Missouri St at Bradley - 7pm

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Missouri St at Bradley - 7pm

Postby cpacmel » January 23rd, 2012, 9:56 pm

glm38 wrote:Good observation. Scheer hasn't played well at all this year. Big things were expected because he did have a good year as a freshman.

I was shocked last year when he made the All-Freshman team. He only averaged 4.1 ppg and 1.8 boards per game. He did shoot 36% from trey.

I thought Jon Ekey should have taken his spot on that team. Ekey averaged 4.6 ppg and 4.0 boards per game. Ekey also had 51 blocks, which was among the league leaders last year.

But these awards tend to go to the players on teams that do well in the standings, and not to deserving players. :(
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MoValley John » January 23rd, 2012, 11:03 pm

Generally, teams that "do well" coincidentally have a group of "deserving" players. And also surprising, having a group of "deserving" players is usually what makes teams "do well." Sometimes, guys get missed in the mix, but at the same time, being a FOY can be difficult on a team that "does well" because there just may be a "deserving" player in front of that potential "deserving" player, eating up minutes.
There are three rules that I live by, never get less than 12 hours sleep, never gamble with a guy who has the same first name as a city and never get involved with a chick with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Stick to that and everything else is gravy!
MoValley John
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » January 24th, 2012, 10:33 am

MoValley John wrote:Generally, teams that "do well" coincidentally have a group of "deserving" players. And also surprising, having a group of "deserving" players is usually what makes teams "do well." Sometimes, guys get missed in the mix, but at the same time, being a FOY can be difficult on a team that "does well" because there just may be a "deserving" player in front of that potential "deserving" player, eating up minutes.

Correct. Im guessing had Jon Ekey been on the MSU team and Scheer on the ISU team their stats would have varied quite a bit from what the were with their respective teams. That said, I like Ekey as a player better than Scheer righ night.

That's why Taylor Brown is an interesting case. I THINK he is one of the top players in the MVC but he plays on a brutal team. Hard to gauge really.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball