Wichita State at UNI - 7pm Wednesday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wichita State at UNI - 7pm Wednesday

Postby iSASO » January 19th, 2012, 6:59 am

I'll enjoy this win before talking about the next game, let alone next year. There's a lot of year left in this year so I feel sad for UNI fans that have surrendered it all. Maybe with a big resurgence next year, UNI will average 4,800 per game.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby shockem » January 19th, 2012, 8:35 am

what are the odds Dougie Fresh enters the NBA draft? He could legitimately be a 1st round pick this year, especially if CU makes a little noise in the dance.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Hail Our Panthers » January 19th, 2012, 9:09 am

I feel like not very good but I don't follow the NBA much. It seems that he is a man without a position in the NBA..not quick enough to be a guard but too small to be a forward.
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby havoc » January 19th, 2012, 9:22 am

Hail Our Panthers wrote:I feel like not very good but I don't follow the NBA much. It seems that he is a man without a position in the NBA..not quick enough to be a guard but too small to be a forward.

I don't know about his speed, but he is roughly the same size has Gordon Hayward. He seems to be fitting in pretty well with the Jazz.
havoc
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby cu8493 » January 19th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Seems like I saw mention of a similar discussion somewhere else. I really, really doubt Doug is a first round draft pick. He has many things to work on - not the least of which is defense. I really haven't seen him hit anything from three point range, either. So I don't know that he has NBA range. He may be a first round pick in a couple of years, but I think he would be remiss to leave after this year since a second round pick means no guarantied contract.
cu8493
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Snaggletooth » January 19th, 2012, 1:37 pm

iSASO wrote:I'll enjoy this win before talking about the next game, let alone next year. There's a lot of year left in this year so I feel sad for UNI fans that have surrendered it all. Maybe with a big resurgence next year, UNI will average 4,800 per game.

I agree. It is kind of nice to do what UNI has did to wsu during the turgeon years where they would pull shots out of their butt like Murray did (though I thought he was fouled) last night to win on the road. It is unfortunate that it looks like UNI is not going to be able to capitalize on their good non-conference results this year.
Last edited by Snaggletooth on January 19th, 2012, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snaggletooth
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MoValley John » January 19th, 2012, 1:44 pm

UNI is somewhat of an enigma. They looked like world beaters in the non-con, but totally human in conference. I am just opining this and there may be nothing to it, but it bears to ask, have coaches in the Valley learned to gameplan against UNI's system? If that is the case, it is time for Jacobson to adapt.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 19th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Good coaches learn to successfully gameplan against every conference team. Thats why winning conference games is so hard. If you have enough talent, winning games is just a matter of execution, and right now UNI is not getting it done.

There is no "secret system" that people have suddenly figured out.
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 19th, 2012, 2:02 pm

valleychamp wrote:Good coaches learn to successfully gameplan against every conference team. Thats why winning conference games is so hard. If you have enough talent, winning games is just a matter of execution, and right now UNI is not getting it done.

There is no "secret system" that people have suddenly figured out.

I agree. UNIs inconsistency this year stems from being a little young.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » January 19th, 2012, 3:15 pm

MoValley John wrote:UNI is somewhat of an enigma. They looked like world beaters in the non-con, but totally human in conference. I am just opining this and there may be nothing to it, but it bears to ask, have coaches in the Valley learned to gameplan against UNI's system? If that is the case, it is time for Jacobson to adapt.

Yes, coaches in the Valley are more familiar with UNI's players and style and that probably does have some things to say about the difference in conference/non-conference. But I agree with the previous posters that UNI has just been too darn inconsistent this year to say that they have been solved. They have led in the second half of all of their conference losses this year.

UNI has shown to not be a great team against a zone, going all the way back to the first few years with McDermott and Jake here. So why don't Valley teams go all-zone, all the time against them? Well, first, most Valley coaches don't coach that system. And second, UNI does have enough outside shooters that have been able to torch teams enough times to make coaches decide to stick with what they do best.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball