Grade your team or other teams if you wish

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Aces1982 » January 22nd, 2012, 10:54 pm

For UE it is mixed emotions. Lots of people, including the poll done here before the season started, had UE finishing in the top 4. However, after the pre-conference schedule, most people had UE finishing in the bottom 3 spots. After 9 games, UE is 5-4 and tied for 3rd with 2 road wins(Missouri St and UNI) and 3 losses by a total 5 points. UE remaining schedule looks like: @ Wichita, Indiana St, @Bradley, @SIU, Creighton, @Drake, UNI, @Creighton and Missouri St.

To stay in the top 4, going 3-1 at home is a must and at leat 2-3 on the road.

I would have to give UE a D for the pre-conference performance but a B for the first 9 games in conference. A 12-6 or 11-7 record is not out of the question. The bad part is, a 7-11 or 8-10 record is not out of the question as well. But the way UE has been playing as of late, I would like to think the 12-6 or 11-7 would be more accurate.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Grade your team or other teams if you wish

Postby valleychamp » January 22nd, 2012, 10:57 pm

What grade should we give Drake?

Anybody?...
UNI FIGHT
valleychamp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DUBulldog » January 22nd, 2012, 11:01 pm

valleychamp wrote:What grade should we give Drake?

Anybody?...

D+

Is that what you were looking for?
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Hail Our Panthers » January 22nd, 2012, 11:07 pm

Going to give UNI's non-con performance an A-

and their conference play performance a C
Hail Our Panthers
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Kyle » January 22nd, 2012, 11:15 pm

My ratings are based on potential/expectations vs actual league performance. I'm not taking into consideration non-conference performance.

CU and WSU both get an A-
Drake gets a B+
MSU and EU get a B
ISUred gets a C
UNI gets a C-
SIU and Bradley get a D
ISUblue gets an F
Kyle
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 23rd, 2012, 2:09 am

Kyle wrote:My ratings are based on potential/expectations vs actual league performance. I'm not taking into consideration non-conference performance.

CU and WSU both get an A-
Drake gets a B+
MSU and EU get a B
ISUred gets a C
UNI gets a C-
SIU and Bradley get a D
ISUblue gets an F

I largely agree with the above, but I would give SIU a B-. I did not think they would win three all conference season.

As to Ace Dad's post. I'll agree with the grading, however, @ WSU and two against CU will make better than 11-7 on the year difficult. Evansville will certainly not be favored in those three, and if the odds makers are correct on those, that means that the Aces will need to go 3-0 against the cellar and 3-0 against the middle of the pack. Doable, but difficult with a lack of an inside presence. That's a lot of good shooting nights.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdmanBB » January 23rd, 2012, 9:53 am

I would agree with a C for the redbirds. I think we have the talent to do well this year, but there seems to be this wall that we can't break through. It seems that we don't want to show up and start playing teams until the 2nd half of most games. Still looking for that major turningpoint game. Hopefully we find it soon.
BirdmanBB
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » January 23rd, 2012, 12:15 pm

UNI:

Some nights - A+

the rest of the nights - D-

Average grade of C

However, given the lack of experience UNI actually has on the floor it could be argued UNI is closer to B-
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » January 23rd, 2012, 12:53 pm

BirdmanBB wrote:I would agree with a C for the redbirds. I think we have the talent to do well this year, but there seems to be this wall that we can't break through. It seems that we don't want to show up and start playing teams until the 2nd half of most games. Still looking for that major turningpoint game. Hopefully we find it soon.

I thought the win at Missouri State was the one to get us over the hump, but we then laid eggs in other games.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby DUBulldog » January 23rd, 2012, 12:57 pm

uniftw wrote:UNI:

Some nights - A+

the rest of the nights - D-

Average grade of C

However, given the lack of experience UNI actually has on the floor it could be argued UNI is closer to B-

I could also say the same about Drake. Really good some nights, horrible on others.

Both are young teams (only 1 senior starter between them), so probably not surprising.

With the exception of Iowa State, Evansville and possibly the UNI game in Des Moines, I'd say that Drake has won the games I've expected them to win and lost the games I expected them to lose. Most of the wins have been by a wide margin....same with the losses. Very few close games. Could've been a different season with Van Deest, Uhlenhopp and Wiseler available. (Van Deest and Uhlenhopp out for the season with injuries, Wiseler quit the team prior to the season due to lingering injuries that caused him to miss most of last year).
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball