Illinois St. @ Wichita St.

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby BirdmanBB » January 10th, 2012, 10:22 am

Wichita St. opens up -13 which I think is a reasonable line to start at.

If this turns into a grinder I think ISU can hang, but if we let up at all WSU will run away with this one. I think the two major keys to this game are going to be rebounding and free throw shooting, but moreso, foul trouble. I think both teams are fairly good at shooting free throws, but it will be important for both teams to try and get key players into foul trouble early by driving the lane.

I have WSU winning this one, but weirder things have happened (MSU winning at Creighton, ISU winning at MSU).

I think both teams have players who can go off on any given night. Defensively the question will be if ISU's bigs can keep up with WSU's quickness.

The way to really attack the redbirds is by screening and driving the lane. How has WSU been given trouble this year?
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Illinois St. @ Wichita St.

Postby shocktheheart » January 10th, 2012, 11:26 am

BirdmanBB wrote:Wichita St. opens up -13 which I think is a reasonable line to start at.

If this turns into a grinder I think ISU can hang, but if we let up at all WSU will run away with this one. I think the two major keys to this game are going to be rebounding and free throw shooting, but moreso, foul trouble. I think both teams are fairly good at shooting free throws, but it will be important for both teams to try and get key players into foul trouble early by driving the lane.

I have WSU winning this one, but weirder things have happened (MSU winning at Creighton, ISU winning at MSU).

I think both teams have players who can go off on any given night. Defensively the question will be if ISU's bigs can keep up with WSU's quickness.

The way to really attack the redbirds is by screening and driving the lane. How has WSU been given trouble this year?

What has given WSU trouble on the offensive end is big athletic big men that give Stutz problems. Another thing is if Ragland or Murry can't drive we also seem to have problems.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ShockValue » January 10th, 2012, 5:12 pm

This game frightens me. We've struggled at home some since last year so even a one point win will satisfy me tonight.
ShockValue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 45otseoj » January 10th, 2012, 5:20 pm

If the 'good birds' show up it should be a competitive game. Could be a big game for Carl Hall. Carmichael and Stutz should balance each other out, but we (IlSU) lack a 4 that likes to bang. I think the Birds match up with Creighton much better, because the Shox can out-muscle the Birds.
IlStU
45otseoj
All MVC
All MVC

Postby JamesILSTU » January 10th, 2012, 7:04 pm

I don't know a whole lot about Wichita, just what I've been reading. I'm hoping our Birds can show up to play and really give the Shockers a game tonight! Go Birds!
JamesILSTU
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby shockem » January 10th, 2012, 7:18 pm

birds in a hole early.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockem » January 10th, 2012, 7:21 pm

22-5 early on
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockem » January 10th, 2012, 7:51 pm

38-22 shox up at half
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » January 10th, 2012, 7:53 pm

Shox doing exactly what I thought they would against us using their quickness to exploit our bigs driving the lane and creating fouls. I wish we would wake up and start doing the same thing instead of trying to bail ourselves out with the 3 ball.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shockem » January 10th, 2012, 7:56 pm

I can't figure out why the guards for ISU don't take those inside shots. They get a good drive and get in good position then throw it back out the the perimter. They need to go to the hoop on those drives.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball