How Many 7 Footers Available?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: How Many 7 Footers Available?

Postby Wufan » January 5th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Ace Dad wrote:Your information is better than mine, because you went directly to the source.

Hardly! I googled it and came up with an article from SI that extrapolates data off of a bell curve...on the internet. About as reliable as the answer I get when I ask my three year old if he got in trouble at daycare.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby iSASO » January 7th, 2012, 11:23 am

So then, what are the odds that one Valley school has two 7-footers who play a fair amount of time?
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby RoyalShock » January 9th, 2012, 9:46 am

If Stutz is 7'0, then Orukpe is 6'11 tops. I'd say closer to 6'10. It's also questionable whether or not Stutz is 7'0 without shoes. I always assume a player is at least an inch shorter than he's listed.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby TylerDurden » January 9th, 2012, 10:06 am

RoyalShock wrote:If Stutz is 7'0, then Orukpe is 6'11 tops. I'd say closer to 6'10. It's also questionable whether or not Stutz is 7'0 without shoes. I always assume a player is at least an inch shorter than he's listed.

This is what I was getting at.

95% of players are not quite as tall as they're listed.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » January 9th, 2012, 7:21 pm

Occasionally it can work the other way too. The Bears Caleb Patterson is listed at 6'11" but he seems taller to me. He seems quite a bit taller than the other posts in the league and looks like he's at least as tall as Stutz.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Hail Our Panthers » January 9th, 2012, 9:02 pm

How about the same high school?

Last year, Sioux City East had 2 7 footers. One committed to Iowa, the other was less of a high major prospect and transferred away this year.
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 9th, 2012, 9:37 pm

iSASO wrote:So then, what are the odds that one Valley school has two 7-footers who play a fair amount of time?

Creighton will be close next year - 7' Geoff Groselle (redshirting this year) and 6'11" Will Artino (redshirted last year).

I like that we will have been able to redshirt both of them due to our depth. This allows them one year to add weight and get acclimated to college life.

Kind of funny - under Dana, we seemed to always be searching for big guys.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BearChief » January 9th, 2012, 10:06 pm

glm38 wrote:Occasionally it can work the other way too. The Bears Caleb Patterson is listed at 6'11" but he seems taller to me. He seems quite a bit taller than the other posts in the league and looks like he's at least as tall as Stutz.

I've heard on more than one occasion that Patterson stands about 6 feet 11.75 inches, but that he prefers to be listed at 6'11" rather than 7'.
BearChief
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby iSASO » January 9th, 2012, 10:40 pm

I heard the other day that Stutz is 7'1". He was somewhat of a late bloomer.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 10th, 2012, 8:14 am

I believe Stutz is a true 7 footer. Orukpe is probably just shy.

I've stood next to a true giant in the Sisteen Chappel. One of our party was an NAIA basketball player that was a legit 6-6 and 1/2 and he was under the guys armpit. We later found out that he was the world's tallest man for a brief while standing 8-1 inches. This was in Italy, so in a crowd, most surrounding tourists were right around his belly button. It was astonishing.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball