Bracketbuster Projections

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bracketbuster Projections

Postby shocker3 » January 30th, 2012, 8:49 pm

The Valley got screwed. There is no sugar coating this.

CU gets no help from playing Long Beach, it is a lose lose game. Long Beach has a decent RPI right now but because their conference is so bad it won't be great at the end of the season. They need to beat CU to have ANY chance at an at-large bid.

WSU gets no help from playing Davidson. Again a lose lose game. Davidson has a rpi of 68 and it will only get worse because most of their remaining games are against teams that are either just below or above 300 in the RPI.

UNI gets NO help from playing VCU. UNI still has a good RPI, if they could have drawn a top 50 rpi team it could have helped them. Playing a team with a RPI of 83 does nothing for UNI.

And Mo. State got screwed. Mo State and UNI both have a chance to play their way back on the ncaa bubble. Unfortunately drawing a team with a rpi of 123 doesn't help them.

I see nothing in this stupid event that will help the Valley.

It is time for the Valley to drop out of this glorified 1-AA tournament of also rans.
http://www.tomsawyer2wayradios.com
shocker3
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby thedude15 » January 30th, 2012, 9:01 pm

shocker3 wrote:The Valley got screwed. There is no sugar coating this.

CU gets no help from playing Long Beach, it is a lose lose game. Long Beach has a decent RPI right now but because their conference is so bad it won't be great at the end of the season. They need to beat CU to have ANY chance at an at-large bid.

STOP saying LBSU is not gonna have a good RPI. IF they go 15-1 in the BW (they are 9-0 and the best team) they WILL be top 50 (which is what I call decent) at the end of the year even if CU beats them. If they go 16-0 their RPI will be about the same as it currently is.
thedude15
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BirdmanBB » January 30th, 2012, 9:05 pm

Watch...Murray St. goes and loses 2 games by the bracketbuster and falls out of the rankings. Everyone will be like..Best Bracketbuster Matchups EVER!!!!
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby FeartheQ » January 30th, 2012, 9:07 pm

I don't see how Long Beach St. doesn't win their conference...
FeartheQ
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 30th, 2012, 9:09 pm

FeartheQ wrote:I don't see how Long Beach St. doesn't win their conference...

True, San Diego St doesn't join until next year (or is it the year after). Pretty Sh!tty conference....
Last edited by DoubleJayAlum on January 30th, 2012, 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby MVCfans » January 30th, 2012, 9:09 pm

A brief video comment from Doug Elgin on the matchups:

http://www.mvc-sports.com/mbasketball/n ... etbusters/
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby MSUDuo » January 30th, 2012, 9:12 pm

WSU is going to be in a world of hurt...

@MSU, @CU, @ISUr, @Davidson

They must go at least 2-2 in these games, win their home games, and get to Sunday in STL to give themselves an at large chance...
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby thedude15 » January 30th, 2012, 9:15 pm

MSUDuo wrote:WSU is going to be in a world of hurt...

@MSU, @CU, @ISUr, @Davidson

They must go at least 2-2 in these games, win their home games, and get to Sunday in STL to give themselves an at large chance...

that is also part of the problem. They make these games on Jan 30 and have to project how good the teams will do up until Feb 18th. If CU loses 2 games they are less attractive, if LBSU loses even a game they are way less attractive, if WSU drops a couple ect.
thedude15
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby shocker3 » January 30th, 2012, 9:16 pm

thedude15 wrote:
shocker3 wrote:The Valley got screwed. There is no sugar coating this.

STOP saying LBSU is not gonna have a good RPI. IF they go 15-1 in the BW (they are 9-0 and the best team) they WILL be top 50 (which is what I call decent) at the end of the year even if CU beats them. If they go 16-0 their RPI will be about the same as it currently is.

Look at the remaining Long Beach opponents RPI: 298, 294, 343, 139, 220, 250 and 202.

Even if you beat those teams your RPI is going to get worse (except for the 139 team). Ironically enough though just playing Creighton (RPI 16), will give you chance to stay in the top 50 if you can run the table.

After your next 3 games (RPI 298, 294, 343) you will out of the top 50 in all likely hood. Without the CU game winning against the 139, 220, 250 and 202 wouldn't be enough to get you back into the top 50.

I am not trying to diss Long Beach at all. I have a lot of respect for your baseball team and I have made many trips over the years to Long Beach (I love your airport) to watch the Shockers play the "Dirtbags".

I am just stating RPI facts. Your schedule is brutal for RPI purposes.

But lucky for you, getting to play a RPI 16 team is just what the doctor ordered and could keep you in the RPI top 50 come the end of the season.
http://www.tomsawyer2wayradios.com
shocker3
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ODUsmitty » January 30th, 2012, 9:17 pm

Old Dominion fan here. Seen ODU beat Bradley @ Bradley a few years back in the CIT final. Went to the Bracketbuster game @ UNI two years ago, and made some good friends there - great atmosphere. We are excited about the matchup and the return game, especially because this is a "rebuilding" year after two straight CAA crowns. 9-2 in conference, albeit the CAA is down over previous years, is good, particularly in light of graduating 3 starters. Started rough, as two players ineligible fiest semester, and the preseason CAA player of the year was rehabbing a broken foot. UNI beat us pretty well opening game, but we are a different team now, and have been improving steadily since late December. WOuld be happy to share thoughts of our team and matchup, if asked, but wanted to stop by and say we are very pleased to draw you guys in the bracketbusters.

One more thought. For the love of all things holy and sacred, please ensure UNI beats VCU in Richmond. If anyone is going to that game, please ensure you are up to date on your vaccinations and bring plenty of hand-sanitizer, as you will most definitely need it.
ODUsmitty
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball