Valley Officiating

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley Officiating

Postby MoValley John » January 17th, 2012, 8:17 am

troutangler wrote:
Wufan wrote:I don't like the grabbing at all!!! That said, kudos to the players for gaining an advantage that the refs aren't calling and shame on the officials for not seeing that. As long as "the grab" isn't being called, it will continue, and the opposition needs to "adjust" their defense as well.

I also think that the Valley officiating has gotten better over the past three or so years, but maybe that's because my team has been winning more.

1. We don't know that the stuff in the pictures above weren't called fouls.

2. Not all of those are fouls by themselves. You have to see the entire play and make a decision. That's why fans sometimes complain about "late whistles".

They weren't. To make it clear, McDermott went to the line for the first time in the game with less than a minute remaining in the game. He was intentionally fouled on the inbound after a UNI score. The stuff above was not called.

I would disagree that not all of those are fouls by themselves. Contact to cause a disadvantage is a foul, period. Grabbing a jersey as shown puts the ball handler at a disadvantage. Foul.

All that said, I agree with Wufan, if they aren't going to call it, you simply need to adjust. I still think grabbing is a bush league way to play.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » January 17th, 2012, 8:29 am

troutangler wrote:
Wufan wrote:I don't like the grabbing at all!!! That said, kudos to the players for gaining an advantage that the refs aren't calling and shame on the officials for not seeing that. As long as "the grab" isn't being called, it will continue, and the opposition needs to "adjust" their defense as well.

I also think that the Valley officiating has gotten better over the past three or so years, but maybe that's because my team has been winning more.

2. Not all of those are fouls by themselves. You have to see the entire play and make a decision. That's why fans sometimes complain about "late whistles".

Doesn't matter. I was speaking more in generallity about any "savvy" play that a one might make. I don't like it, but if the refs are letting it go...
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » January 17th, 2012, 8:31 am

MoValley John wrote:
troutangler wrote:

They weren't. To make it clear, McDermott went to the line for the first time in the game with less than a minute remaining in the game. He was intentionally fouled on the inbound after a UNI score. The stuff above was not called.

I would disagree that not all of those are fouls by themselves. Contact to cause a disadvantage is a foul, period. Grabbing a jersey as shown puts the ball handler at a disadvantage. Foul.

All that said, I agree with Wufan, if they aren't going to call it, you simply need to adjust. I still think grabbing is a bush league way to play.
And...UNI is the only team in the nation that grabs jerseys.....Not a single other f***ing team does it, right MVJ?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 17th, 2012, 9:01 am

uniftw wrote:
And...UNI is the only team in the nation that grabs jerseys.....Not a single other f***ing team does it, right MVJ?[/quote]

Nope, they aren't. I don't like that style of play and if that is what I saw of Creighton every week, I wouldn't attend the games. Evansville does some of it as well, but to be fair, nobody does it in the Valley to the extent of UNI. SIU used to play aggressive defense, but they flat out hit you in the mouth and forced the refs to call the game their way. I didn't like that as well, but it wasn't bush league, it wasn't do what the officials can't see stuff, it was man on man, in your face. To play SIU, you had to be tough and you knew that going in.

I am not a big fan of Creighton, I like them, but I also like Drake and Wichita State. Quite simply, I love sports. I also go to UNO hockey games, Nebraska football games and some Nebraska basketball games. Once they get past the transitional phase, I plan on attending a few UNO basketball games as well. When I lived in Sioux City, I attended Musketeer hockey games. I wasn't a big fan but it was my sports fix in that hell hole. If I lived in Cedar Falls, I would even attend the Pop Warner UNI football games. I doubt I'd attend the basketball because of the grabbing. I know what I like and I know what I don't like, and I don't like shirt grabbing, it's akin to untying your opponents shoes while they aren't looking. Like I said, it's bush league and I don't like bush league. That said, UNI is not the only team that employs this or other bush league strategies. I pay to see athletes do things that I don't have the skills to do and am not capable of doing. I can shirt grab with the best of them, so if I lived in Cedar Falls, I doubt I'd pay to go to many basketball games.

In the end, you have to play the way the game is being called and you have to adjust. I can't fault UNI for their strategy, they don't get called and they win a lot of games with the clutch and grab. But don't be upset when people don't like the way you play.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 17th, 2012, 9:44 am

troutangler wrote:1. We don't know that the stuff in the pictures above weren't called fouls.

Actually, we do. McDermott didn't shoot a single FT until the last couple of minutes of the game and only went to the line once.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby troutangler » January 17th, 2012, 11:04 am

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
troutangler wrote:1. We don't know that the stuff in the pictures above weren't called fouls.

Actually, we do. McDermott didn't shoot a single FT until the last couple of minutes of the game and only went to the line once.

The first picture isn't even McDermott and you would need to see the whole play to know if it was even a foul. If it was a foul it wasn't a shooting foul either way.

The second one may or may not be a foul depending on the play. You can't tell from one still shot.

The third one is pretty clean from that picture. You would again need to see the whole play.

The fourth one might be a foul, but once again you need to see the whole play. It looks like Dougie just got swatted though.
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby valleychamp » January 17th, 2012, 11:21 am

Holy crap, How'd I know this would become another UNI bashing thread. :roll:
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » January 17th, 2012, 11:55 am

valleychamp wrote:Holy crap, How'd I know this would become another UNI bashing thread.

don't you mean "flopping thread"?
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 17th, 2012, 12:35 pm

valleychamp wrote:Holy crap, How'd I know this would become another UNI bashing thread. :roll:

Ummm, you should have known, as the style of play that UNI employs begs for such criticism. When SIU was "Floorburn U" they got just as much of this, probably a lot more. The difference is, when these criticisms were directed at SIU, their response wasn't "Everybody else does it and you guys are just picking on us." No, SIU fans owned the criticism and wore it almost as a badge of honor. When fans discussed SIU's tactics, their response was "Wah effing wah." The other response was, "If you don't like it, beat us." Yes, SIU fans owned who their team was and how they played. Tough as nails. and yes, SIU fouled and got away with it. Other teams needed to adapt.

Once again, it dovetails into what I said in an earlier post. SIU hit their opposition in the mouth. Straight forward, face to face. If fans of other teams criticized SIU, their fans responded similarly, with a "Tough shat." UNI utilizes the untie the guys shoelaces while he's not looking tactics. Their fans also respond just like UNI plays. The old innocent, "Who us, we didn't do anything." The "Why are you picking on us?" And when that doesn't work, it's the old "Everybody else does" card.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 17th, 2012, 12:58 pm

OMG, look at these CHEATERS!!! These refs should be reprimanded.

UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball