UNI at Creighton - (Past Game)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: UNI at Creighton - (Past Game)

Postby glm38 » January 14th, 2012, 6:48 am

MoValley John wrote:I probably wouldn't have posted that picture. It just makes your arena look small. Zoom in next time or crop the picture. As presented, it looks like an oversized high school gym.

Officials: Paul Janssen, Steve Olson, Kipp Kissinger
Technical fouls: Missouri State-None. Northern Iowa-None.
Attendance: 5038

I watched the game last night on Fox sports midwest. The photo doesn't do it justice. On TV the arena didn't look like an "oversized high school gym". It looked like a good crowd and a good atmosphere last night.

5038 attendance for the MSU game last night? It sure seemed like more than that. There must have been quite a few empty seats in the upper reaches that the camera angles didn't hit.
Last edited by glm38 on January 14th, 2012, 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » January 14th, 2012, 6:50 am

MoValley John wrote:I probably wouldn't have posted that picture. It just makes your arena look small. Zoom in next time or crop the picture. As presented, it looks like an oversized high school gym.

Funny. Since the Panthers are feeling better about their team, I would just like to add...I live in a non-metro area 1 hour away from Wichita, town has a population of 14000. We regularly sell out our Men's and Women's high school basketball games to the tune of 2500 in attendance at $10.00 a seat.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 14th, 2012, 6:55 am

glm38 wrote:

I watched the game last night on Fox sports midwest. The photo doesn't do it justice. On TV the arena didn't look like an "oversized high school gym". It looked like a good crowd and a good atmosphere last night.

I agree with that, I watched the replay. I was talking specifically to the photo. Television cameras zoom, crop and pan, showing the crowd and the game. The photo submitted shows as much roof and walls as it does crowd. The photo makes the arena look like an oversized high school gym.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: UNI at Creighton - 8pm ESPN3

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 14th, 2012, 9:46 am

shocktheheart wrote:What are the challenges that UNI is facing that other schools are not?

Being a D2 team trying to compete with full fledged Major D1 NCAA basketball schools ;)
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Re: UNI at Creighton - 8pm ESPN3

Postby MoValley John » January 14th, 2012, 11:57 am

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:
shocktheheart wrote:What are the challenges that UNI is facing that other schools are not?

Being a D2 team trying to compete with full fledged Major D1 NCAA basketball schools ;)

I forgot that factoid in my list. Sorry. I might once again emphasize the Terry Brandstad factor. Also, there isn't a Cheesecake Factory in Cedar Falls.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 14th, 2012, 12:27 pm

UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby LJay » January 14th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Here are a couple other thoughts:

BJ runs a great system that allows the sum of the parts to far outstrip the individual talent. However, they are boring to watch. McD ran the same stuff when he was there. You aren't going to get "city kids" to CF/Waterloo. CU was slow it down boring last year due to an untalented senior class and attendance was down. Plenty of sold tickets due to corporate sales but many fans disguised as gray seats last year. Better play and very entertaining play has butts in seats close to announced attendance.

I saw a UNI fan tweet that they would be Top 10 if Dougie had "honored his commitment". I disagree. I think Dougie would be a cog in the BJ wheel averaging maybe 15 ppg under BJ and they would be a similar team with perhaps a few more wins and challenging for the conference lead. IMHO, that system has a ceiling. Coach Mac completely surprised me this year by playing a fast and loose system totally foreign to what we have seen his teams play in the past. BJ doesn't strike me as a coach that will change. He recruits kids to fit his system and they look like carbon copies of the guys who just graduated, zzzzzzzz.
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 14th, 2012, 2:08 pm

If the ceiling of our "system" is the Sweet Sixteen then guess what I am happy. If he recruits players to play that "system" and we keep winning and going to the tournament you will never hear a Panther fan complain. Except when we come on here, and repeatedly hear about horrible attendance, slow white kids, and just a general how long can this keep up talk. Obviously, you haven't watched UNI enough to know that Jacobson has changed. His first couple of years were really rough. We were really slow for his first couple of years with no movement or anything on offense. Now we run more than we ever have, and we have more athletes than we ever have. A couple of them might be redshirting, but there are more athletes on this team than ever (at least athletes as defined by ValleyTalk).

Edit: And also Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, and Minneapolis must not be considered "cities" or at least not for your definition of "city kids". Unless you really mean "black kids".
Last edited by UNIFanSince1983 on January 14th, 2012, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » January 14th, 2012, 2:32 pm

LJay wrote:Here are a couple other thoughts:

BJ runs a great system that allows the sum of the parts to far outstrip the individual talent. However, they are boring to watch. McD ran the same stuff when he was there. You aren't going to get "city kids" to CF/Waterloo. CU was slow it down boring last year due to an untalented senior class and attendance was down. Plenty of sold tickets due to corporate sales but many fans disguised as gray seats last year. Better play and very entertaining play has butts in seats close to announced attendance.

I saw a UNI fan tweet that they would be Top 10 if Dougie had "honored his commitment". I disagree. I think Dougie would be a cog in the BJ wheel averaging maybe 15 ppg under BJ and they would be a similar team with perhaps a few more wins and challenging for the conference lead. IMHO, that system has a ceiling. Coach Mac completely surprised me this year by playing a fast and loose system totally foreign to what we have seen his teams play in the past. BJ doesn't strike me as a coach that will change. He recruits kids to fit his system and they look like carbon copies of the guys who just graduated, zzzzzzzz.

How's the weather in fairy-tale land?
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 14th, 2012, 3:10 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:If the ceiling of our "system" is the Sweet Sixteen then guess what I am happy.

That is what is wrong with UNI and Evansville. Kinda sums it up.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball