Creighton @ MSU 1/18 7pm

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Creighton @ MSU 1/18 7pm

Postby MoValley John » January 18th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Wow. This thread died pretty quickly. I guess a close, well played game with few fouls and not much in the blown call by the refs will lead to not much discussion.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » January 18th, 2012, 10:45 pm

WSUbballer wrote:Another big road win. Creighton proved who top boss is in the league right now.

MSU will be a b*tch in March to play at Arch Madness. MSU's season is gonna come down to that.

Thanks. At this point it's obvious we aren't quite in CU or WSU's league. But i just don't think we are that far away either. Hopefully we'll have it together by the tournament.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 18th, 2012, 11:00 pm

Great game.

I think Weems and McDermott wore each other out on the defensive end.

GIve me a one point victory on the road any day!

I'll say this Bear fans - I'm glad we are done playing you until at least St Louis (and hopefully not there either).
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 18th, 2012, 11:06 pm

glm38 wrote:
WSUbballer wrote:Another big road win. Creighton proved who top boss is in the league right now.

MSU will be a b*tch in March to play at Arch Madness. MSU's season is gonna come down to that.

Thanks. At this point it's obvious we aren't quite in CU or WSU's league. But i just don't think we are that far away either. Hopefully we'll have it together by the tournament.

I think this is true...not there, but not far. Drake, ISUr and UNI are all capable, but 1 year away. Next year will be even more brutal.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 18th, 2012, 11:19 pm

Wufan wrote:
I think this is true...not there, but not far. Drake, ISUr and UNI are all capable, but 1 year away. Next year will be even more brutal.

Next year looks to be really, really fun!
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » January 18th, 2012, 11:27 pm

I think that through the rest of the season MSU will easily pull away from the logjam in 3rd right now. MSU has had a pretty tough schedule so far. I just don't see MSU remaining tied with DU and SIU very long.

The most surprising thing about the posts in this thread is that I haven't found a single complaint about officiating in a 1-point game. That's unbelievable.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 18th, 2012, 11:32 pm

Aargh wrote:The most surprising thing about the posts in this thread is that I haven't found a single complaint about officiating in a 1-point game. That's unbelievable.

Let me make it even more unbelievable for you -------- Gerry Pollard was one of the refs!
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby troutangler » January 18th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Aargh wrote:I think that through the rest of the season MSU will easily pull away from the logjam in 3rd right now. MSU has had a pretty tough schedule so far. I just don't see MSU remaining tied with DU and SIU very long.

The most surprising thing about the posts in this thread is that I haven't found a single complaint about officiating in a 1-point game. That's unbelievable.

Oh just wait. The crybabies from Bear Nation haven't made it over here I guess. 42 and some of the others say Weems was "clearly" fouled on our second to last possession when he took the jump shot in front of the Bears' bench. The video says otherwise: http://www.kspr.com/sports/kspr-missouri-state-basketball-bears-fall-6665-to-18th-ranked-creighton-20120118,0,2966332.story

He's clueless.
troutangler
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MoValley John » January 19th, 2012, 12:15 am

Completely meaningless stat after game 8. Here is the combined conference record of each Valley team's opponents so far this conference season.
Creighton 31-33
Wichita State 25-39
Drake 28-36
Illinois State 35-29
Missouri State 35-29
Evansville 29-35
UNI 34-30
SIU 34-30
Indiana State 31-33
Bradley 38-26

I don't know what to make of this other than Bradley, besides sucking, has had an absolutely brutal schedule for the first half of the season.

See, I told you it was totally meaningless.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 19th, 2012, 1:25 am

Trout, based on your comment, I read the thread on Bear-nation. I also watched the replay of the final minute several times looking for a foul, I didn't see anything. I know the emotions of the game can taint people's perspective, but Weems appeared to have a good look but it looked like the ball got blocked a little bit, however it was an absolutely clean play. Downing's shot at the end was a bit rushed, but that was also clean. As for the double foul, both players were fighting and the double foul was probably correct. Either way, that call actually was to Missouri State's favor, as Creighton retained possession, but there is no shot clock reset and the possession arrow switched from Creighton to Missouri State.

All that said, like I mentioned in a previous post, the game was very clean with few fouls needing to be called. I thought the referees did a very good job, I understand Lusk being upset, he absolutely got jobbed at UNI and that might have jaded him, but if he did go off on the officials in the post game presser, that wasn't his smartest move of the day. With Elgin in attendance, it was probably a really bad move. Then again, I don't know what if anything he might have said, I'm just going off of the fan's comments on Bear-nation.
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball