Creighton @ MSU 1/18 7pm

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Creighton @ MSU 1/18 7pm

Postby MoValley John » January 24th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Doug McDermott is not getting protected. None of the Creighton players are. Stutz and Murry aren't getting protected at Wichita State. Rice a Drake isn't getting protected, either. The fact of the matter is this, there are very few college players that get "protected."

Lusk riled the fans with his comments and that is dangerous. This thread points out what can happen when coaches even make passing comments about officiating. We now have a thread being commented on almost a week later. Lusk now runs the risk of alienating his own fans. If he continues to comment on officials and doesn't win some important games, it won't be long until the fans that were on his side, will switch up and start saying "quit blaming the officials and win some damn games." Imagine if the Bears had the exact same record, lost the exact same games that they have lost this year, but Barry Hinson was the coach and he was making the same comments about officials. In year one of Hinson, he would get a pass. In year six, forget about it.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » January 24th, 2012, 6:20 pm

troutangler wrote:
MSUBear42 wrote:
MSUDuo wrote:Trout, the better players get protected all the time in every sport. The QBs in the NFL, the stars in the NBA, the stars in "big time" college basketball. Lusk has been doing this longer than you and I. If he felt the need to say something then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

This... Refs know who the "star" players are.

What benefit is is to them to keep star players protected or in the game? What good could possibly come from it for them? Trust me, it is not worth it to purposefully risk your integrity just to keep star players protected.

Maybe if Weems didn't commit so many stupid fouls (Like he has his entire career), you guys wouldn't be whining about this stuff.

Trout you are obviously a smart guy. I enjoy reading a lot of your posts. But sometimes I wonder if you are really an MSU fan? Running down one of the better players in MSU history like that. No player is perfect. Not even the star players. Doug McD is a great player but there are several things he doesn't do well either.

And again I listened to Lusk's comments live and they just weren't out of line (IMHO). And just because he makes a few comments about MVC refereeing in general doesn't mean he's not concentrating on end game strategy. That's just ridiculous.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MSUDuo » January 24th, 2012, 11:13 pm

MoValley John wrote:Doug McDermott is not getting protected. None of the Creighton players are. Stutz and Murry aren't getting protected at Wichita State. Rice a Drake isn't getting protected, either. The fact of the matter is this, there are very few college players that get "protected."

Lusk riled the fans with his comments and that is dangerous. This thread points out what can happen when coaches even make passing comments about officiating. We now have a thread being commented on almost a week later. Lusk now runs the risk of alienating his own fans. If he continues to comment on officials and doesn't win some important games, it won't be long until the fans that were on his side, will switch up and start saying "quit blaming the officials and win some damn games." Imagine if the Bears had the exact same record, lost the exact same games that they have lost this year, but Barry Hinson was the coach and he was making the same comments about officials. In year one of Hinson, he would get a pass. In year six, forget about it.

Dougie D does get protected. Not 5 minutes earlier he and Scheer get called for a double foul. Scheer had no business being a part of that. Dougie was flopping around like a fish and instigating every part if the contact. But because it's Dougie and Scheer is a no name, there was no way that the official was going to just call a foul on McD.

And we get it, you loved Hinson. Quit bringing him up.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MoValley John » January 25th, 2012, 12:17 am

They replayed the whole double foul on TV.they did it several times. Itwas the right call. McDermott flopped twice Sheer shoved and grabbed a couple of times. When they started up again, the ref whistled them both. Even the MSU announcers agreed with the call. If they were protecting McDermott, it wouldn't have been a double foul, Sheer would have been whistled. If the officials are protecting McDermott, they wouldn't have let UNI be so physical against him.

As for Hinson, this is just to demonstrate what can happen when a coach brings up these issues, nothing more. If Lusk continues to win, the fans will allow it. When they don't win, fans will get sick of the excuses. It's not about Hinson or lusk, it is any coach. Blaming officials only goes so far.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby troutangler » January 25th, 2012, 1:20 am

glm38 wrote:
Trout you are obviously a smart guy. I enjoy reading a lot of your posts. But sometimes I wonder if you are really an MSU fan? Running down one of the better players in MSU history like that. No player is perfect. Not even the star players. Doug McD is a great player but there are several things he doesn't do well either.

And again I listened to Lusk's comments live and they just weren't out of line (IMHO). And just because he makes a few comments about MVC refereeing in general doesn't mean he's not concentrating on end game strategy. That's just ridiculous.

I wasn't trying to run Weems down. It's just that for the better part of his career, he has had trouble with getting in foul trouble early in games. He has been a little better this year though. I'm just pointing out that this isn't some conspiracy against Weems over a four year period. There is a common denominator in the equation, and I'll let you figure out who or what it is.

I don't agree that Lusk's comments were about MVC refereeing in general. His comments were that Weems doesn't get protected and that he thought Weems got fouled on our last possession in that game.
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 25th, 2012, 12:36 pm

First of all, I completely dispute that MCDermott is getting protected by the refs. I watched MSU hammer the crap out of him in Omaha and get away with it. Ditto with UNI.

However, assuming that every star player gets protected except for Weems as Lusk apparently wants us all to believe, maybe one should consider why that might be the case. If true, could it at all be because of his immature court antics? We've seen officials hold grudges against players before (P'Allen, Jamar Howard) and there are certainly times that Weems floor antics resemble closely those of the other players treated this way. If Lusk really is right (which I think is not the case), maybe he should spend his time telling Weems to quit acting like a such an a-hole instead of whining about not getting calls....
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » January 25th, 2012, 5:16 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:First of all, I completely dispute that MCDermott is getting protected by the refs. I watched MSU hammer the crap out of him in Omaha and get away with it. Ditto with UNI.

However, assuming that every star player gets protected except for Weems as Lusk apparently wants us all to believe, maybe one should consider why that might be the case. If true, could it at all be because of his immature court antics? We've seen officials hold grudges against players before (P'Allen, Jamar Howard) and there are certainly times that Weems floor antics resemble closely those of the other players treated this way. If Lusk really is right (which I think is not the case), maybe he should spend his time telling Weems to quit acting like a such an a-hole instead of whining about not getting calls....

i don't think McD is getting protected by the refs? Did someone say that?

Did you even hear Lusk's comments. They are being blown all out of proportion.

And I don't recall Weems whining to the officials at all? Or even seeing any "antics" at all in the 2 CU games. All I saw was him outplaying McD in both the CU/MSU games. Which isn't an easy thing to do.

Classy post DoubleJay.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 25th, 2012, 9:30 pm

glm38 wrote:[

i don't think McD is getting protected by the refs? Did someone say that?

Did you even hear Lusk's comments. They are being blown all out of proportion.

And I don't recall Weems whining to the officials at all? Or even seeing any "antics" at all in the 2 CU games. All I saw was him outplaying McD in both the CU/MSU games. Which isn't an easy thing to do.

Classy post DoubleJay.

MSUDuo said it.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball