Wichita State at UNI - 7pm Wednesday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita State at UNI - 7pm Wednesday

Postby MoValley John » January 19th, 2012, 3:23 pm

Khan4Cats wrote:
MoValley John wrote:UNI is somewhat of an enigma. They looked like world beaters in the non-con, but totally human in conference. I am just opining this and there may be nothing to it, but it bears to ask, have coaches in the Valley learned to gameplan against UNI's system? If that is the case, it is time for Jacobson to adapt.

Yes, coaches in the Valley are more familiar with UNI's players and style and that probably does have some things to say about the difference in conference/non-conference. But I agree with the previous posters that UNI has just been too darn inconsistent this year to say that they have been solved. They have led in the second half of all of their conference losses this year.

UNI has shown to not be a great team against a zone, going all the way back to the first few years with McDermott and Jake here. So why don't Valley teams go all-zone, all the time against them? Well, first, most Valley coaches don't coach that system. And second, UNI does have enough outside shooters that have been able to torch teams enough times to make coaches decide to stick with what they do best.

I venture to say that you guys will be seeing more and more zone. It seems like it really works. And yes, Valley teams can play zone.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 19th, 2012, 4:14 pm

I expect zone from teams like WSU, Drake, Bradley, maybe ISU red, and possibly MSU. I don't know enough about ISU blue and SIU this year to tell. I do know that McDermott and Marty are pretty stringent in their man-to-man. That isn't to say McDermott wouldn't run a zone against us. I really doubt Marty would especially since their man worked so well to beat us earlier this year.

Valley teams run zone, but most of them are man first teams. I suspect Phelps will run a zone on Sunday.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby getreal4 » January 19th, 2012, 6:04 pm

will there even be 3500 attendence for the game against Drake on Sunday night? football game might still be interesting, probably hard for the panther fans to leave the couch on a cool Sunday evening.
getreal4
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DUBulldog » January 19th, 2012, 6:21 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I expect zone from teams like WSU, Drake, Bradley, maybe ISU red, and possibly MSU. I don't know enough about ISU blue and SIU this year to tell. I do know that McDermott and Marty are pretty stringent in their man-to-man. That isn't to say McDermott wouldn't run a zone against us. I really doubt Marty would especially since their man worked so well to beat us earlier this year.

Valley teams run zone, but most of them are man first teams. I suspect Phelps will run a zone on Sunday.

I don't know....Drake has run man-to-man almost exclusively this season, and the 'dogs defense is much improved (which isn't saying much). I'm not sure if Phelps would want to switch from what's working.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » January 19th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Actually surprises me because of where Phelps came from, but you might be right with not wanting to switch what is working. Of course it seems like it is never too late for a team to switch to zone against us and still pull out a win, and if Rice plays like he did in Des Moines against us could be trouble.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby valleychamp » January 19th, 2012, 9:40 pm

getreal4 wrote:will there even be 3500 attendence for the game against Drake on Sunday night? football game might still be interesting, probably hard for the panther fans to leave the couch on a cool Sunday evening.

You are DRAKE fan. :roll: 3500 would be a huge crowd at the Knapp...
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 19th, 2012, 9:42 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I expect zone from teams like WSU, Drake, Bradley, maybe ISU red, and possibly MSU. I don't know enough about ISU blue and SIU this year to tell. I do know that McDermott and Marty are pretty stringent in their man-to-man. That isn't to say McDermott wouldn't run a zone against us. I really doubt Marty would especially since their man worked so well to beat us earlier this year.

FWIW, Creighton played zone down the stretch last night.

That being said, I don't think many MVC teams will be adjusting their defenses for UNI this year, but not for the reasons you indicate. The real reason is that UNI's offense isn't so great. It isn't stopping UNI's offense that is a key to beating UNI (at least this year). The key is finding a way to score on UNI's defense.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 19th, 2012, 9:44 pm

valleychamp wrote:
getreal4 wrote:will there even be 3500 attendence for the game against Drake on Sunday night? football game might still be interesting, probably hard for the panther fans to leave the couch on a cool Sunday evening.

You are DRAKE fan. :roll: 3500 would be a huge crowd at the Knapp...

I bet they blow past that number Wednesday night.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 19th, 2012, 9:58 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:

That being said, I don't think many MVC teams will be adjusting their defenses for UNI this year, but not for the reasons you indicate. The real reason is that UNI's offense isn't so great. It isn't stopping UNI's offense that is a key to beating UNI (at least this year). The key is finding a way to score on UNI's defense.

Without looking it up, I'm guessing that this is one of, if not the single highest scoring team that Ben Jacobson has had at UNI. While defensively, we are giving up way more points than we have the last several years. So, I pretty much disagree with you.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Snaggletooth » January 19th, 2012, 10:55 pm

valleychamp wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:

Without looking it up, I'm guessing that this is one of, if not the single highest scoring team that Ben Jacobson has had at UNI. While defensively, we are giving up way more points than we have the last several years. So, I pretty much disagree with you.

2009 team was better scoring team
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball