Scheduling: CU seemingly completes 12-13 slate

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby LJay » January 16th, 2012, 8:50 am

Omaha paper reports CU inked a home and home with Cal-Berkeley starting out there next year. CU's schedule seems complete. It is:

@Cal
@Loyola
@Nebraska
@Bracketbuster
vs. Arkansas/Arizona State/Wisconsin (Vegas tourney)
vs. Arkansas/Arizona State/Wisconsin #2
St. Joseph's
Boise State
UAB
Tulsa
Akron
Cupcake #1 (Vegas)
Cupcake #2 (Vegas)
LJay
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Scheduling: CU seemingly completes 12-13 slate

Postby 2livewu » January 16th, 2012, 9:56 am

Great job CU. Good solid schedule with only (potentially) 2 real bad RPI games.

Now if we can just get Illinois State on board.......
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » January 16th, 2012, 10:10 am

It's an okay schedule, I am not sure I would say it is great.

Getting a home and home with Cal will be nice, but some of the others are iffy. Loyola and the two LV drag games will be bad, Boise, UAB, and Tulsa are all middle-100 RPI teams, Nebraska is Big 10 but they are still Nebraska (but I understand why they are on the schedule and I hope CU doesn't lose the chance to play them if the Big 10 expands its conference schedule), Akron and St. Joe's are the two top 100 RPI teams this year, along with Arkansas and Wisconsin (avoid Arizona State).

Would have liked to see them try and land a bigger name than Wisconsin as a potential opponent, especially with their entire team back except for Young. You know, go anywhere, play anyone: and the one away game (I hope its part of a larger deal) is at Loyola?
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 16th, 2012, 10:40 am

Loyola is a bracketbuster return game... We had no choice on that one...
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby jaybydna » January 16th, 2012, 10:51 am

UAB and Tulsa were multi-year deals booked when they finished 1-2 in Conference USA.
jaybydna
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby dannyobyrne » January 16th, 2012, 11:23 am

Loyola is one of three BracketBuster games CU will be playing next year (two of them on the road). Thanks, Elgin!

It's about as good a schedule as CU could hope for. St. Joe's will be really good, possibly top-25. One would think UAB and Tulsa would be better -- can't fault CU for scheduling those home-and-homes with teams who finished 1-2 in CUSA last year. Cal's a good get. The Vegas tourney is good, but I would assume it will pit the Jays against ASU in the first game. Nothing we can do about that. The MWC game against Boise (is this happening for sure? Isn't Boise not going to be in the MWC next year?) is OK -- but we've already played some heavy-hitters (SDSU, UNM, BYU) and UNLV's also a home team. Not much we can do about that.

Not sure how to put together a better schedule, short of whoring out on a one-and-done or something, which CU has continually said it won't do (and which I, personally, am not 100 percent against, depending on situation). There's been some talk about how next year would be the best chance of securing a made-for-ESPN game aginst a BCS, what with expected preseason hype and Dougie and whatnot. Not sure how realistic that would be.
facebook.com/BluejayBanter
twitter.com/bluejaybanter
dannyobyrne
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby shocker3 » January 16th, 2012, 12:08 pm

dannyobyrne wrote:Loyola is one of three BracketBuster games CU will be playing next year (two of them on the road). Thanks, Elgin!....

The dreaded BracketBusters strikes again. I wish Elgin would wake up and get us out of that ridiculous 142 team bonanza for all of the one-bid left-over conferences.
http://www.tomsawyer2wayradios.com
shocker3
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Red » January 16th, 2012, 1:02 pm

dannyobyrne wrote:There's been some talk about how next year would be the best chance of securing a made-for-ESPN game aginst a BCS, what with expected preseason hype and Dougie and whatnot. Not sure how realistic that would be.

I could see Creighton being "that" team that gets a lot of media attention next year and might have the chance to play a big game somewhere. Hopefully they have some flexibility in case that opportunity comes up.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdmanBB » January 16th, 2012, 1:21 pm

2livewu wrote:Great job CU. Good solid schedule with only (potentially) 2 real bad RPI games.

Now if we can just get Illinois State on board.......

Next year so far we know we got the South Padre Invite, a home Challenge game and a home game against Western Michigan. The following year starts a home/home with Northwestern. It probably would have started next year, but its looking like we are going to be playing them in South Padre.

I think our new AD is going to help turn it around for us as far as the schedule goes. We tried for home/home's with ODU and St. Louis this year, but the dates fell through. I wouldn't be surprised to see them both on the slate next year.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 16th, 2012, 6:07 pm

Call me crazy, but it seems to me that the Blue Birds have done a nice job with their scheduling.

I am not sure, if the complainers are ever satisfied about anything, much less mid-major basketball scheduling.

I still don't know why Creighton did not sign a 10 year, home and home deal with Duke or Syracuse or maybe North Carolina. <sigh> :-?
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball