Standings after 9 games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Standings after 9 games

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 23rd, 2012, 3:36 pm

valleychamp wrote:Yep, lol, keep it coming. You can keep trashing UNI, I don't care. Our attendance does suck.

This has nothing to do with UNI. This is about your claims that Creighton is always the big draw for opposing team. In fact, this is exactly what you said:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:That is not what I'm arguing at all. I'm arguing that certain schools are a better draw than other schools regardless of the circumstances.

I have pointed out otherwise, but you continue to ignore the statistics. Creighton draws well on the road when they are good. Which is no different from what all the top teams in the league in the last several years. And when CU was not good, they did not draw anywhere near what you claim that they would.

So a big draw means they always have to be the #1 draw? Wrong.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 3:38 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
valleychamp wrote:Yep, lol, keep it coming. You can keep trashing UNI, I don't care. Our attendance does suck.

This has nothing to do with UNI. This is about your claims that Creighton is always the big draw for opposing team. In fact, this is exactly what you said:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:That is not what I'm arguing at all. I'm arguing that certain schools are a better draw than other schools regardless of the circumstances.

I have pointed out otherwise, but you continue to ignore the statistics. Creighton draws well on the road when they are good. Which is no different from what all the top teams in the league in the last several years. And when CU was not good, they did not draw anywhere near what you claim that they would.

So a big draw means they always have to be the #1 draw? Wrong.

Where did I say that?
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby iSASO » January 23rd, 2012, 3:39 pm

What do you all say with this stat on the table:

For WSU, both Creighton and SIU drew the same number of fans this season.

That really blows up all of your self-aggrandized calculations, especially you, Creighton fan.
Random MVCFans.com member, circa 2007: "Gregg Marshall is in over his head in this conference."
iSASO
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TrueBlueJay » January 23rd, 2012, 3:41 pm

Does anyone know what the standings are after 9 games? I can't seem to find them in this thread. :huh:
TrueBlueJay
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby DoubleJayAlum » January 23rd, 2012, 3:44 pm

valleychamp wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Valleychamp, got any links for you attendance figures. Also, why leave out so many games (you know, the ones that disprove your point) along with the entire years of '08-09 and '10-11?

All the stats are from the MVC website.

I used those years because they are the only comparable years to this season with a ranked CU, they were the ones that we had discussed, and they were the years that you that you specifically referenced in one of your posts. In both of those years, there was a clear league champ, which was also ranked. In '09 and '11, there was not any ranked teams, or any clear top team.

One year does not a trend make. Also, links please.

I'd also add that, I think that MSU might be surprised to find out that they were not clearly the top team last year (2011).

I suspect you left out 2009 because Creighton sold out UNI arena that year, just like they did this year. I know they did because I was at the game and specifically remember hearing the arena PA emphatically make this declaration. I remember looking around after the declaration and seeing all of the blue in the arena as well. To be fair, those may not have been all Creighton fans - they could have been Iowa or Iowa St fans that just put on a shirt that day without paying particular attention to the color. All I know is that they weren't UNI fans, hence they were there to see the opponent, not the home team.

I think what you did with respect to the numbers you have chosen to provide (without links, I may add) is pick and choose individual games that satisfy your thesis. I appreciate a bit of intellectual dishonesty as much as the next guy, but I'm also gonna call it out when I see it.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby valleychamp » January 23rd, 2012, 3:51 pm

DoubleJayAlum wrote:
valleychamp wrote:
DoubleJayAlum wrote:Valleychamp, got any links for you attendance figures. Also, why leave out so many games (you know, the ones that disprove your point) along with the entire years of '08-09 and '10-11?

All the stats are from the MVC website.

I used those years because they are the only comparable years to this season with a ranked CU, they were the ones that we had discussed, and they were the years that you that you specifically referenced in one of your posts. In both of those years, there was a clear league champ, which was also ranked. In '09 and '11, there was not any ranked teams, or any clear top team.

One year does not a trend make. Also, links please.

I'd also add that, I think that MSU might be surprised to find out that they were not clearly the top team last year (2011).

I suspect you left out 2009 because Creighton sold out UNI arena that year, just like they did this year. I know they did because I was at the game and specifically remember hearing the arena PA emphatically make this declaration. I remember looking around after the declaration and seeing all of the blue in the arena as well. To be fair, those may not have been all Creighton fans - they could have been Iowa or Iowa St fans that just put on a shirt that day without paying particular attention to the color. All I know is that they weren't UNI fans, hence they were there to see the opponent, not the home team.

I think what you did with respect to the numbers you have chosen to provide (without links, I may add) is pick and choose individual games that satisfy your thesis. I appreciate a bit of intellectual dishonesty as much as the next guy, but I'm also gonna call it out when I see it.

LOL!, no.

I have not even looked into those other years, because as I have already pointed out, they are not comparable to this year. Not even close.

In '09 CU tied UNI for the league title, and CU did not even make the tournament. Not to mention UNI was nowhere near the top 25.

Last year, MSU was tied with wichita until the last day, and neither were nowhere near the top 25 and neither of them were tournament teams.

Get it? With the Drake and UNI teams, it was very similar to this year with a defined front runner that is in the top 25 and a likely tournament team. Pretty simple.

With regards to your little pointless comment about the CU game at UNI, that was a late season saturday game between the two top teams in the league. That was a big game between the two best teams, of course it sold out. It had nothing to do with the name "Creighton". We also sold out Evansville that year with a championship on the line.

And here's your link (as if I made it up :roll: ) http://www.mvc-sports.com/mbasketball/paststats/
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » January 23rd, 2012, 3:58 pm

TrueBlueJay wrote:Does anyone know what the standings are after 9 games? I can't seem to find them in this thread. :huh:

:+1:
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kyle » January 23rd, 2012, 4:56 pm

LOL at the logic in this thread.

DoubleJ: Fans only show up because CU is in town.
Valleychamp: That's because CU is really good this year.
DoubleJ: No!!! It's only because we're CU and we're always important.
Valleychamp: No, it's only because you are good. When CU wasn't good, nobody showed up. (includes data)
DoubleJ: Not true! Your logic is all wrong. Stop trying to cover up the fact UNI has bad attendance.
Valleychap: I know UNI has terrible attendance. What does this have to do with our conversation?
DoubleJ: I still don't believe you. Where did you even get your figures?
Valleychamp: I got them from the MVC website.
DoubleJ: Show me the links or it didn't happen!!!
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby NEI Panther » January 23rd, 2012, 5:26 pm

I have posted a link to attendance numbers in the past on how Texas Tech calculates it's attendance, which is by tickets spoken for, of which, they count every possible person that may be at the game as in attendance, down to cheerleaders and media persons. It showed a large decrepency from the number of people who actually attended the game, some games had over a 5000 person descrepency from actual fans at the game.

Iowa Football for years stated how they had sell out after sell out, but yet if you were at the game it would leave you scratching your head on how they could call it a sell out.

UNI played a road game (Bradley I think) where the annonced attenance was 8,223 and Gary Rima made a comment on the radio that it was well short of that mark.

So we know that UNI announces it's attendance with tickets scanned (butts in the seats). All most all of our seat backs are sold out to season ticket holders, who for some reason don't show up. It looks terrible on TV when these people don't show up, yet the tickets are sold and we are understating our attendance compared to other schools.

How does your school announce it's attendance?
NEI Panther
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby cpacmel » January 23rd, 2012, 5:31 pm

Illinois State does tickets scanned as well.
cpacmel
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball