Bracketbuster Projections

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Bracketbuster Projections

Postby MVCfans » January 30th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Yahoo nailed this - there's nothing about how it's good for the MVC:
2. Long Beach State (16-6) at Creighton (20-2), Feb. 18: Considering Long Beach State likely needs one more marquee victory to truly have a realistic shot at an at-large bid, the 49ers could not have asked for a better matchup than this. They'll travel to Omaha to face a Creighton team that leads the Missouri Valley, has a top 20 RPI and features national player of the year candidate Doug McDermott. Beating the Bluejays on the road will not be easy, but it's safe to say Long Beach State will not be intimidated by the environment. They played the nation's most difficult non-league schedule this season, beating Pittsburgh and Xavier and falling to the likes of Louisville, North Carolina, Kansas and San Diego State.

4. Wichita State (18-4) at Davidson (15-5), Feb. 18: The team with the most to complain about after the pairings were released is Wichita State, which could have easily been sent to Murray State had organizers opted to send Saint Mary's to Creighton. Instead the Shockers will travel to face Southern Conference-leading Davidson in a game that will hurt them far more if they lose than it helps them if they win. Wichita State's 9-2 conference record and non-league win over UNLV has it safely in the field of 68 as of today, but its seeding would take a hit with a road loss to Davidson. Conversely, even pairing its huge win over Kansas with one over Wichita State probably won't be enough to vault Davidson (No. 69 RPI) into at-large contention.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 3QD;_ylv=3
MVCfans
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby thedude15 » January 30th, 2012, 9:26 pm

shocker3 wrote:
thedude15 wrote:
shocker3 wrote:The Valley got screwed. There is no sugar coating this.

CU gets no help from playing Long Beach, it is a lose lose game. Long Beach has a decent RPI right now but because their conference is so bad it won't be great at the end of the season. They need to beat CU to have ANY chance at an at-large bid.

STOP saying LBSU is not gonna have a good RPI. IF they go 15-1 in the BW (they are 9-0 and the best team) they WILL be top 50 (which is what I call decent) at the end of the year even if CU beats them. If they go 16-0 their RPI will be about the same as it currently is.

Look at the remaining Long Beach opponents RPI: 298, 294, 343, 139, 220, 250 and 202.

Even if you beat those teams your RPI is going to get worse (except for the 139 team). Ironically enough though just playing Creighton (RPI 16), will give you chance to stay in the top 50 if you can run the table.

After your next 3 games (RPI 298, 294, 343) you will out of the top 50 in all likely hood. Without the CU game winning against the 139, 220, 250 and 202 wouldn't be enough to get you back into the top 50.

I am not trying to diss Long Beach at all. I have a lot of respect for your baseball team and I have made many trips over the years to Long Beach (I love your airport) to watch the Shockers play the "Dirtbags".

I am just stating RPI facts. Your schedule is brutal for RPI purposes.

But lucky for you, getting to play a RPI 16 team is just what the doctor ordered and could keep you in the RPI top 50 come the end of the season.

I am talking about the end of the season. Yes after the next 3 we are gonna drop out of the top 50. But according to rpi predictor site we only need to go 15-1 to stay top 50 PLUS now that CU is on the schedule that will help our RPI even if we do not win.
thedude15
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby thedude15 » January 30th, 2012, 9:32 pm

and I am not saying CU did not get screwed cause they did. I am just saying LBSU is a decent team that will have a decent RPI (even at the end of the season).

This sucks for CU/MVC for lots of reasons

-St marys is a better team and CU misses out on them. Plus St Marys @ CU could mean WSU @ Murray
-LBSU has a LOT to gain from beating CU (ie shot at an at large) CU on the other hand can just get another "good" win (already a lock for the NCAAT). So CU is gonna get LBSU A+++ game. I still think CU will win by at least a couple of possessions but they are gonna get LBSU best shot.

But one side benefit for CU is a trip to so cal. They could try to attach USC or UCLA to the road trip or at the very least another mid-low major school (LMU BW schools ect).
thedude15
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BirdmanBB » January 30th, 2012, 9:38 pm

thedude15 wrote:and I am not saying CU did not get screwed cause they did. I am just saying LBSU is a decent team that will have a decent RPI (even at the end of the season).

-St marys is a better team and CU misses out on them. Plus St Marys @ CU could mean WSU @ Murray
-LBSU has a LOT to gain from beating CU (ie shot at an at large) CU on the other hand can just get another "good" win (already a lock for the NCAAT). So CU is gonna get LBSU A+++ game. I still think CU will win by at least a couple of possessions but they are gonna get LBSU best shot.

But one side benefit for CU is a trip to so cal. They could try to attach USC or UCLA to the road trip or at the very least another mid-low major school (LMU BW schools ect).

We try not to play guarantee games in the MVC. Maybe they could try to set up a home/home with St. Marys on the return from this.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby thedude15 » January 30th, 2012, 9:44 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:
thedude15 wrote:and I am not saying CU did not get screwed cause they did. I am just saying LBSU is a decent team that will have a decent RPI (even at the end of the season).

We try not to play guarantee games in the MVC. Maybe they could try to set up a home/home with St. Marys on the return from this.

I figured MVC teams are above 1 and dones but maybe CU could make an exception for UCLA or USC. Or maybe start a series with one of them (but I doubt they wanna travel to Neb to play a tough road game).

Moraga is really not that close to so cal.
thedude15
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Jet915 » January 30th, 2012, 9:56 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:

I mentioned this on the Creighton board but the one positive from this is that in 2013, we play in the 76 Classic in Anaheim so hopefully we can dovetail LBSU before that tournament.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby thedude15 » January 30th, 2012, 10:15 pm

Jet915 wrote:
BirdmanBB wrote:

I mentioned this on the Creighton board but the one positive from this is that in 2013, we play in the 76 Classic in Anaheim so hopefully we can dovetail LBSU before that tournament.

Maybe. But I am pretty sure LBSU will want the game when the students are in session not on Thanksgiving break (not only are the students gone by fans are also gone visiting relatives) and I am sure they would like it to be a Saturday game.

I am guessing the return game is just a team effort between the schools to find a date that works. LBSU would probably want the Sat before the 76 tourney but I am guessing that would be way to early (I believe there are limits on how long you can be away from campus) so maybe the Monday the week of the 76 tourney or the Tues after. So you guys would play Monday?, Thur, Fri, Sun, Tues?. But if it is any latter then Monday 80% of the students will be gone and LBSU would want to avoid that if at all possible.
thedude15
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BirdmanBB » January 30th, 2012, 10:21 pm

Jet915 wrote:
BirdmanBB wrote:

We will probably do the same thing with Oakland when Jank finds out that Michigan Technical Insititute of Heating and Air Conditioning is hosting the basketball travelers world vision classic.

....i kid...i kid.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » January 30th, 2012, 10:23 pm

I doubt most schools do favors to other teams when it comes to returns. McDermott...."how does a tuesday sound in late December....take it or leave it"
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby thedude15 » January 30th, 2012, 10:29 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:I doubt most schools do favors to other teams when it comes to returns. McDermott...."how does a tuesday sound in late December....take it or leave it"

But by hooking it up to the 76 classic LBSU would be doing CU the favor.

who makes the call? The home team or road team. Who mediates if a date can not be agreed on?
thedude15
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball