Wichita State Shockers at Evansville (Wed, Jan 4th)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita State Shockers at Evansville (Wed, Jan 4th)

Postby shocktheheart » January 5th, 2012, 10:44 am

Evansvilles defense the last couple of years has reminded me of SIU of past. They like to grab, pull, handcheck, etc...If the refs are going to let it go and call it the same both ways, I agree it is smart basketball.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ace Dad » January 5th, 2012, 11:04 am

shocktheheart wrote:Evansvilles defense the last couple of years has reminded me of SIU of past. They like to grab, pull, handcheck, etc...If the refs are going to let it go and call it the same both ways, I agree it is smart basketball.

I hated the SIU teams that played that way. I will watch closer through my "biased eyes" to see if we have morped into that type of defense. Thanks.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » January 5th, 2012, 11:27 am

2livewu wrote:
sixth ace wrote:If the ball would have been tip in the court might have been rush. UE allow WSU to get a 8-10 point lead too many time only to come back and make it close or take the lead. Harris's missed free throw gave us an opportunity to tip it in but I feel the Shockers are glad to snatch a 1 point victory and leave town quickly. I just heard their plane overhead.

Every game has a winner and an also ran. Tonight UE will look forward to Witchita and mark a X on their calendars. Revenge is SWEEEEET

Great game Congrats to the Shocks and the Aces for a well played game.

Go Aces !

PS Baller, you wouldn't of like the seat...much orange and purple there

:Cheers:

UE didn't "allow" WSU anything. WSU is better, period. The Aces played hard, but even a number of stupid decisions by Ragland and Stutz, atrocious officiating down the stretch and 53% 3 point shooting wasn't enough to hold serve at home for the Aces.

I look forward to the Aces circling the calendar for their return trip. Your program brings nothing to the table. Your teams are not competitive with the best....the Aces are a drain on the programs in the Valley that are striving for something else.

WSU will show them what a big time program is when they come to ICT.

Mark that X buddy. Can't wait to see the Aces back in Wichita.

UE will not win in WSU. Matter of fact WSU should win by 15-20 points at home. WSU is better, they are. But not to give credit to the team you are playing is just having zero basketball knowledge. Always thinking that you made bad decisions or bad turnovers and it had nothing to do with the defense is stupid. I find it funny that you thought the officiating was atrocious. Why was it so bad? You do realize that WSU had 3 fouls in the first 11 minutes of the second half? They picked up the 5th foul of the half with 5 minutes left. I guess when they were not calling fouls on WSU, the officials were great. But as soon as WSU got some calls against them, is that when they were atrocious? FWIW, I thought the officials were pretty good last night. They let the teams play. For the record, I'm not sure "letting the teams play" is the way UE would want the game called. UE wins games when they get to the FT line.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Snaggletooth » January 5th, 2012, 11:49 am

Aces1982 wrote: UE will not win in WSU.

Why? WSU has shown they are more susceptibility to lose at home than on the road.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » January 5th, 2012, 11:52 am

Ace Dad wrote:Two Live Crew:

You know, I sat with several WSU fans at the tournament after your last loss and consoled them. Many were very frustrated because they had expectations that the Shockers would do better. WSU has some great fans. They understood that the Shocks were good, but also knew that the other team "gets a vote."

Any fan who complains about officiating is a whiner. You get certain calls in your house.

Any fan who does not give the other team credit for being a good opponent is a jerk.

If the shoe fits, wear it.

I was responding to 1 fan's comment. Perhaps I didn't expound enough on Evansville's game....they played marvelously and Coach Simmons had a great game plan that was executed very well. They get a lot out of their parts, and Colt is playing very well right now...better than I expected.

But I am not going to say Evansville deserved to win or should have won, although they certainly could have won. They haven't recruited or kept enough good, big, skillful players to compete at a national level. Also, imho, it is terribly unfair to have a game called differently than an NCAA type game. A program like WSU, trying to compete at the highest level, shouldn't have to adjust in conference to teams that aren't as big and strong as they are.

Look, I am NO fan of modern day physicality in college basketball. It's ruined the sport imho. But this nonsense of allowing a mighty might team like Evansville to "do what they do" in conference just because they don't have the athletes a team like WSU has, is nonsense.

It's not whining, it's my opinion, and you certainly don't have to agree. You seem like a great fan and if I remember your son played at UE. The Aces played their hearts out last night, and Aces fans should be proud.

That being said, anything less than a blowout on the return trip will be a huge disappointment to me.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » January 5th, 2012, 12:10 pm

I'm giving UE a lot of credit. I thought they played a great game with guts, determination, and a will to win.

That doesn't mean that the Shox played flawlessly. Murry had multiple "face palm" moments. Late in the game Stutz threw a lazy pass from under the Aces basket. Pretty much threw it right to the Aces' defender. That possession could have put the game nearly out of reach.

In the last couple of minutes, there was a lot of contact on Stutz every time he attempted a shot. That contact wasn't called. Some might view that as "bad officiating". The scrum under the basket in the last few seconds also may give some an inclination to feel there was questionable officiating.

To think that none of the UE players touched or interfered with any of the WSU players (who had rebounding position) is ludicrous, but officials tend to swallow their whistles on contested rebounds with only seconds remaining. Calling a foul with one second left is almost unheard of and always has people questioning the officiating.

I imagine there were even a lot of UE fans wondering how that last foul call was ever made.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » January 5th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Snaggletooth wrote:
Aces1982 wrote: UE will not win in WSU.

Why? WSU has shown they are more susceptibility to lose at home than on the road.

Please go back to the way I started this thread:

"WSU is better, bigger, deeper, etc, etc." The Shockers will win 7 out of 10 times they play the Aces this year. We do not have the margin for an average game. The Shockers do.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ace Dad » January 5th, 2012, 12:25 pm

In my opinion, college basketball has become too physical, with too much contact, and that has taken away from the finesse of the game. The team that can push the envelope with the referree, when everything is equal, will get the advantage. Typically, it is the team with the inferior players and athletes that resort to physical play to compensate for the lack of talent. SIU was the exception. SIU had quick athletes, dominant athletes, but they still resorted to the over-the top physical play. Now that we are playing that way, I may consider my position :D
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » January 5th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Ace Dad wrote:In my opinion, college basketball has become too physical, with too much contact, and that has taken away from the finesse of the game. The team that can push the envelope with the referree, when everything is equal, will get the advantage. Typically, it is the team with the inferior players and athletes that resort to physical play to compensate for the lack of talent. SIU was the exception. SIU had quick athletes, dominant athletes, but they still resorted to the over-the top physical play. Now that we are playing that way, I may consider my position :D

The difference between SIU of old and UE of now, is that SIU had very good athletes to go with playing that way. Not very fun to watch, but it does seem to win basketball games if you can get the refs to call that type of game in your favor.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 5th, 2012, 1:15 pm

I'm telling you guys (WSU fans) wait until you play MSU.

The CU-MSU game was much more physical than the CU-WSU game. MSU clutched, grabbed, poked, etc. However, the fundamental difference between MSu and UE is that MSU has athletes in Weems and others that resemble the SIU heydey.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball