How Many 7 Footers Available?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: How Many 7 Footers Available?

Postby glm38 » January 10th, 2012, 4:51 pm

BearChief wrote:
glm38 wrote:Occasionally it can work the other way too. The Bears Caleb Patterson is listed at 6'11" but he seems taller to me. He seems quite a bit taller than the other posts in the league and looks like he's at least as tall as Stutz.

I've heard on more than one occasion that Patterson stands about 6 feet 11.75 inches, but that he prefers to be listed at 6'11" rather than 7'.

That makes sense then. If I remember correctly Bill Walton always insisted that he be listed at 6'11" even though he was actually a little over 7'. He thought the 7' tag put him into the "freak" category.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby uniftw » January 10th, 2012, 10:52 pm

glm38 wrote:
BearChief wrote:
glm38 wrote:Occasionally it can work the other way too. The Bears Caleb Patterson is listed at 6'11" but he seems taller to me. He seems quite a bit taller than the other posts in the league and looks like he's at least as tall as Stutz.

I've heard on more than one occasion that Patterson stands about 6 feet 11.75 inches, but that he prefers to be listed at 6'11" rather than 7'.

That makes sense then. If I remember correctly Bill Walton always insisted that he be listed at 6'11" even though he was actually a little over 7'. He thought the 7' tag put him into the "freak" category.

Many NBA players refuse to be listed at 7' because they don't want to be pegged as a "center only" and what not....Dirk, KG, Dwight Howard (although he is a center), Pau Gasol just recently allowed them to list him at 7' (his brother Marc is listed at 7'1), Durant

FWIW there were 46 players in the NBA in the 08-09 season listed at 7' or taller

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... der_by=pts

A complete list of all NBA players over 7' in history....all 216 of them.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... _by=height
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball