Bradley at Evansville 1/18

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bradley at Evansville 1/18

Postby havoc » January 19th, 2012, 7:20 am

Aargh wrote:I just checked the stats to find out how many points Ryan ended up with. It was 39.

There was one disturbing stat I noticed. In a 23-point win in a game that wasn't any where near that close, Ryan got 38 minutes. I don't mind his minutes for running up the score or padding stats. My problem is that it's a long season and players wear down toward the end of the season.

This game was an opportunity to get some rest for Ryan. Maybe limit his minutes to something in the 20's. If Ryan runs out of gas late in the season, UE goes from pre-season top half of the league team to a Thursday night team.

Couldn't agree more. He played every minute up till the last two. I can think of no positives in keeping him in that long.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby pafan » January 19th, 2012, 8:15 am

In Marty's defense, the walk-ons checked in at the scorer's table with like 3:57 on the clock. There wasn't a dead ball until Marty called a timeout to get the subs in at 2:10.

37 vs. 39 minutes is kind of splitting hairs, though.

(Disclaimer: Time markers are approximate based on my memory alone)
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Postby musiccitybulldog » January 19th, 2012, 8:30 am

I am surprised somewhat with the blow out. Was Colt's shooting and Taylors rebounding just too much from the opening tip and never let up?
Did Evansville run a lot more than normal and converted? No doubt something worked very right.
Suprised Bradleys adjustments wouldn't have more effect.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby TylerDurden » January 19th, 2012, 9:30 am

musiccitybulldog wrote:I am surprised somewhat with the blow out. Was Colt's shooting and Taylors rebounding just too much from the opening tip and never let up?
Did Evansville run a lot more than normal and converted? No doubt something worked very right.
Suprised Bradleys adjustments wouldn't have more effect.

Bradley isn't very good.

After Taylor Brown, it's a crap shoot for them at the moment. Simms-Edwards has not built on last season's strong finish and no one else is consistent in any way. True, there is a new system and coach to explain some of the inconsistency, but that screams lack of talent to me. Brown seems to get it and he has the most talent on the team. Not a coincidence, IMO.

Ryan was 8-of-14 from three and UE was 12-of-21.

The Aces took 19 more shots and made 13 more.

Bradley turned it over 21 times. If UE hadn't turned it over 16 times, this might have been a 40-point win for the Aces.
Last edited by TylerDurden on January 19th, 2012, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
TylerDurden
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » January 19th, 2012, 11:43 am

2livewu wrote:Speaking of Thursday games, assuming BU and SIU lose on Thursday (and that seems a pretty safe assumption right now) the 1-8 and 2-7 games are likely to be a whole lot more competitive than they usually are.

And 38 minutes for Ryan is stupid and indefensible.

Winning by more than 10 points and scoring more than 20, will not be tolerated on this board. A more burning question is, why do you care?
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UE 71 » January 19th, 2012, 12:22 pm

Might want to check last year's stats on playing time for Ryan. He averaged nearly this many minutes per game for the season, so what's the beef? He was not looking for his shot in the second half and was there to stabilize the offense and keep the defense honest.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby havoc » January 19th, 2012, 12:25 pm

UE 71 wrote:Might want to check last year's stats on playing time for Ryan. He averaged nearly this many minutes per game for the season, so what's the beef? He was not looking for his shot in the second half and was there to stabilize the offense and keep the defense honest.

I'm a UE fan, and I must say I'm pretty disappointed that they only team Ryan left the game last night was with two minuets to go. I don't see the positives in having your best player on the floor, expending energy and risking injury, in a game that is clearly in the bag. Can you name one?

If the second string for UE can't hold a 30 point lead for 10 minuets, there is a problem.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby UE 71 » January 19th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Ryan risks injury the first minute he steps on the floor. In fact, he risks injury every time he takes the practice court (Jahr), so this is a non-issue for me. Ryan has been playing 35+ minutes a game average since he became an ACE, so he is not being forced to play extra time but his usual time. His previous game was the Saturday before and his next game is not until Saturday and a home game. He was on the practice floor today, so "rest" is not an issue. The Coach had his replacement ready to check in at the next dead ball with more than 4 minutes to play, but it didn't come and he was forced to call a TO. And NO, I don't have confidence in the second team to protect a 30-point lead with 11 minutes to go. Holmes, Jones and Taylor had 4 fouls and Harris had 3, so a couple of whistle blows could have had a large impact on the game. Five minutes like the Drake game with the 3-point shot and the lead could have evaporated to a point to energize the Bradley players. With all the criticism that the ACES do not have a killer instinct, this was not the time to play around. A blow-out was more important to the team than a few extra minutes on the bench for Ryan.
UE 71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ace Dad » January 19th, 2012, 4:12 pm

2livewu wrote:Speaking of Thursday games, assuming BU and SIU lose on Thursday (and that seems a pretty safe assumption right now) the 1-8 and 2-7 games are likely to be a whole lot more competitive than they usually are.

And 38 minutes for Ryan is stupid and indefensible.

Coach 2livewu:

If your team had lost 4 games by 4 or less points, to include two last second shots, you would put as many points on the board as you could, not knowing if Bradley would be able to come back. That said, I understand your point in pulling Ryan at about the 5-6 minute point so he is not hurt.

When my son was an Ace, I attended a Panthers at the Aces game. A friend from DC flew in with me. The Aces were ahead by 21 points and my friend looked over at me and said "game over." I said "this is college basketball, it is never over." You guessed it: Northern Iowa clawed their way back into the game and beat Evansville, in Evansville, after being behind 21 points.
There is no difference between basketball and life. Give both your best and ignore the "fans" on the sideline.
Ace Dad
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » January 19th, 2012, 6:08 pm

Ace Dad, I respect your knowledge and appreciate your insight, but you should know as well as anyone that the margin for error for the Aces is small. Supreme effort, preparation and execution are key to the team's success.

Building depth through experience, in the cramped schedule of the Valley is needed as fatigue and injuries are sure to set in.

That you, with all your knowledge and experience, can't see this, surprises me. The game was not in doubt, and giving Colt a breather here and there wasn't going to change the outcome. And I am not talking about running up the score. I don't care if the Aces had pressed for 40 minutes...it's up to Bradley to get better.

But not taking the opportunity to get additional minutes for those that could use the experience, simply doesn't make sense.

And as for the smart "coach 2livewu"....unless you've walked a mile in my shoes......
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball