MSU at UNI (Past Game)

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MSU at UNI (Past Game)

Postby uniftw » January 15th, 2012, 10:59 am

troutangler wrote:A few points need to be made here:

1. Koch did not travel. He lost control of the ball, regained control, established a pivot foot and passed before the pivot foot returned to the floor.

2. Rank appeared to travel, but I wish we had an angle from the side of UNI's bench.

3. Rank did not get fouled.

4. No one in their right mind is going to call a 3-second violation in that situation. If you haven't called it all night, do not call it then.

5. Coaches can't schedule timeouts beforehand. He has to request it and if they hear or see him, they will grant it. It is not automatic by any means.
Holy piss a rational Bear fan.

FWIW, I was on the side behind the UNI bench....Rank moved his non-pivot foot about 6 times in quick succession making it look like a travel, but if you could see it from that angle he kept his back foot down which is why the shot looked so screwed up
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Kyle » January 15th, 2012, 12:24 pm

1. Koch did not travel. He lost control of the ball, regained control, established a pivot foot and passed before the pivot foot returned to the floor.

2. Rank appeared to travel, but I wish we had an angle from the side of UNI's bench.

4. No one in their right mind is going to call a 3-second violation in that situation. If you haven't called it all night, do not call it then.

5. Coaches can't schedule timeouts beforehand. He has to request it and if they hear or see him, they will grant it. It is not automatic by any means.

After watching the replay another 5 times yesterday I must say that I agree with every one of your points.
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ceaser150 » January 15th, 2012, 12:38 pm

Anyone that doesn't think Rank was fouled should look at the picture from the Des Moines Register from yesterday. It shows a Bear player with a firm grip on his left wrist as he is going up for the last shot.
ceaser150
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby glm38 » January 15th, 2012, 1:51 pm

You could be right Trout. I for one couldn't really tell for sure from the replays? Watching live (on TV) it did "appear" to be a travel. But that can be deceiving. It is interesting though that a number of UNI fans on their board thought it was a travel and I believe one even stated the win was a "gift". I wonder if uniftw thinks those are "irrational UNI fans"??

It really doesn't matter in the big picture though. Still a loss for the Bears. And we should have been able to put it away when we were up 3 with the ball.

I do have to say though that I really don't like Valley officiating. It's usually always equally bad for both teams. Inconsistency is the main problem. I'm usually not into criticizing how others do their jobs. But our Valley officials just aren't on a par with other conferences.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby shocktheheart » January 15th, 2012, 3:08 pm

glm38 wrote:

You could be right Trout. I for one couldn't really tell for sure from the replays? Watching live (on TV) it did "appear" to be a travel. But that can be deceiving. It is interesting though that a number of UNI fans on their board thought it was a travel and I believe one even stated the win was a "gift". I wonder if uniftw thinks those are "irrational UNI fans"??

It really doesn't matter in the big picture though. Still a loss for the Bears. And we should have been able to put it away when we were up 3 with the ball.

I do have to say though that I really don't like Valley officiating. It's usually always equally bad for both teams. Inconsistency is the main problem. I'm usually not into criticizing how others do their jobs. But our Valley officials just aren't on a par with other conferences.

There is no such thing as a Valley official. Each official can work for any conference they want to throughout the year.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 15th, 2012, 3:11 pm

No such thing as a Valley official?

Didn't know that? We obviously have some though that do a lot of the Valley games?
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » January 15th, 2012, 3:47 pm

glm38 wrote:No such thing as a Valley official?

Didn't know that? We obviously have some though that do a lot of the Valley games?

That is correct. But, a lot of the officials that most MVC fans recognize also do games in the Big 10, Big 12, etc. There is a list of officials that the MVC uses, but none of them work for the MVC, and virtually all of them work games for multiple conferences.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glm38 » January 15th, 2012, 4:00 pm

DUBulldog wrote:

That is correct. But, a lot of the officials that most MVC fans recognize also do games in the Big 10, Big 12, etc. There is a list of officials that the MVC uses, but none of them work for the MVC, and virtually all of them work games for multiple conferences.

Thanks.

It sure seems like when you watch a Big East or Big 12 game - that those games are in general better officiated. Could be my overactive imagination though.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » January 15th, 2012, 4:03 pm

glm38 wrote:
DUBulldog wrote:

Thanks.

It sure seems like when you watch a Big East or Big 12 game - that those games are in general better officiated. Could be my overactive imagination though.

I'm guessing that we all notice the official more when we have an emotional attachment to the game we're watching.

About half of Drake's home games are on TV in Des Moines, and I usually tape them and watch them again a few days after watching in person. The officiating never seems as bad when I'm watching the tape.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MoValley John » January 15th, 2012, 4:32 pm

DUBulldog wrote:
I'm guessing that we all notice the official more when we have an emotional attachment to the game we're watching.

About half of Drake's home games are on TV in Des Moines, and I usually tape them and watch them again a few days after watching in person. The officiating never seems as bad when I'm watching the tape.

First off, tough game for the Bears. I was pulling for them.

Secondly, DUBulldog just lost a ton of credibility with me. Dolph Pulliam disagrees that the calls get better a few days later. Dolph never saw a call and never watched a replay where bad officiating got better. Who should I trust, DUBulldog or Dolph? My money goes with Dolph.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball