Who has legitimate at large chances?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Who has legitimate at large chances?

Postby glm38 » January 6th, 2012, 5:27 pm

I agree with you getreal. It really gets old when all those mediocre BCS teams get in. Teams that you know the top 3 or 4 Valley teams could beat on a neutral floor. To me having the best record in the MVC regular season ought to count for a lot. It shouldn't be an auto qualifier but it should be close.

Last year which was supposedly a down year for the Valley I think both WSU and MSU could have won a game or 2 in the the big tournament with a favorable draw.

With the Valley's overall better showing and current rating as the 7th best conference it will be interesting to see what the selection committee does.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shocktheheart » January 9th, 2012, 2:17 pm

Latest Bracketology projections. Creighton (6) and WSU (10) in, UNI one of the first four out.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » January 9th, 2012, 3:08 pm

I think the assumption at this point is that there could be a 3rd team from the valley getting in via the autobid or potentially quality in conference wins. I wonder if Lunardi's projections take into account an added boost from the bracketbuster. I know realtime doesn't even factor that in yet because they aren't scheduled.

Right now, the reality is that we have 8 teams in the top 150 and almost 7 of those teams are top 100. Having almost 4 teams who are top 50, there is potential for at least a 3rd team to come up with a good looking resume. Right now UNI and MSU are contenders for that, but there is still time for a team like Indiana St. to make a move into the top 50 from conference play and have some decent wins outside of the conference to go with it.

Not that we have a chance at an at-large, but It really sucks for us (ISUr), because outside of the loss to SIU (254), we have wins over Norfolk St. (61), UNI (24), @MSU (57). We thought the loss to UNC-W (103) at home was bad, but they are going on a nice streak now in conference play. Rutgers, who we beat in cancun recently got two big wins over ranked teams (Florida, Uconn). It would take a lot for us to get into the conversation, but not out of the question. This week is probably our biggest challenge of the season (@WSU, vs. CU). Again, not that it would happen, but I would think that a split against WSU and CU this year along with a win over a solid Bracketbuster team at home could get us a look. At the end of the day, I would hope that any team who is 3-4 vs. top 50 would get a look.

That scenario is hypothetically speaking, but it has potential to apply for quite a few teams in the valley. This is why 3 teams could be a reality. Again, it's going to take a 3rd team to step up and get those quality in conference wins from a couple of teams who are figured to be in.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball