete to bring in good athletes to our small school, but we have all the intangibles and you may see those intangibles beat a lot of teams that smugly ignore them....plus we have some dead-eye shooters, including Colt Ryan, who the rest of the conference likes to put down also....he is a super player that, on one of the "elite" teams would be heralded after every game! I'm glad he's wearing purple!

I am proud of my team. They deserve respect. I know they have to keep on earning it. I think that they will. And I look forward greatly to it. I think the whine coming from some WSU fans last night about the calls is simply a smoke screen to cover up their surprise at not beating us by 20 pts.

Whoa, slow your roll there cowboy.

Who on here called for 20 point WSU victories? I haven't found any. And secondly, Vegas had this one pegged as 13 point WSU favorites, as you mentioned. So don't peg predictions from WSU fans for a blowout as being far-fetched. Vegas felt the same way and so did those betting on the game as the line grew throughout the day.

The officiating situation was poor at the end. You being an Aces fan did not focus in on the 2 or 3 over-the-backs the Aces committed on the last WSU putback by Stutz. You also didn't realize that Stutz was smashed in the eye on the putpack which should have been a 3 point play. Add those facts with Evansville coming down the floor in the final seconds and a very late, phantom foul call was called on WSU with 1 second remaining. I realize nobody televises Aces games because there's no market for them, but having it on replay here, the last sequence was quite obvious. Stutz got hammered with a no call. Harris got 2 free throws with 1 second remaining on a scrum play with 5 players going for a rebound. Don't even go there buddy.

I know for your fanbase just "being there" at the end on your home floor, and 1 point losses are victories. But respect won't be totally earned until those turn into wins. That didn't happen. That didn't happen at home against Tennessee Tech or at Illinois-Chicago either. That's why you shouldn't expect people to bow down to your greatness for wins over Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa. No consistency = no respect.

Some of these Aces fans are starting to remind me of Sycamore fans last February and March and all summer.

I said that some of your fans considered anything less than a 20-pt win against the Aces as an embarrassment.....saw this on a WSU message board. I stand by my statement that I believe the 1-pt victory wasn't enough for some fans, and a "we got robbed by the officials" of a greater victory was the cry that went up. To me, that was an obvious excuse for not winning with a more-convincing score.

And, no, losing by only 1 pt. was not considered a victory by any Aces fan that I know, including myself.

And I said nothing about anyone "bowing down" to any other team's wins, consistent or not. Respect means something different to me....it means acknowledging that a team played well, with skill and intensity.....my team did that against WSU on Wed. night. I look forward to the future when we may even outscore the Shockers. My gripe with fans like you (and not all WSU fans are that way) is that you seem to consider your team as having the Top Dog's spot...and that no one else....not UE, not the Sycamores, not anyone you consider not in your league as having opportunity to succeed. If anyone dares to compete, you declare it some sort of foul plan to ruin the plans you have for your sweep through the conference!

I don't know what UE will do this year, but I do now they will play hard...and I do know that we almost beat the Shockers and it wasn't because of the officiating. Is that satisfactory to me and the rest of the UE fans...NO, no more than our other losses of one possession.....I look forward to more good play by our guys...and who knows....maybe a lot more games where we are victorious.
sect.3purple
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UE 71 » January 5th, 2012, 11:42 pm

havoc wrote:One of the better defensive teams in the country vs one of the worst defensive teams in the country. One of the best rebounding teams in the country vs. one of the worst rebounding teams in the country. UE has trouble against both size and athleticism, something WSU both has a good amount of. If UE keeps it within 20 points, I will be surprised.

Don't know who havoc is, but here's his prediction.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ace Dad » January 6th, 2012, 8:21 am

71, I, too, thought we had the potential to have our azz handed to us. I was very pleased to see us compete and deal with a 7 footer and for the game to come down to a fight for the ball at the last possession.

I participated in a WSU online discussion yesterday and it is obvious that the Shockers had not marked down a "W" before the game, which sometimes happens when playing us. The following article says it all. See what the WSU coach said:

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2012/j ... /#comments
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » January 6th, 2012, 11:20 am

UE 71 wrote:
havoc wrote:One of the better defensive teams in the country vs one of the worst defensive teams in the country. One of the best rebounding teams in the country vs. one of the worst rebounding teams in the country. UE has trouble against both size and athleticism, something WSU both has a good amount of. If UE keeps it within 20 points, I will be surprised.

I didn't recognize any ShockerNet poster named "havoc" so I checked the membership list. Here's the list in that range of the alphabet (with some extraneous stuff from the copy/paste
Hater 0 Hater is on a distinguished road
hathbroantilt 0 hathbroantilt is on a distinguished road
hawkdoctor 0 hawkdoctor is on a distinguished road
hawkeyeshocker

It could be he got banned and that post deleted, because I couldn't find the post either.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 6th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Aargh wrote:
UE 71 wrote:

I didn't recognize any ShockerNet poster named "havoc" so I checked the membership list. Here's the list in that range of the alphabet (with some extraneous stuff from the copy/paste
Hater 0 Hater is on a distinguished road
hathbroantilt 0 hathbroantilt is on a distinguished road
hawkdoctor 0 hawkdoctor is on a distinguished road
hawkeyeshocker

It could be he got banned and that post deleted, because I couldn't find the post either.

I actually read that on the Evansville site in the pre-game discussion. havoc is an Aces fan.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball