Creighton @ MSU 1/18 7pm

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Creighton @ MSU 1/18 7pm

Postby glm38 » January 19th, 2012, 7:48 pm

MoValley John wrote:The one play that I would think that Bears fans would be upset about was the charge call that was overturned. But again, the officials ended up getting it right. I don't remember who had the ball for Creighton or who got charged with the block, but the Missouri State defender was in position, set in a defensive guarding position and got run over. The reason the call was overturned was the defender was inside the circle. If I were at the game and saw the call overturned, I'd be furious. But the officials did get it right.

You have it exactly right. I was at the game, I was furious when the call was overturned but it was probably the right call.

I don't have a problem with Lusk's statements about the officiating after the game. He's just "working" the refs after the fact. Trying to get some respect for himself (as a first year coach) and the Bears.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby troutangler » January 20th, 2012, 10:17 am

glm38 wrote:
MoValley John wrote:The one play that I would think that Bears fans would be upset about was the charge call that was overturned. But again, the officials ended up getting it right. I don't remember who had the ball for Creighton or who got charged with the block, but the Missouri State defender was in position, set in a defensive guarding position and got run over. The reason the call was overturned was the defender was inside the circle. If I were at the game and saw the call overturned, I'd be furious. But the officials did get it right.

You have it exactly right. I was at the game, I was furious when the call was overturned but it was probably the right call.

I don't have a problem with Lusk's statements about the officiating after the game. He's just "working" the refs after the fact. Trying to get some respect for himself (as a first year coach) and the Bears.

I hate to break it to you, but they aren't listening to him after the game and they don't care what he has to say.
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby glm38 » January 20th, 2012, 12:08 pm

troutangler wrote:
glm38 wrote:

I hate to break it to you, but they aren't listening to him after the game and they don't care what he has to say.

Did I say it would do any good? But so what?? Does it hurt to try? Cuonzo did the same thing. I've heard other coaches do it too multiple times.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 20th, 2012, 2:18 pm

glm38 wrote:
Did I say it would do any good? But so what?? Does it hurt to try? Cuonzo did the same thing. I've heard other coaches do it too multiple times.

As I said earlier, I did not hear Lusk's comments, I have only read what some Bear fans have passed along as the summation of what he said. With that, I would opine that nothing he said can help. And yes, I have heard other coaches do the same thing. But I do think that it can, in fact, hurt. Referees do not like being called out by coaches. Referees are bound and determined to maintain their authority. Having a coach talk negatively about officials can do nothing except piss off officials. I don't think that all or even most officials would call a game differently because a coach took his frustrations regarding the officials to the public. But at the same time, prior to tip off, every official is going to know what Lusk said and may have him on a shorter leash. They may also feel the need to establish their position of authority with Lusk. This could be a very bad thing. I'm not saying it will, but if he continues to publicly rail on officiating, it most certainly will become an issue, and not in his favor.

You also must consider the ramifications such comments can have with the league office. The Valley, and all conferences, have protocols for coaches to follow regarding disputes over officiating. Talking to the public about your displeasure with calls does not fit into that protocol. In fact, the protocol prohibits it. I don't know if Lusk crossed the line, but even if he didn't, he surely got the attention of the league office. And not in a good way.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 20th, 2012, 3:59 pm

MoValley John wrote:
glm38 wrote:

As I said earlier, I did not hear Lusk's comments, I have only read what some Bear fans have passed along as the summation of what he said. With that, I would opine that nothing he said can help. And yes, I have heard other coaches do the same thing. But I do think that it can, in fact, hurt. Referees do not like being called out by coaches. Referees are bound and determined to maintain their authority. Having a coach talk negatively about officials can do nothing except piss off officials. I don't think that all or even most officials would call a game differently because a coach took his frustrations regarding the officials to the public. But at the same time, prior to tip off, every official is going to know what Lusk said and may have him on a shorter leash. They may also feel the need to establish their position of authority with Lusk. This could be a very bad thing. I'm not saying it will, but if he continues to publicly rail on officiating, it most certainly will become an issue, and not in his favor.

You also must consider the ramifications such comments can have with the league office. The Valley, and all conferences, have protocols for coaches to follow regarding disputes over officiating. Talking to the public about your displeasure with calls does not fit into that protocol. In fact, the protocol prohibits it. I don't know if Lusk crossed the line, but even if he didn't, he surely got the attention of the league office. And not in a good way.

I really don't think he crossed the line. It's not like he was talking that negatively about the officials. But I don't know what that line is? So you may be right MVCJ.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby troutangler » January 21st, 2012, 12:17 am

I don't know what the Valley's line is and if he crossed it or not. I just don't get the "Our star player doesn't get protected" stuff and the stuff Zo used to say about "I hope we get calls when we're on top of the league". As someone posted on Bear Nation, we shot more free throws and our opponents were called for more fouls last year. Through the Creighton game it is the same this year.

They don't care about protecting any players. A lot of these guys work 3-4 D1 games a week. Does anyone really believe they give a damn about trying to slight Missouri State in some way?
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MSUDuo » January 23rd, 2012, 1:28 am

Trout, the better players get protected all the time in every sport. The QBs in the NFL, the stars in the NBA, the stars in "big time" college basketball. Lusk has been doing this longer than you and I. If he felt the need to say something then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MSUBear42 » January 23rd, 2012, 6:35 am

MSUDuo wrote:Trout, the better players get protected all the time in every sport. The QBs in the NFL, the stars in the NBA, the stars in "big time" college basketball. Lusk has been doing this longer than you and I. If he felt the need to say something then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

This... Refs know who the "star" players are.
MSUBear42
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby troutangler » January 24th, 2012, 10:08 am

MSUDuo wrote:Trout, the better players get protected all the time in every sport. The QBs in the NFL, the stars in the NBA, the stars in "big time" college basketball. Lusk has been doing this longer than you and I. If he felt the need to say something then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

The NBA is its own animal. While I like it, it is entertainment and is marketed as such. NBA philosophies differ from every other level of basketball.

The rules in the NFL call for the QB to be protected. It has nothing to do with the officials. While I don't care for their rules personally, the referees enforce them how they are intended.

If Weems isn't getting protected sufficiently, then what Valley "stars" are protected? This stuff is fan speak, plain and simple, mostly because Lusk decided to piss and moan about Weems not getting protected. (When he didn't get fouled in the first place) If Lusk would worry more about us closing a freaking game when we have a double-digit lead and worry less about making up fouls against the other team to protect our star player, maybe we wouldn't have three home conference losses right now.
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby troutangler » January 24th, 2012, 10:10 am

MSUBear42 wrote:

This... Refs know who the "star" players are.

What benefit is is to them to keep star players protected or in the game? What good could possibly come from it for them? Trust me, it is not worth it to purposefully risk your integrity just to keep star players protected.

Maybe if Weems didn't commit so many stupid fouls (Like he has his entire career), you guys wouldn't be whining about this stuff.
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball