CU @ Bradley 7pm Sat

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: CU @ Bradley 7pm Sat

Postby Trifecta » January 7th, 2012, 10:06 pm

He's not too bad in the post, but he's a very poor perimeter defender. It's not really disinterest, its that he has no lateral quickness. He's not overly athletic or quick, so he gets burned off the dribble. I do think he could work on his footwork though to at least keep his man in front of him. When Echenique is back there though, he erases a lot of defensive mistakes.
Trifecta
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » January 7th, 2012, 10:20 pm

I see what you are saying about lateral quickness. But he sure seems quick enough on offense in the post!

There are plenty of players that don't possess great athleticism or quickness that are pretty good defenders. So I'm not sure that's the whole story.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 7th, 2012, 10:53 pm

glm38 wrote:I see what you are saying about lateral quickness. But he sure seems quick enough on offense in the post!

Surprisingly enough, he isn't really that quick on offense either. He just appears that way because often it seems like he is shooting the ball before he has even fully caught it.

He also works his ass off resulting in a lot of points off putbacks.

The other story tonight was Echenique's double-double, with a perfect performance from both the floor and the free throw line.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 8th, 2012, 7:35 am

Didn't mean to be overly critical of McD. I love watching him play.

Did anyone else watch this game on ESPN 3? We were surprised at the horrible quality. No score posted on the screen ever. I had to keep looking at the score on a different website. And the picture quality was really poor as well. I know it was a free broadcast but I've watched other games on ESPN 3 that have been really well done.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PorkTornado » January 8th, 2012, 9:33 am

Since its the local broadcast, ESPN3 removes the score overlay because it has sponsors on it. That was the worst quality the local station has done, and it translated over to ESPN3. Not sure what was up with it.
PorkTornado
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby dannyobyrne » January 8th, 2012, 1:26 pm

glm38 wrote:Didn't mean to be overly critical of McD. I love watching him play.

Did anyone else watch this game on ESPN 3? We were surprised at the horrible quality. No score posted on the screen ever. I had to keep looking at the score on a different website. And the picture quality was really poor as well. I know it was a free broadcast but I've watched other games on ESPN 3 that have been really well done.

KMTV -- the station that does the games locally in Omaha, whose feed was being used on ESPN 3 -- is a dumpster fire.
facebook.com/BluejayBanter
twitter.com/bluejaybanter
dannyobyrne
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby OkoboJay » January 8th, 2012, 10:59 pm

Here's Doug's 44. He makes it look way too easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-myi2n2g1o
OkoboJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 2livewu » January 9th, 2012, 7:01 am

The kid is simply a spectacular offensive player. He makes it look easy when he gets the ball, but for the non-Bluejay fans, watch him work sometime off ball.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a kid work harder in the post and not get flustered...he just keeps posting and moving and posting and moving etc.....

It really makes me appreciate how well Carl Hall played him. I think the kid could score 35 a night if they eschewed some of the team goals, just a little. He's incredible, and there should be NO discussion on POY from now on. The Odum hype has popped and Weems is great, just not Doug great.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 9th, 2012, 7:22 am

Agree with above, but with the note that Ben Smith actually guarded Doug a ton.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Polyfro » January 9th, 2012, 11:09 am

PorkTornado wrote:Since its the local broadcast, ESPN3 removes the score overlay because it has sponsors on it. That was the worst quality the local station has done, and it translated over to ESPN3. Not sure what was up with it.

Yeah, the KMTV broadcast is bad enough on their actual TV channel -- I can't imagine what it looks like when it's webcasted. Yikes.

The esteemed PorkTornado is right on the score overlay. KMTV incorporates local sponsors into the score bug, so ESPN makes them remove it for re-broadcast. I've never seen an ESPN3 version of one of KMTV's games, but my guess is they probably send them a "raw" feed with no graphics at all.
Contributing writer for White & Blue Review | Twitter: @polyfro
Polyfro
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball