MSU at UNI (Past Game)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MSU at UNI

Postby NEI Panther » January 14th, 2012, 12:18 am

A lot of missed calls tonight. Kirk for MSU traveled every single time he got the ball and also had 3 or 4 very obvious moving screens. Two different times the refs missed players standing on the out of bounds line. The last play just summed up the night for the refs. If one of MSU players would have fell down on the last play, they would have most likley called a charge, it seemed like they called a lot on both teams tonight.
NEI Panther
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 14th, 2012, 12:31 am

How often does Patterson play like that? Seriously guy was unbelievable tonight. Couldn't miss! It was a great game, and some questionables at the end, but those usually happen in close games. If it comes down to the end you can't count on officials. I also don't care that Lusk had instructed the refs he wanted time after UNI scores. He needs to tell his players. And as stated there were two seniors on the floor that should have known. Either way it was a great game, and Weems is just as good as ever. It is always tough to lose like that. It is never tough to win like that though! I will take a very big win any time we can get one!! :D
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUDuo » January 14th, 2012, 1:23 am

If we just attack the basket when up 3 with a minute and a half to go, then I might feel better about the loss... That falls on Lusk, he's played enough ball in his life to know that milking the click is not in your best interests. Attack and score or attack and extend the game a little longer. Both are better outcomes than milking the clock and not scoring.

Before the season I would have taken 3-3 at this point so we're still sheaf of schedule and can still win the league. Need UNI to holds serve at home the rest of the way
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby FeartheQ » January 14th, 2012, 5:10 am

NEI Panther wrote:A lot of missed calls tonight. Kirk for MSU traveled every single time he got the ball

Actually, he didn't.

UNIFanSince1983 wrote: I also don't care that Lusk had instructed the refs he wanted time after UNI scores. He needs to tell his players. D

Why? Coaches can call timeouts too. It is now his fault that he didn't receive his timeout?
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MoValley John » January 14th, 2012, 5:42 am

I watched the replay. MSU has little to complain about except being disappointed over the outcome. It was a tough loss for MSU, but winning on the road is difficult. The one thing I took away from watching the game is that I really don't like watching UNI play. Ugly basketball, and with the talent infusion in the league this year, I don't know if the slow down, jersey grabbing techniques are going to get them into the top three or four. UNI got very lucky.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Hail Our Panthers » January 14th, 2012, 5:57 am

My thoughts from the game.

1) The officials were completely overwhelmed in the last 22 seconds of that game.
2) Watching it live I came away thinking a) Koch must have traveled while he was falling down and delivering that pass b) Chip had to have traveled but there were so many guys around him that it was tough to tell from my angle c) Chip had to have been getting fouled under the basket.
3) Lusk did shake hands with Ben. He was upset after the play and rightfully so. He and his staff disputed the play for a bit, but when when discussion was over, he went over and shook hands. He was upset and didn't say much but who cares. I like this guy.
4) Weems is still a heck of a player. UNI tried to take him away like they did McD and were successful. He hit a few threes in transition and on offensive rebounds after the defense had broken down but UNI did a great job with him. But he didn't take himself out of the game and he was efficient. Patterson stepped up big tonight I think he missed only once from both the floor and stripe.
5) I managed to catch a replay, here's my updated thoughts. a) I'm fine with the no travel call on Koch. b) Chip HAD to have traveled (still couldn't see it because he was surrounded and his feet were hidden). He moved a pretty good distance and I doubt he got any dribbles off while being mugged.
6) The refs could have easily called a travel or a foul. They swallowed their whistles. Tough break for the Bears to lose a big game like that. I feel bad for them, I really do but with the two angles I saw I can understand why nothing was called.
7) MSU has got to feel like they let that one get away. It was real close the whole way (off memory I think MSU had a largest lead of 6 and UNI a lead 4) but it certainly didn't feel like we were going to pull that one off until the very end. Someone missed a wide open 3 with 50 secs from the wing that would have sealed it for MSU. He's gotta wish he could have that one back.
8) As a UNI fan I don't really care how it went down. Survive and advance mentality there. A loss and Thursday night would have been looming large, and a win gives us a good shot at a top 3 finish.
8) All in all it was a pretty standard UNI/MSU game. Man we've had some good ones the past few years
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » January 14th, 2012, 6:32 am

Disappointing. Congrats to UNI.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 14th, 2012, 6:35 am

pawball wrote:Lusk said he told one of the refs, during the last stoppage of play, that he wanted a TO if UNI scored in finals seconds and that ref nodded, ie, understood. TO not granted. Weird. T

While coaches can call timeouts, I don't believe they can schedule them in advance. If Lusk was simply waiting for the ref to give him the TO they talked about earlier instead of signaling for the TO when the scenario presented itself, he has no one to blame but himself. Probably would be a good idea to have your players signal for a TO at that moment too (instead of relying on a prior discussion with a ref).
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on January 14th, 2012, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » January 14th, 2012, 7:14 am

As many of us have expressed in this thread , this was a game lost by the Bears before the last sequence , but that does not change the poor job by the officials during that exchange. The league deserves better and both teams deserved better. I appreciate those classy UNI posters who recognize and are honest enough to admit had the call gone the other way , they would have had as much problem with it as Bears fans did. Lusk was very classy in the papaer this morning indicating that he thought the officials errored in both the call and the failure to give him his to, but that it's a good group of officials and that's just how it happens sometimes. To the few UNI fans who found a need to pile on with negative comments about our players; those things usually come back to haunt ya.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUBear42 » January 14th, 2012, 7:16 am

I think it was more he was telling the refs to look at him after any made shot and he would be calling a free throw.

Like others said, congrats to UNI. You needed that win a LOT worse than we did.
MSUBear42
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball