Standings After 8 Games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Standings After 8 Games

Postby pafan » January 18th, 2012, 10:18 pm

I nominate MVCFans for most magical] offseason prediction.

As in, it will really take some magic to come true.

viewtopic.php?p=20112#p20112

:lol:
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby PowderBlue » January 18th, 2012, 10:19 pm

MoValley John wrote:
PowderBlue wrote:you stay classy shocktheheart. Glad the rules apply to most.

MoValleyJohn, I expected some falling back to earth, and posted so earlier this year. Every team is gonna give the Sycs their best this year after that run in STL last year. I didn't expect it to look like this. I don't have much going in the way of connections on campus anymore, so I can't even speculate if it's bad leadership, egos, or something else. I definitely don't think it's the coach...at least not yet. He's got some leeway at this point still in my book.

Just for the record, my comment wasn't trolling. I knew you guys were struggling, but have only really paid attention to the top, CU,WSU, UNI and MSU. When I looked at the standings, I was shocked that you guys were struggling this badly. I didn't have ISU Blue penciled in at third in the preseason, but I had them nowhere near 2-6 right now.

I didn't think you were MVJ. I thought MAYBE they could push the top two if everything fell into place perfectly...didn't see this perfect storm of crap happening, though.
PowderBlue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Bawss » January 19th, 2012, 12:49 am

shocktheheart wrote:
MoValley John wrote:Indiana State at 2-7????????????????????????????????????????? I don't care if Odum has a hurt foot, they should have been better than 2-7.

From NCAA tournament team to possible cellar dwellar. Couldn't happen to a better group of bandwagon fans!

I really don't get how you concluded this.
Bawss
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Aargh » January 19th, 2012, 3:21 am

Bawss wrote:
shocktheheart wrote:
MoValley John wrote:Indiana State at 2-7????????????????????????????????????????? I don't care if Odum has a hurt foot, they should have been better than 2-7.

From NCAA tournament team to possible cellar dwellar. Couldn't happen to a better group of bandwagon fans!

I really don't get how you concluded this.

Welcome, stranger You must be new to these parts. At least you must not have been here last summer when we endured more than a little hype from a few InSU fans who were convinced that 3 games in March last year was an indication of royalty this year.

We also heard how Odum was going to beat DMac for POY. Actually, we heard about Odum no matter what the original thread had been. He was brought up in about every thread as the greatest player in the history of the Valley - right up there with Larry Bird.

Karma's a B with an itch and those of us who endured the off-season out here are feeling some sweet justice for a few InSU fans who were more than impressed with their team in the off-season.

I think DU alone in 3rd is more of a surprise than InSU alone in 9th.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » January 19th, 2012, 7:06 am

Bandwagon fans.

Where are some of the "big" ISUB fans? They are nowhere to be found.

If the Trees were 6-2 instead of 2-6, I could name a half dozen fans that would be prancing around here like peacocks.

Borderline same thing for UNI fans, but not as bad. However under 5k last night was weak. I could hear WSU fans taking over the low brass cheer (UNI version) late in the game. Sad.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PowderBlue » January 19th, 2012, 8:47 am

2livewu wrote:Bandwagon fans.

Where are some of the "big" ISUB fans? They are nowhere to be found.

If the Trees were 6-2 instead of 2-6, I could name a half dozen fans that would be prancing around here like peacocks.

Borderline same thing for UNI fans, but not as bad. However under 5k last night was weak. I could hear WSU fans taking over the low brass cheer (UNI version) late in the game. Sad.

On the half dozen fans...that may be true, but isn't it true of every team? Everyone has their morons, right? The sheer volume of WSU and CU fans here (and in the stands) helps to squelch their dummies...some of us don't have that luxury in our fan bases. I can't tell you how embarrassed I was to hear fans chanting BS at the Hulman Center on Sunday after an OBVIOUS travel was called. I understand being a fan and a homer...but there's a line there somewhere.

I understand you had to put up with silly (stupid?) comments. But it shouldn't paint our entire fan base that way, just as it shouldn't paint your entire fan base that way. If/When those people come back, rail them. Seriously. They deserve it.

I just don't appreciate the fact that some folks can get away with pretty inflammatory and degrading comments and others can't. It doesn't sit well with me. Besides, there are plenty of ways to make fun of my alma mater without personalizing it. :)
PowderBlue
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdmanBB » January 19th, 2012, 8:51 am

Drake could be 5-6 in conference by the start of Feb. They got a tough slate coming up. @UNI, vs. CU, vs. WSU.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bawss » January 19th, 2012, 9:04 am

Aargh wrote:Welcome, stranger You must be new to these parts. At least you must not have been here last summer when we endured more than a little hype from a few InSU fans who were convinced that 3 games in March last year was an indication of royalty this year.

We also heard how Odum was going to beat DMac for POY. Actually, we heard about Odum no matter what the original thread had been. He was brought up in about every thread as the greatest player in the history of the Valley - right up there with Larry Bird.

Karma's a B with an itch and those of us who endured the off-season out here are feeling some sweet justice for a few InSU fans who were more than impressed with their team in the off-season.

I think DU alone in 3rd is more of a surprise than InSU alone in 9th.

Like nobody was hype on the team before the 10-11 season? There were plenty of people on the indiana state boards who picked them to be top half of the conference before that season started. It's not like most of the fans didn't believe in the team at first.

People thought Odum could get player of the year and DPOY? So what?

There were people posting about Odum in every thread? Yes because you guys mentioned him in every thread as the GOAT as a joke. None of that was ISU fans. The only Odum hype I remember from an ISU fan came from Greenwell during the season sometime I think who made the thread about Odum Which wasn't that ridiculous really it's just you guys were already irritated by the one guy who always hyped ISU here.

And to respond to "lol wen dey lose dey don't post on deez boardz," It's not like this board is the world. We're still on our own boards. Just because some people don't want to post here after losing does not really mean they're bandwagoning at all.
Bawss
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » January 19th, 2012, 9:33 am

Here's the deal...Some posters at some schools come to the Valley board and talk about how great their player is, or how improved team of rooting interest will be, or they complain when someone picks their team to finish 3rd instead of 1st or 2nd. Not a problem in its self. Then, same poster comes in and complains that they are getting the shaft by media/refs/opponents fans. That gets old, but whatever...Now the problem: Fan A is not capable of realizing that other schools/programs/players/coaches are also good and that they have the same issues with the media/refs/opponents fans. It shows ignornance to MVC basketball and immaturity in life. Fan A continues his assault on the posters on this fine board and instigates other posters to correct him. So who comes to bail him out? His fellow fans. Now you've got a whole fan base looking bad. Then, mid-season, when all of their rediculous predictions are proven to be less than prophetic, where are they? Too chicken to eat their crow. Suprise victory and where are they? Right back here talking smack and complaining about how their program is getting jobbed...which lasts right up until the next game when they lose.

I'm right here and I will readily admit that I thought Colt Ryan was a mediocre player with inflated stats. I was wrong. He's very good! Nobody calls me out because guess what, I'm right here with some black feathers in my mouth.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Duan » January 19th, 2012, 9:46 am

Excellent post Wufan! I have noticed some VERY classy posts this season by WSU fans actually. I am almost starting to respect WSU fans. :o What do I consider classy? Giving credit where credit is due and not placing blame anywhere else except on your own team's efforts. One can most certainly "trash talk" before a game (that is part of the fun of a message board) but to then return after the game and praise the play by the winning team is a class act.
Duan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball