Evansville Aces at Illinois State (Sat, Jan 7th)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Evansville Aces at Illinois State (Sat, Jan 7th)

Postby UE 71 » January 7th, 2012, 3:46 pm

kramer33 wrote:Evansville with 2 free throws to lead 73-72 with 2.8 seconds left.

Threloff throws inbounds almost length of floor and Carmichael hits a 3 at the buzzer. 75-73 Redbirds! What a finish!

Let's be clear. Carmichael's shot was from the sideline and it banked in. He actually missed it so far he made it. UE is showing it deserved its preseason finish and will knock off anyone in the Valley on a given night.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sect.3purple » January 7th, 2012, 3:58 pm

The ACES are for real...heartbreaking loss today with a lucky shot at the buzzer, also a 3-point shot that the refs counted that was shot after the shot clock sounded and defense stopped by the ACES ????

UE can compete against anyone in the Valley. We do need a battler...and a rebounder in the center. If I were a big center I would race to Evansville and sign up for Marty's team. They play great basketball....usually the underdog, but always a fighter!
sect.3purple
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby AndShock » January 7th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Any video of the shot?

Went looking for the video myself, couldn't find it. I did find ISU's audio of the shot though and that was a really boring call.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » January 7th, 2012, 7:03 pm

AndShock wrote:Any video of the shot?

Went looking for the video myself, couldn't find it. I did find ISU's audio of the shot though and that was a really boring call.

Just added to The MVC Report. link: www.mvcfans.com
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Ace Dad » January 7th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Ace Dad wrote:Birds will be predicted to win this match. Should be a dogfight to the end. Since we have lost 4 one possession games, the Basketball Gods will be wearing Purple on Saturday. Aces by 2-3 points.

http://www.goredbirds.com/sports/m-bask ... 12aaf.html

We must be one of the best 2-2 teams in MVC recent history based on the back to back one possession losses.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » January 7th, 2012, 7:59 pm

Why in Christian Laetner's name did we not have a big man guarding the inbounds man???
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ace Dad » January 7th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Aces1982 wrote:Why in Christian Laetner's name did we not have a big man guarding the inbounds man???

Scenario 1: Do not guard the inbound pass and put 5 defenders on 4 players, focusing on the taller players.

Fan reaction when the play fails:

Why in Christian Laetner's name did we not have a big man guarding the inbounds man?

Scenario 2: Put a short, quick player on the inbound pass and 4 defenders on 4 players, with the tallest defender on their tallest player.

Why did we put a short player on the inbound pass?

Scenario 3: Put a tall, rangy player on the inbound pass and 4 defenders on 4 players, with the next tallest or most athletic defender on their tallest player.

Why did we put a tall, rangy player on the inbound pass?

Scenario 4: Call a timeout before the pass is attempted to see what ISU was doing offensively.

Why did we call a timeout?

Scenario 5: Do not call a timeout before the pass is attempted.

Fan reaction when the play fails: Why did we not call a timeout.

82, I am not looking for a board fight. Just saying.....................
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » January 7th, 2012, 9:04 pm

I thought this was basic strategy. Make that inbound pass as difficult as possible. If the team executes the rest then more power to them. But IMO you can't give the inbound man a free look.

I would have never ever questioned had we defended that player and they scored.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UE 71 » January 7th, 2012, 9:10 pm

I liked 5 guarding 4. In fact, we had 3 on 2 near the basket and the ball was tipped by Ryan. I would give ISUr a shot like that 20 times and we would win 19 just like today. ISUr drew to an inside strait and won. :bow:

ps Carmichael actually missed the shot, but the backboard made it for him. I would give him that shot all day long and he misses it all day long. Per ISUr people, that was his first career 3-pointer. I give him a 3-point shot all day long. The outside shooters for ISUr did not get the shot.

Sad we lost, but we have three more games next week. Go ACES!
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby WSUbballer » January 7th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Ace Dad wrote:Since we have lost 4 one possession games, the Basketball Gods will be wearing Purple on Saturday. Aces by 2-3 points.

You should never tell the "basketball gods" what to do. They don't like that.

Still another L in the books.
Black and Yellow
WSUbballer
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball