Evansville Aces at Illinois State (Sat, Jan 7th)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville Aces at Illinois State (Sat, Jan 7th)

Postby sect.3purple » January 10th, 2012, 12:19 am

I have a legitimate question....can someone who was at the game please explain the Ill. St three-point shot that was taken, and counted, after the clock-shot violation buzzer sounded. Our announcer said that the Aces naturally stopped playing defense when the buzzer sounded...and then the shot was taken uncontested. I didn't see the game, and no explanation has ever been given. Bad call by the ref? Inadvertent buzzer? What happened? Those 3 points would have made the difference in winning or losing. I am not saying anything was wrong here, but I would sure like an explanation.
sect.3purple
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ace Dad » January 10th, 2012, 12:49 am

sect.3purple wrote:I have a legitimate question....can someone who was at the game please explain the Ill. St three-point shot that was taken, and counted, after the clock-shot violation buzzer sounded. Our announcer said that the Aces naturally stopped playing defense when the buzzer sounded...and then the shot was taken uncontested. I didn't see the game, and no explanation has ever been given. Bad call by the ref? Inadvertent buzzer? What happened? Those 3 points would have made the difference in winning or losing. I am not saying anything was wrong here, but I would sure like an explanation.

I did not see the game. However:

1. Players should guard any opponent who is shooting the ball.
2. If the referee screwed up and counted the 3, that is part of basketball.
3. We get blown calls that help us, too.
4. If we hit two more threes or stop ISU from scoring the last 3 pointer, we would be 3-1.
5. We should flush the ISU (R) game out of our memory and focus on ISU (B)
6. We will win two games by one possession.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ILSTU24 » January 10th, 2012, 9:07 am

This one seemed pretty obvious at the game and it upset me that Marty went so ballistic about the call/non-call. Bryant Allen took a 3 that hit the rim a second or two before the shot clock ran out. The rebound was LONG and to the corner where Bryant Allen chased it down and was WIDE OPEN the buzzer sounded from the previous shot clock just like you often times see in a game, he hoisted up another 3 that went in. Marty seemed to be the only person who thought the call was wrong and the ref just looked at him with a quizzical look.
ILSTU24
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby sect.3purple » January 10th, 2012, 10:08 am

ILSTU24 wrote:This one seemed pretty obvious at the game and it upset me that Marty went so ballistic about the call/non-call. Bryant Allen took a 3 that hit the rim a second or two before the shot clock ran out. The rebound was LONG and to the corner where Bryant Allen chased it down and was WIDE OPEN the buzzer sounded from the previous shot clock just like you often times see in a game, he hoisted up another 3 that went in. Marty seemed to be the only person who thought the call was wrong and the ref just looked at him with a quizzical look.

Thanks for the explanation....I wasn't there, didn't see the game...and I will take your word for what happened. This was a hard one for us UE fans to lose, but we did and now we move on. There is a lot of exciting basketball to go this year in the Valley.
sect.3purple
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ACECARD » January 10th, 2012, 1:39 pm

jwa123 wrote:Yes indeed it may well be the sloppiest shot of the century but it still won the game :dance:

Don't depend on that kind of a shot to win very many games. You'll be very disappointed.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ILSTU24 » January 10th, 2012, 1:43 pm

No, we spend hours at practice setting up the back n forth last minute of the game just to get that shot off... and yes we definitely depend on desperation threes from the most unlikely source to win all of our games. :roll: C'mon... time ran out.. we were ahead. :roll:
ILSTU24
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball